Tracks Missing From The New Box Set.

On 7/2/2018 at 12:40 PM, zombux said:

update on this topic - including only tracks that are circulating on other bootlegs but not included in the boxset or Super Deluxe Editoin:

Mystic Sessions - all tracks are included on the hidden bonus cassette of L&L boxset

Sound City Sessions - 4 2 tracks missing: Rocket Queen (take 2), Nice Boys (other take than "we're not"), Heartbreak Hotel ("since my baby left me" intro), Don't Cry.

Pasha Sessions - harder to tell here; Suicide EP + SOYL (same as at Live from the Jungle EP) are included, but with fake crowd - so technically complete Pasha (13 15 tracks) is still missing in its original state

Lies Sessions - 4 tracks missing: One In A Million (alt. take), Used To Love Her (alt. take), Cornshucker, and of course the official album version of One In A Million (from Lies)

26 missing AFD/Lies tracks altogether.

correction:

two tracks previously thought to be from Sound City Sessions (other takes of Nice Boys and Heartbreak Hotel) in fact seem to be other takes from Pasha. not 100% sure, but almost sure. 

credit and thanks go to @Nikki_Sixx who spent ridiculous amount of time doing thorough listening tests and this is the conclusion.

the rest of info is still accurate as of now.

20 hours ago, zombux said:

correction:

two tracks previously thought to be from Sound City Sessions (other takes of Nice Boys and Heartbreak Hotel) in fact seem to be other takes from Pasha. not 100% sure, but almost sure. 

credit and thanks go to @Nikki_Sixx who spent ridiculous amount of time doing thorough listening tests and this is the conclusion.

the rest of info is still accurate as of now.

Another uncirculated (never bootlegged) track: 'Heartbreak Hotel' from the Mystic session.  Confirmed (by Marc Canter) to have been recorded, but was not on the original demo tape.  Might be lost forever.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I'm still perplexed as to why they used the instrumental version of Ain't Goin Down No More instead of the version with vocals?

I don’t think the vocals were recorded until later. 

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

They still could've included it as a bonus track. Sucks to have an instrumental officially released when a vocally complete version exists.

That version is much longer, and was recorded during the Illusion era

19 hours ago, Towelie said:

They still could've included it as a bonus track. Sucks to have an instrumental officially released when a vocally complete version exists.

As others have said before, why put something recorded in 1990 on an AFD reissue? Steven may very well not even be on that, so there could be Matt on the drums on that UYI vocal recording, and that would make even less sense to include then. Too bad they only recorded vocal-less in 1986 but that's what we get, 1986-1988 sessions from the AFD tour era. What WOULD make sense is to use that track, as it's the only known song from UYI they didn't include on the albums, as a lead single the way they used SOYL for an UYI boxset.

I'm more pissed they didn't include all those drum machine demos Axl did with West Arkeen in 1985-86 like Crash Diet, Just Another Sunday, the Izzy sung Bad Obsession and the list goes on.. They must be saving those for something else like a complete rare track compilation box or something. That was a dumb move not to put those on otherwise.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

47 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I'm more pissed they didn't include all those drum machine demos Axl did with West Arkeen in 1985-86 like Crash Diet, Just Another Sunday, the Izzy sung Bad Obsession and the list goes on.. They must be saving those for something else like a complete rare track compilation box or something. That was a dumb move not to put those on otherwise.

I knew they'd never use those. Slash said those songs were more about West and his guitar than actual GN'R songs. Besides it's a drum machine and West playing guitar, not Slash. At least the demos on L&L are the original Fab 5. I'm more disillusioned at the fact they didn't include every single demo made, just most.

20 minutes ago, 31illusions said:

I knew they'd never use those. Slash said those songs were more about West and his guitar than actual GN'R songs. Besides it's a drum machine and West playing guitar, not Slash. At least the demos on L&L are the original Fab 5. I'm more disillusioned at the fact they didn't include every single demo made, just most.

Yes but it was still something they did during the AFD era and unless they release a full rare tracks boxset this would've been the place to put them. And you are right it's inexcusable they didn't include the Nightrain demo with the alternate intro/rain pouring sound effect or the SCOM demo for example. I wonder what reason they had for that

I honestly cannot fathom why Sound City's ''Rocket Queen #Take 2'' and ''Don't Cry'' were left off. They basically remastered/released almost all of the Sound City stuff. For the sake of tidiness, surely it would at least been logical to include them?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I honestly cannot fathom why Sound City's ''Rocket Queen #Take 2'' and ''Don't Cry'' were left off. They basically remastered/released almost all of the Sound City stuff. For the sake of tidiness, surely it would at least been logical to include them?

