Texas high school shooting leaves at least 8 dead, suspect in custody

Ace Nova

At least eight people have been killed in a Texas high school shooting Friday, FOX 26reported. The suspected shooter was taken into custody and the active shooter situation was said to be over. 

Police officers responded to Santa Fe High School around 8 a.m. CDT after reports that a shooter opened fire inside. The gunman appears to be a student, KTRK reports, citing a law enforcement official. Further details of the incident were not immediately available.

"Details will be released as we receive updated information. Law enforcement will continue to secure the building and initiate all emergency management protocols to release and move students to another location," the school district said in a statement.

Galveston County Sheriff's Maj. Douglas Hudson said units responded to reports of shots fired. Witnesses say a gunman opened fire inside an art class during first period. A student in the class told KTRK she witnessed at least one girl being shot.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/18/texas-high-school-shooting-suspect-in-custody-several-injuries-reported.html

The total for dead now is 10 and 10 injured.

The news is saying the boy was bullied in school. He got his father's guns and wore a trench coat and army boots and went to the school and started shooting.

it seems no matter how many gun laws there are or aren't, if someone wants to get a gun they will somehow get it.

Okay so he wore a shirt that said "born to kill". I hope it's not a song by a band because I'm sick and tired of people blaming bands and music for the shit people do.

The kid is now charged with capital murder. 17 years of age. no bond. Texas does have the death penalty.

My sympathies go out to the family and friends of the victims. I don't know how they will find the strength to get through losing a loved one especially a child.

There might be explosives around the city. What the hell is going on? The police and FBI are talking to other suspects too.

Texas only has a few more weeks until school is out for summer. What a horrible memory for these kids to take with them.

I wish someone had the answers to stop all this shit.

1 hour ago, soon said:

America, the World and half your own people weep for you.  And yes, we do understand "liberty" and "freedom."

I think there's too much freedom in America these days. It's becoming a habit all these school shootings.

No one seems to have an answers and people continue to die.

47 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I think there's too much freedom in America these days. It's becoming a habit all these school shootings.

No one seems to have an answers and people continue to die.

Y'know, I think the many other developed Countries with less guns and less gun violence do have some possible answers.

And I dont think those answers are limited to sensible restrictions and an end to public sales of all assault weapons.  I think that the US puts a lot of pressure on its people with poor social supports, poor education and a dog eat dog outlook.  Less competition and more mental health care is what Id suggest, for what its worth.

But I really feel for you and yours on a day like today. I wish you peace.

Edited by soon

"If only there was some way to stop this" says only country in the world where this is a regular occurrence...

I know I used this satirical line in the last thread on this... but since nothing else has changed, it's presumably just as relevant right now.

• Like 1

Is it bad that I'm not fazed by this? I feel really bad for the victims but when I heard about this shooting I wasn't at all surprised that it happened. It's become such a regular occurence in the States that I'm just numb to it these days 

8 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

The total for dead now is 10 and 10 injured.

The news is saying the boy was bullied in school. He got his father's guns and wore a trench coat and army boots and went to the school and started shooting.

it seems no matter how many gun laws there are or aren't, if someone wants to get a gun they will somehow get it.

Errr, no. That's just bullshit.

• Like 2

Yknow, looking back now at Klebold and Harris and their ‘delusions of grandeur’, that like, after Columbine they’d be like trailblazers, other kids would follow in their path...dont seem AS ridiculous no more.

Edited by Len Cnut

One student said she and a friend fled into the nearby woods when they realized what was happening. 

Dakota Shrader, 16, told CBC's As It Happens she thought, at first, the alarms meant the school was having a fire drill. 

"Next thing you know, we hear 'Boom boom boom.' Three times straight. Clear," she said.

"And then you just hear everybody screaming, 'Run, run, run!'"

She and a friend ran off in a panic. 

"We knew what to do, but we didn't know who to trust. So it was just us."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/santa-fe-texas-high-school-shooting-1.4668686

That last quote really gets to me.  In America today, according to these girls, when you're at school; anyone could be the next school shooter.  They didnt know who to trust even among those fleeing.

9 hours ago, Dazey said:

Errr, no. That's just bullshit.

Err...no, not really....

If not a gun, how about a knife....

Fatal stabbings are taking place every three days in London amid fears of the resurgence of “postcode wars” between rival gangs.

A total of 29  (UPDATE, 50+ year to date) people have been killed using knives so far in 2018, which started with the murder of four young men during New Year’s Eve celebrations.

