Guns N' Roses - Rocket Queen - Rock in Rio III vs. Rock in Rio VII

Rock in Rio III (2001) vs Rock in Rio VII (2017)  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

line-up: Axl Rose, Robin Finck, Buckethead, Paul Tobias, Tommy Stinson, Bryan Mantia, Dizzy Reed, Chris Pitman

ljne-up: Axl Rose, Slash, Richard Fortus, Duff McKagan, Frank Ferrer, Dizzy Reed, Melissa Reese

Which live performance do you like better?

I have to go with RIR III. Pitman's synth noises stick out like a sore thumb, and you can tell Axl has not reacclimated to singing the old songs in a high energy environment (although he manages to nail it in the outro), but Tommy and Brain make a substantially better rhythm section than Duff and Frank. If I remember correctly, the RIR 2017 show was the first on that particular leg, so Axl's voice had not warmed up yet (the beginning in particular sounds pretty rough). As for guitars, I am all about a good jam, but I find the jam in "Rocket Queen" since Slash rejoined to be one of the most painful parts of the show. For this particular song, I tend to enjoy versions that stick closer to the record. 

Edited by themadcaplaughs
  • Like 2

I would say I prefer 2017, I always loved Slash's talkbox solos back in the Illusion days and I dig that he brought it back here.  Axl's voice is not the best in either, but even though I slightly prefer his vocals from 2001 here, I would overall choose 2017

A Rocket Queen without Slash' sexy guitar and Duff's threatening bass chords is not Rocket Queen.

I don't care for Axl's voice, he stopped singing RQ fine in like 1988 :lol:

It is not GN'R without Slash and Duff.

It is not a classic GN'R tune if it is not played with as many original members as you can get onboard.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

Rio 2017 was worst show on the NITL tour. 

Rio 2001 was probably the most exciting Nu Guns show. 

I think Nu Guns fans deliberately make these threads looking for validation.

2017 is still better. But Frank and fortus ruin that song by adding their own touch

1 hour ago, TheGeneral said:

Rocket Queen is my No. 1 favorite GNR song but I don't like Axl's voice on it nowadays. I prefer the clean voice to the Mickey voice.

Also the recording quality from 2017 was just utter rubbish.

Probably my number one song too.... It was certainly the song I was looking forward to seeing the most out of this semi reunion.. It ended up being one of the biggest disappointments for me.. Aside from Axl's vocals struggles this line-up just misses the total vibe of the song most of the time.. I attribute that to the drumming.. And then there is Fortus.. I truly despise his solos on this song.. There is really no need for him soloing in this song in the first place, never mind the fact that hi solos just don't mesh with the vibe of the song.. It is like oil and water..  To me anyway...

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, Sosso said:

line-up: Axl Rose, Robin Finck, Buckethead, Paul Tobias, Tommy Stinson, Bryan Mantia, Dizzy Reed, Chris Pitman

ljne-up: Axl Rose, Slash, Richard Fortus, Duff McKagan, Frank Ferrer, Dizzy Reed, Melissa Reese

Which live performance do you like better?

Rio 91 not gonna waste time voting on inferior versions with inferior musicians.

Edited by tsinindy
  • Like 3

Rocket Queen benefits from being stripped back to 4/5 minutes, none of this 11 minute treatment that they're doing nowadays. I felt the outro to RIRIII was too bare. Richard Fortus was the meat and potatoes of the song from 2011/14, the wee guitar fills he put in were just sublime. 

I will lean more towards RIRIII out of the two though. Check out this.

40 minutes ago, Dean said:

Rocket Queen benefits from being stripped back to 4/5 minutes, none of this 11 minute treatment that they're doing nowadays. I felt the outro to RIRIII was too bare. Richard Fortus was the meat and potatoes of the song from 2011/14, the wee guitar fills he put in were just sublime. 

I will lean more towards RIRIII out of the two though. Check out this.

No clue about why they put long solos in RQ. Take the version from Hammersmith 1987, great performance but 8 minutes of guitar and drum solos. Who thought that was a good idea? 

Edited by Waemoth

Strangely I'm divided on this. 2001 may have been a circus, an abomination of ''Guns N' Roses'', but at least it was interesting and exciting. It saw a Rose playing five new live songs, one still unreleased today - that is almost Neil Young-esque. 2017 can at least claim to be ''genuine GN'R'' but it is just a phoned-in slab of predictable nostalgia really, in contrast to 2001. But how can Guns be truly Guns without Slash? Impossible!

Rio 1991.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I voted for the live performance from 2001 mainly because of the instrumentalization. I always liked the shorter versions of RQ better than the longer ones. I also like the second guitar solo (played by Buckethead).

Edited by Sosso

2017 by a mile. The only good stuff really from a musical standpoint in 2001 was Bucket and Brain. 

With that being said, the 2001 show is still funner to watch simply due to its historical significance in gnr history. But if we are throwing that all out the window and just looking at these two shows objectively from a musical performance standpoint, 2017 wins.

Edited by rocknroll41