Also there is plenty of room left on each disc to include all the songs. I made my own track list, which includes both songs and more. They Fit right in.

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I honestly cannot fathom why Sound City's ''Rocket Queen #Take 2'' and ''Don't Cry'' were left off. 

and also the other two takes of Heartbreak Hotel and Nice Boys. but some legal shit might been there, like some other company (Cleopatra?) might have bought the reels or something like that.

7 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

As others have said before, why put something recorded in 1990 on an AFD reissue? Steven may very well not even be on that, so there could be Matt on the drums on that UYI vocal recording, and that would make even less sense to include then. Too bad they only recorded vocal-less in 1986 but that's what we get, 1986-1988 sessions from the AFD tour era. What WOULD make sense is to use that track, as it's the only known song from UYI they didn't include on the albums, as a lead single the way they used SOYL for an UYI boxset.

It just strikes me as odd to have an instrumental version of a song officially released by the band, when a vocally completed version exists. So what if it was finished up in the UYI era.... it still would've been a cool bonus to the set and I don't think anyone would've complained "this isn't AFD-era."

On 9/7/2018 at 10:50 PM, Towelie said:

I'm still perplexed as to why they used the instrumental version of Ain't Goin Down No More instead of the version with vocals?

Probably ain't goin down no more Will be the "single" for the use your illusion box set, maybe (and the don't cry demo Will feature in the b-sides bonus disc)

Edited by Joe Pedregal

I think the reason for the November Rain demos being included unlike the Don't Cry demo might have come down to how similar to the final version the demos sound? 

The NR demos are really different from UYI NR, unlike the Don't Cry demos. Still makes it kind of weird that they included the Mystic Don't Cry, though. 

Since I downloaded these songs, I chose to rearrange some songs to make it flow better on each CD and included some tracks that were missing. This list took every second of space on 3 CD's. I believe I have everything available. I didn't include Cornshucker and OIAM because the sound quality was so off compared to the newly released demos. If there's anything missing let me know.

CD #1. GN'R LIES and all acoustic songs. Starts with New single, kicks into GN'R LIES and ends with Live at The Marquee.

1. SOYL (new 2018) 2. Reckless Life (GN'R Lies) 3. Nice Boys (GN'R lies) 4. Move to the City (GN'R lies) 5. Mama Kin (GN'R lies) 6. SOYL (GN'R Lies) 7. Patience (GN'R Lies) 8. UTLH (GN'R Lies) 9. You're Crazy (GN'R Lies) 10. Move To The City (1988 acoustic) 11. You're Crazy (WTTJ B-side) 12. Don't Cry (HQ demo / 1991 single) 13. November Rain (acoustic) 14. New Work Tune (acoustic) 15. Jumpin' Jack Flash (acoustic version) 16. Move to the City (west cost junkie acoustic) 17. You're crazy (acoustic) 18. It's so Easy (Marquee) 19. KOHD (Marquee) 20. Whole Lotta' Rosie (Marquee)

CD #2. Sound City Demos. Appetite and Live Like a Suicide in chronological order, with additional tracks near the end.

1. WTTJ (demo) 2. Nightrain (demo) 3. Out Ta' Get Me (demo) 4. Paradise City (demo) 5. My Michelle (demo) 6. Think About You (demo) 7. You're Crazy (electric demo) 8. Anything Goes (demo) 9. Rocket Queen (take #1) 10. Reckless Life. (demo) 11. Nice Boys (demo) 12. Move to the City (demo) 13. Mama Kin (demo) 14. SOYL (demo) 15. The Plague (demo) 16. Heartbreak Hotel (demo) 17. Jumpin' Jack Flash (demo) 18. Ain't Goin' Down (demo) 19. Back Off Bitch (demo) 20. Don't Cry (demo #2)

CD #3. Pashsa and Mystic studio demos with additional tracks not included on L&L box set.