If the bloodshed continues at the same rate, more than 121 people will be stabbed to death in the capital by the end of the year, a dramatic 50 per cent increase on 2017.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/london-stabbings-knife-crime-deaths-murders-three-days-teenagers-statistics-a8281756.html

Fatal stabbings in London, 2018

January 1 - Steve Frank Navarez-Jara, 20, Islington

January 3 - Elizabeta Lacatusu, 44, Redbridge

January 8 - Daniel Frederick, 34, died in Hackney

January 9 - Dami Odeyingbo, 18, stabbed in Bromley

January 11 - Harry Uzoka, 25, killed in Shepherd's Bush

January 28 - Yaya Mbye, 26, stabbed in Stoke Newington

January 29 - Juan Olmos Saca, 39, stabbed in Peckham

January 31 - Khader Saleh, 25, stabbed at Wormwood Scrubs prison

February 3 - Hassan Ozcan, 19, knifed in Barking

February 3 - Kwabena Nelson, a youth worker, died after being stabbed near his home in Tottenham

February 8 - Hannah Leonard, 55, stabbed in a flat in Camden

February 11 - Sabri Chibani, 19, stabbed in Streatham

February 13 - Saeeda Hussain, 54, was stabbed in Ilford

February 14 - Lord Promise Nkenda, 17, stabbed in Canning Town

February 18 - Lewis Blackman, 19, knifed in Kensington

February 19 - Rotimi Oshibanjo, 26, stabbed in Southall

February 20 - Sadiq Mohammed, 20, stabbed in Camden

February 20 - Abdikarim Hassan, 17, stabbed in Camden

February 25 - Michael Boyle, 44, stabbed in the chest

March 1 - Christopher Beaumont, 42, stabbed in Hammersmith

March 5 - Laura Figueira, 47, stabbed in Twickenham

March 5 - Kelva Smith, 20, knifed in Croydon

March 14 -  Lyndon Davis, 18, stabbed in Chadwell Heath

March 16 - Naomi Hersi, 36, found with stab wounds at hotel near Heathrow Airport

March 17 - Russell Jones, 23, stabbed in Enfield

March 18 - Tyrone Silcot, 41, stabbed in Hackney

March 19 - Balbir Johal, 48, knifed in Southall

March 19 - A 41-year-old was stabbed to death in Waltham Forest

March 20 - Beniamin Pieknyi, 21, stabbed at Stratford shopping centre

March 26 - David Potter, 50, stabbed in Tooting

March 29 - Reece Tshoma, 23, stabbed in Plumstead

March 30 - Leyla Mtumwa, 36, found with stab wounds at a home in Haringey

April 1 - A 20-year-old was stabbed in Wandsworth

April 4 - A 38-year-old man was stabbed at a house in Lewisham

April 4 - Israel Ogunsola, 18, was stabbed to death in Hackney on 4 April. Police were alerted by a motorist and performed first aid but the teenager died at the scene

April 5 - Five teenagers and one man were stabbed in London within a space of 24 hours. One of the victims was aged 13 and left fighting for his life

April 9 - A man in his 70s was stabbed four times and robbed as he returned to his Harold Hill home after collecting his pension

April 12 - A woman in her 20s was arrested after stabbing a man in Isle of Dogs on April 12, 2018.

April 15 - A man named locally as Raul Nicolaie was knifed to death just before 6pmin Colindale, North London.

April 15 -  Samantha Clarke, 38, was stabbed to death in Brixton, South West London, just after 6.30pm and police arrested a man in his 20s.

April 20 - Aaron Springett, 32, died after he was found collapsed in Morden, South West London, just before 1o.30pm. A 31-year-old was arrested on suspicion of murder.

April 21 - A man, 20, was stabbed to death in Finsbury Park, north London, as a leading surgeon warned of a "summer of carnage" in the capital

May 17 - A man, 24, was stabbed to death in Crows Road, Barking at around 11.30pm.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5251268/london-stabbings-2018-knife-crime-statistics-barking-ruislip-hackney-latest/

That's just London, btw.

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Err...no, not really....

If not a gun, how about a knife....

Fatal stabbings are taking place every three days in London amid fears of the resurgence of “postcode wars” between rival gangs.

A total of 29  (UPDATE, 50+ year to date) people have been killed using knives so far in 2018, which started with the murder of four young men during New Year’s Eve celebrations.

