Guns N' Roses - Rocket Queen - Rock in Rio III vs. Rock in Rio VII

Rock in Rio III (2001) vs Rock in Rio VII (2017)  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Waemoth said:

No clue about why they put long solos in RQ. Take the version from Hammersmith 1987, great performance but 8 minutes of guitar and drum solos. Who thought that was a good idea? 

With you 100%

I think Slash doing the whole talkbox shenanigans is more nostalgia of the UYI tour more than anything else. I'm sure Axl said to the crowd, "You've missed that..." after they played Rocket Queen at the Vegas shows.

Each of these shows have their charm in their own way. There's a sense of excitement at the return of Axl in the 2001 show that is palpable - and for many of us it was our first exposure to the new CD songs that was kind of exciting. So I have a softspot for the whole show even though its not my favourite line up overall.

Likewise it's great seeing Axl and Slash reunited in the reunion shows, even though there's a lack of quality proshots and Axl was having off nights in a lot of the 2017 shows compared to 2016.

If i had to vote I'd probably take a UYI line up over both these shows - but they each have their charms.

18 hours ago, killuridols said:

A Rocket Queen without Slash' sexy guitar and Duff's threatening bass chords is not Rocket Queen.

I don't care for Axl's voice, he stopped singing RQ fine in like 1988 :lol:

It is not GN'R without Slash and Duff.

It is not a classic GN'R tune if it is not played with as many original members as you can get onboard.

I'll agree with you on Duff. His bass tone sounds amazing in the 2017 video. I am not saying the RIR III performance was a milestone, but it slightly edges out the 2017 one because Axl actually sounds into it, even if he has to reach a little at certain times. The 2017 loses me between Frank's drumming (I'm usually not a Frank basher, but "Rocket Queen" remains a song where I can hear him struggling), Richard's generic guitar solo, and the talbox solo - something I could not stand in the 1990s. 

Richard's guitar solo is the worst offender. I'm typically a big fan of Fortus, but it just sounds like mindless shredding; sort of like when Bumblefoot used to shred in songs like "14 Years" or "Knockin' on Heaven's Door." 

Edited by themadcaplaughs
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah I never took the time to listen to all the Rio 1991 stuff. Not sure why. Just never got around to it.

didnt you know that Bill Clinton and the US Congress approved a law in 1992 that says "Every GNR fan must listen to all the professionally recorded bootleg recordings of Guns n Roses from 1985 to 1991 before listening to any other music available in the universe including all music produced by Axl Rose on the next three decades (1992 to 2021)"?

then in 1993 NATO lobbied really hard to pass that same law in other countries and apparently all the countries in the universe decided to follow that policy -- except Holland!

you can check the law here

Edited by ludurigan
  • Haha 2

Neither actually.

2006-2010 either are better to my ears... and of course the classic era versions too.

In the 2001 version, they don't sound very together and tight as a band... but Brains drumming is good. On the 2017 version, as a band it's tight, but it just doesn't feel right, and that's a mix of the extended intro and the extended mid section soloing... of all the songs for the band to extend this has to one of the worst choices, by the time all the noodling is over, the crowd is over the song and the whole end section drags instead of it being a lift (like it was on past tours) and Franks drumming feels a bit stiff and staccato rather the loose vibe that the song is supposed to have... speaking as a fan of Frank.

I know it's a contentious opinion, but I think Duff and Slash got him to play the song like that, why!!? He played it far groovier in that 2012 Philadelphia clip... I doubt he just decided to throw out how he was playing the song for the past 10 years out of nowhere by himself.

6 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I know it's a contentious opinion, but I think Duff and Slash got him to play the song like that, why!!? He played it far groovier in that 2012 Philadelphia clip... I doubt he just decided to throw out how he was playing the song for the past 10 years out of nowhere by himself.

Not an opinion. Indeed, you gotta thank Slash for the extended RQ version we have now.

On 5/16/2018 at 10:15 PM, Gackt said:

RIR3 by a mile, RIR7 was mostly a trainwreck.  Never been a fan of the talkbox solo.

RIR3's also has the solo by GNR Legend Paul Tobias. :awesomeface:

Speaking of Tobias, I have heard people say since the show that he fucked up the slide guitar solo in "Rocket Queen." I have never been able to hear it. Can anyone point to a specific time? 

7 minutes ago, themadcaplaughs said:

Speaking of Tobias, I have heard people say since the show that he fucked up the slide guitar solo in "Rocket Queen." I have never been able to hear it. Can anyone point to a specific time? 

I think one of his strings broke 

2:54 in the OP video

Edited by TheSeeker

5 hours ago, baldek said:

Not an opinion. Indeed, you gotta thank Slash for the extended RQ version we have now.

This band plays it awesome though.. While I can see why some people wouldn't want a 30 minute version, I love it and 30 was rare. I think was generally 12 to 18 minutes.. The difference was that this band could actually pull it off and it acted as Slash's solo spot for the shows.. They were the highlight for me every Slash show I went to.

• Like 1