1. WTTJ (HQ from Alan Niven CD) 2. You're Crazy (HQ from Alan Niven CD) 3. Heartbreak Hotel (HQ from Alan Niven CD) 4. Jumpin' Jack Flash (HQ from Alan Niven CD) 5. November Rain (piano demo) 6. WTTJ (mystic demo) 7. Anything Goes (mystic demo) 8. Think About you (mystic demo) 9. Back Off Bitch (mystic demo) 10. Don't Cry (slower demo #3) 11. SCOM (guitar fade in) 12. Nightrain (alt. intro) 13. Mr. Brownstone (demo) 14. Rocket Queen (take #2) 15. Nice boys (alt. lyrics) 16. Heartbreak Hotel (since my baby left me intro)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 31illusions said:

Since I downloaded these songs, I chose to rearrange some songs to make it flow better on each CD and included some tracks that were missing. This list took every second of space on 3 CD's. I believe I have everything available. I didn't include Cornshucker and OIAM because the sound quality was so off compared to the newly released demos. If there's anything missing let me know.

CD #1. GN'R LIES and all acoustic songs. Starts with New single, kicks into GN'R LIES and ends with Live at The Marquee.

1. SOYL (new 2018) 2. Reckless Life (GN'R Lies) 3. Nice Boys (GN'R lies) 4. Move to the City (GN'R lies) 5. Mama Kin (GN'R lies) 6. SOYL (GN'R Lies) 7. Patience (GN'R Lies) 8. UTLH (GN'R Lies) 9. You're Crazy (GN'R Lies) 10. Move To The City (1988 acoustic) 11. You're Crazy (WTTJ B-side) 12. Don't Cry (HQ demo / 1991 single) 13. November Rain (acoustic) 14. New Work Tune (acoustic) 15. Jumpin' Jack Flash (acoustic version) 16. Move to the City (west cost junkie acoustic) 17. You're crazy (acoustic) 18. It's so Easy (Marquee) 19. KOHD (Marquee) 20. Whole Lotta' Rosie (Marquee)

CD #2. Sound City Demos. Appetite and Live Like a Suicide in chronological order, with additional tracks near the end.

1. WTTJ (demo) 2. Nightrain (demo) 3. Out Ta' Get Me (demo) 4. Paradise City (demo) 5. My Michelle (demo) 6. Think About You (demo) 7. You're Crazy (electric demo) 8. Anything Goes (demo) 9. Rocket Queen (take #1) 10. Reckless Life. (demo) 11. Nice Boys (demo) 12. Move to the City (demo) 13. Mama Kin (demo) 14. SOYL (demo) 15. The Plague (demo) 16. Heartbreak Hotel (demo) 17. Jumpin' Jack Flash (demo) 18. Ain't Goin' Down (demo) 19. Back Off Bitch (demo) 20. Don't Cry (demo #2)

CD #3. Pashsa and Mystic studio demos with additional tracks not included on L&L box set.

1. WTTJ (HQ from Alan Niven CD) 2. You're Crazy (HQ from Alan Niven CD) 3. Heartbreak Hotel (HQ from Alan Niven CD) 4. Jumpin' Jack Flash (HQ from Alan Niven CD) 5. November Rain (piano demo) 6. WTTJ (mystic demo) 7. Anything Goes (mystic demo) 8. Think About you (mystic demo) 9. Back Off Bitch (mystic demo) 10. Don't Cry (slower demo #3) 11. SCOM (guitar fade in) 12. Nightrain (alt. intro) 13. Mr. Brownstone (demo) 14. Rocket Queen (take #2) 15. Nice boys (alt. lyrics) 16. Heartbreak Hotel (since my baby left me intro)

This looks awesome 31illusions! Can you tell me what sources you used to make this? I would like to make something like this but I am not very knowledgeable about Demos, sessions and dates. If you could help that would be great!  Again looks awesome!

Cheers!

49 minutes ago, TheWalrus67 said:

This looks awesome 31illusions! Can you tell me what sources you used to make this? I would like to make something like this but I am not very knowledgeable about Demos, sessions and dates. If you could help that would be great!  Again looks awesome!

Cheers!