If the bloodshed continues at the same rate, more than 121 people will be stabbed to death in the capital by the end of the year, a dramatic 50 per cent increase on 2017.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/london-stabbings-knife-crime-deaths-murders-three-days-teenagers-statistics-a8281756.html

Fatal stabbings in London, 2018

January 1 - Steve Frank Navarez-Jara, 20, Islington

January 3 - Elizabeta Lacatusu, 44, Redbridge

January 8 - Daniel Frederick, 34, died in Hackney

January 9 - Dami Odeyingbo, 18, stabbed in Bromley

January 11 - Harry Uzoka, 25, killed in Shepherd's Bush

January 28 - Yaya Mbye, 26, stabbed in Stoke Newington

January 29 - Juan Olmos Saca, 39, stabbed in Peckham

January 31 - Khader Saleh, 25, stabbed at Wormwood Scrubs prison

February 3 - Hassan Ozcan, 19, knifed in Barking

February 3 - Kwabena Nelson, a youth worker, died after being stabbed near his home in Tottenham

February 8 - Hannah Leonard, 55, stabbed in a flat in Camden

February 11 - Sabri Chibani, 19, stabbed in Streatham

February 13 - Saeeda Hussain, 54, was stabbed in Ilford

February 14 - Lord Promise Nkenda, 17, stabbed in Canning Town

February 18 - Lewis Blackman, 19, knifed in Kensington

February 19 - Rotimi Oshibanjo, 26, stabbed in Southall

February 20 - Sadiq Mohammed, 20, stabbed in Camden

February 20 - Abdikarim Hassan, 17, stabbed in Camden

February 25 - Michael Boyle, 44, stabbed in the chest

March 1 - Christopher Beaumont, 42, stabbed in Hammersmith

March 5 - Laura Figueira, 47, stabbed in Twickenham

March 5 - Kelva Smith, 20, knifed in Croydon

March 14 -  Lyndon Davis, 18, stabbed in Chadwell Heath

March 16 - Naomi Hersi, 36, found with stab wounds at hotel near Heathrow Airport

March 17 - Russell Jones, 23, stabbed in Enfield

March 18 - Tyrone Silcot, 41, stabbed in Hackney

March 19 - Balbir Johal, 48, knifed in Southall

March 19 - A 41-year-old was stabbed to death in Waltham Forest

March 20 - Beniamin Pieknyi, 21, stabbed at Stratford shopping centre

March 26 - David Potter, 50, stabbed in Tooting

March 29 - Reece Tshoma, 23, stabbed in Plumstead

March 30 - Leyla Mtumwa, 36, found with stab wounds at a home in Haringey

April 1 - A 20-year-old was stabbed in Wandsworth

April 4 - A 38-year-old man was stabbed at a house in Lewisham

April 4 - Israel Ogunsola, 18, was stabbed to death in Hackney on 4 April. Police were alerted by a motorist and performed first aid but the teenager died at the scene

April 5 - Five teenagers and one man were stabbed in London within a space of 24 hours. One of the victims was aged 13 and left fighting for his life

April 9 - A man in his 70s was stabbed four times and robbed as he returned to his Harold Hill home after collecting his pension

April 12 - A woman in her 20s was arrested after stabbing a man in Isle of Dogs on April 12, 2018.

April 15 - A man named locally as Raul Nicolaie was knifed to death just before 6pmin Colindale, North London.

April 15 -  Samantha Clarke, 38, was stabbed to death in Brixton, South West London, just after 6.30pm and police arrested a man in his 20s.

April 20 - Aaron Springett, 32, died after he was found collapsed in Morden, South West London, just before 1o.30pm. A 31-year-old was arrested on suspicion of murder.

April 21 - A man, 20, was stabbed to death in Finsbury Park, north London, as a leading surgeon warned of a "summer of carnage" in the capital

May 17 - A man, 24, was stabbed to death in Crows Road, Barking at around 11.30pm.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5251268/london-stabbings-2018-knife-crime-statistics-barking-ruislip-hackney-latest/

That's just London, btw.

So imagine what we'd be like if we had shooters on the manor :lol:

Just now, Len Cnut said:

So imagine what we'd be like if we had shooters on the manor :lol:

lol....I guess that's true too ....the fact remains that people that want to commit these violent acts, typically will find a way to do it.....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

lol....I guess that's true too ....the fact remains that people that want to commit these violent acts, typically will find a way to do it.....