Sure. I'll do my best with the info. CD #1 & 2 are the demos from the new box set. I got them from torrents online. The "Don't Cry" HQ demo is from the 1991 single (found in the download section here) The Pasha HQ demos are from the Alan Niven CD called Jumpin' AX Flash. I got from another forum (but I see it's available in the download section also) Mystic studio demos were taken from the hidden cassette in the L&L box set (which someone shared with me here) On CD #3 songs 10 -16 I got individually from other forums or asking someone to send me a link. I used this list from Nikki_Sixx to help me out. Then I just rearranged the songs to my preference.

- Mystic Studio (August '85) :
'Welcome To The Jungle' + 'Anything Goes' + 'Don't Cry' (officially released) + 'Back Off Bitch' + 'Think About You'

-> ALL of these were bootlegged in the late 80's.  Recently surfaced in pristine quality by Troccolli.

- Sound City Studios (June '86):
'Out Ta Get Me' + 'Rocket Queen' (2 takes) + 'Nightrain' + 'My Michelle' + 'You’re Crazy' + 'Paradise City' + 'Move To The City' + 'November Rain [Acoustic] + 'Shadow Of Your Love' (officially released) + 'Reckless Life' + 'Think About You' + 'Welcome To The Jungle' + 'Don’t Cry' + 'Nice Boys + 'Back Off Bitch' + 'Anything Goes' + 'Mama Kin' + 'Heartbreak Hotel' + 'Ain’t Going Down'  [Instrumental] + 'Jumping Jack Flash' + 'Jumping Jack Flash' [Acoustic] + 'November Rain' [Piano] + 'West Coast Junkie' [Acoustic] / 'Move To The City' [Acoustic]

- Pasha Studios (August '86)
'Reckless Life' (offically released) + ' Nice Boys' (offically released) + 'Move To The City' (offically released)  + 'Mama Kin' (offically released) + 'Shadow Of Your Love' (offically released) + 'Welcome To The Jungle' + 'You're Crazy' + 'Heartbreak Hotel' + 'Jumpin' Jack Flash' + 'Mr. Brownstone' + 'Nightrain' + 'Sweet Child O' Mine' + 'Don't Cry'

->8 of these were surfaced in pristine quality by Alan Niven.

• Like 1

Officially released b-sides missing from the AFD boxset :

1. Mr. Brownstone [alt. mix]

2. Welcome To The Jungle [All Dayparts edit]

3. Sweet Child O' Mine [All Dayparts edit]

4. Welcome To The Jungle [CHR edit]

5. Sweet Child O' Mine [edit]

Known/circulating Demos missing from the AFD boxset :

1. Welcome To The Jungle
2. Anything Goes
3. Don't Cry
4. Back Off Bitch
5. Think About You

1-5: Mystic Sound Studio, Selma Avenue, Hollywood, CA 90028, August 1985.

6. Nice Boys [alt. take]
7. Heartbreak Hotel [alt. take]
8. Rocket Queen [alt. take]
9. Don't Cry

6-9: Sound City Studios, Cabrito Road, Van Nuys, CA 91406, June 4/5 1986.

10. Jumpin' Jack Flash
11. You're Crazy
12. Reckless Life [without fake crowd noise]
13. Heartbreak Hotel

14. Shadow Of Your Love [without fake crowd noise]
15. Welcome To The Jungle
16. Move To The City [without fake crowd noise]
17. Mama Kin [without fake crowd noise]
18. Nice Boys [without fake crowd noise]
19. Mr. Brownstone
20. Nightrain
21. Sweet Child O' Mine
22. Don't Cry

10-22: Pasha Music House Studio, Melrose Avenue, Hollywood, CA 90028, August 1986.

23. One In A Million [alt. take]
24. Used To Love Her [alt. take]
25. Cornchucker

23-25: Take One Recording Studios, Glenwood Place, Burbank, CA 91506, July 29 1987.

Edited by Nikki_Sixx
  • Like 1

@Nikki_Sixx let me correct you a bit - the list you posted is 100% correct if you talk AFD Super Deluxe Edition. 

if you talk about the Locked N' Loaded Box set, numbers 1-5 are in there on the hidden bonus cassette.

+ also missing from any AFD re-release is One In A Million (album version from GNR Lies) - probably recorded in Rumbo Studios, January 1988.

• Like 1

On 20/07/2018 at 10:54 PM, zombux said:

@Nikki_Sixx let me correct you a bit - the list you posted is 100% correct if you talk AFD Super Deluxe Edition. 

if you talk about the Locked N' Loaded Box set, numbers 1-5 are in there on the hidden bonus cassette.

+ also missing from any AFD re-release is One In A Million (album version from GNR Lies) - probably recorded in Rumbo Studios, January 1988.

With the Rumbo thing, my best guess - and this is just speculation - is that the did overdubs for the the Image sessions were done at Rumbo. Most of the Lies stuff has electric guitar through it, and had a bit more production than the Move To The City that just came out. My guess is they recorded the 4 songs (ie not Patience as it was from 87 sessions) acoustic at Imagine, decided at that point that MTTC would hit the floor and went into Rumbo to put the finishing touches on the other 3 that made it onto Lies.

Raz Cue says in his book (p271 if you want to look), that they were doing lead, backup vocals for 2 songs, plus percussion and whistling at Rumbo. He specifically refers to Million and puts the timing after the Aerosmith tour.

A few things from other threads - not sure if someone has a recording of ‘Sunny Lovers Day’ from the West Arleen demo, but I had always assumed that this was just the correct title of Just Another Sunday.

You asked about stuff missing from the box set. The one that definitely exists is the Its So Easy with the clean lyrics. This got released to DJs in the UK when the single was first released. Axl recorded different lyrics in places for this and in other places it seems the vocals are edited together to replace the swearing. I’ve got a couple of copies on vinyl and a low quality version of it is on YouTube. Even though it’s known about, people seem to keep forgetting about it.

Im sure I’ve also got more officially released edits of tunes off Appetite than you’ve listed. I don’t know them off the top of my head though but can dig them out if you are interested. None of them are exciting though - I think the main Sweet Child edit is the only one of significance.

Out of interest, that reminds me that while it seems everyone knows about the two Sweet Child videos now, only some are aware there are two different versions of Jungle, basically the same but with a couple of scenes edited out. Hardly anyone seems to know however that there were also 2 different edits of Patience, they are almost identical however only very slight differences. I only ever recall seeing one on YouTube, but I have the other on VHS.

The other thing I know that was recorded for Appetite is a guy named Jeff Fenster recorded harmonica parts for Nightrain. I’ve never heard it and have no idea if a mix was ever produced, but I’m pretty confident it was recorded.

Also, I haven’t listened to the demos in a while but I’m pretty sure I have 2 Back Off Bitch demos, and I don’t recall ever having the Mystic demo so I’m not sure where the other Back off comes from. I have this on mp3 so can easily dig it out if of interest. The other unusual thing is when I originally got the Pasha demos (or at least some of them as I’m trying to remember back over 20 years now, but Sweet Child and Nighttrain demos are on this tape, plus other demos but what is also on there is the Anything Goes version similar to what is on the Hollywood Rose Roots of GNR CD. I got this tape in the early 90s so a long time before Roots came out so at the time just assumed it was an early version of the song. I’ve never listened back to compare it to Roots, so unsure if it is the same or different, but I’m pretty sure no other Rose songs are on this demo tape, so it’s all a bit odd.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Euchre said:

Also, I haven’t listened to the demos in a while but I’m pretty sure I have 2 Back Off Bitch demos, and I don’t recall ever having the Mystic demo so I’m not sure where the other Back off comes from. I have this on mp3 so can easily dig it out if of interest. 

thanks for your input! much appreciated!

the other Back off Bitch demo might be the one from UYI sessions (Axl's Advance Copy or similar source).

7 minutes ago, zombux said:

thanks for your input! much appreciated!

the other Back off Bitch demo might be the one from UYI sessions (Axl's Advance Copy or similar source).

It’s an old demo, definitely 86 or before. After I posted I started thinking maybe it’s Mystic - is there some place I can listen to Mystic ?

i also started to wonder if that Anything Goes was Mystic as well - is the Mystic version like Roots or like Sound City ?

Edited by Euchre

10 hours ago, Euchre said:

The one that definitely exists is the Its So Easy with the clean lyrics. This got released to DJs in the UK when the single was first released. Axl recorded different lyrics in places for this and in other places it seems the vocals are edited together to replace the swearing. I’ve got a couple of copies on vinyl and a low quality version of it is on YouTube. Even though it’s known about, people seem to keep forgetting about it.

Dang, Never knew of this. It's great! I Learned something new.

• Like 2