I think their argument is to do with the efficency of guns in that regard.  I'm pro guns btw but I'm also not unaware of the fact that a man with a 8 or 2 or 16 shot clip looking to do some damage can get a helluva lot more done than a man with a blade.  And when you get into the AR-15 or uzi or whatever category well, lets face it, those things are designed to kill a fuckload of people.  And I'm even pro those, i think its a freedom thing but...y'know, it is what it is, those things are slaying machines, low range, maximum output shot-sprayers, there ain't no hunting you do with those things, they ain't for shooting deer or elk, those things were designed for gettin' busy, simple as that.  Saying that 'OK, if a person is intent on killing he can learn to make a bomb', the other sides argument is thats an ever present danger, in the same way someone nicking a lorry and driving it into a creche is an ever present danger, but lorrys have a function outside of that shit, the various household ingridients that make a homemade bomb have a use outside of that shit...now what use does a machine gun have?  Its quick, its easy, its efficient, it lends itself perfectly to rash behaviour and knee-jerk reaction, their lethal as fuck and the price is your people. 

My personal opinion though, its none of my business, I've always been kind of a firearm enthusiast and like, also I recognise its something to do with your constitution and all that which is pretty dear to you guys so, from over here, I don't think I have the right to an opinion, i don't think enough a part of the situation, its  an American problem for American people to fix.  Myself I kinda see both sides, as much as i like guns, as much as I like the fact that America is a really free society and you're about like, y'know, personal liberty and freedom and all that, lack of legislative interference in the private life of the individual, they other side is people are dying...and kinda frequently now.  Myself I'd probably still fall on the personal freedom/free society side of the argument but you gotta hang your head a bit too I think.  I'm glad its not a question I have to find the solution for, thats for sure. 

7 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I think their argument is to do with the efficency of guns in that regard.  I'm pro guns btw but I'm also not unaware of the fact that a man with a 8 or 2 or 16 shot clip looking to do some damage can get a helluva lot more done than a man with a blade.  And when you get into the AR-15 or uzi or whatever category well, lets face it, those things are designed to kill a fuckload of people.  And I'm even pro those, i think its a freedom thing but...y'know, it is what it is, those things are slaying machines, low range, maximum output shot-sprayers, there ain't no hunting you do with those things, they ain't for shooting deer or elk, those things were designed for gettin' busy, simple as that.  Saying that 'OK, if a person is intent on killing he can learn to make a bomb', the other sides argument is thats an ever present danger, in the same way someone nicking a lorry and driving it into a creche is an ever present danger, but lorrys have a function outside of that shit, the various household ingridients that make a homemade bomb have a use outside of that shit...now what use does a machine gun have?  Its quick, its easy, its efficient, it lends itself perfectly to rash behaviour and knee-jerk reaction, their lethal as fuck and the price is your people. 

My personal opinion though, its none of my business, I've always been kind of a firearm enthusiast and like, also I recognise its something to do with your constitution and all that which is pretty dear to you guys so, from over here, I don't think I have the right to an opinion, i don't think enough a part of the situation, its  an American problem for American people to fix.  Myself I kinda see both sides, as much as i like guns, as much as I like the fact that America is a really free society and you're about like, y'know, personal liberty and freedom and all that, lack of legislative interference in the private life of the individual, they other side is people are dying...and kinda frequently now.  Myself I'd probably still fall on the personal freedom/free society side of the argument but you gotta hang your head a bit too I think.  I'm glad its not a question I have to find the solution for, thats for sure. 

I don't really disagree  with most of that. 

My question is that is it really just the guns?  Because obviously there's more to it if a single city in the UK could have more people killed by knives this year than ALL of the combined school shootings in the United States.  

2 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

I don't really disagree  with most of that. 

My question is that is it really just the guns?  Because obviously there's more to it if a single city in the UK could have more people killed by knives this year than ALL of the combined school shootings in the United States.  

Whilst Stephen Paddock in Vegas killed more than all of Londons knife crime...on his own...in one sitting, in a matter of minutes, see what I’m saying?

Edited by Len Cnut

32 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Whilst Stephen Paddock in Vegas killed more than all of Londons knife crime...on his own...in one sitting, in a matter of minutes, see what I’m saying?

We were talking about school shootings by guns vs homicides by knife.

But if we want to change comparisons, we can do it almost infinitely. 

There could be more people killed by knives this year in London than by guns this year in NYC.  Closer comparison, since both cities have relatively the same population.  

And the point still stands....simply for the fact that if homicide by knife can even be compared to homicide by gun, on any level, it proves that there's much more to it than just banning guns.  

Edited by Kasanova King

We were talking about school shootings by guns vs homicides by knife.

But if we want to change comparisons, we can do it almost infinitely. 

Now you're just being silly, the call for gun control is to save lives, all lives, not just ones in school shootings, church massacres, people at gigs, human beings in general.  Just because a school shooting happened to be what led to our talk about gun control that means 'well, fuck everybody else that gets killed by guns, thats not pertinent', come on now.

There could be more people killed by knives this year in London than by guns this year in NYC.  Closer comparison, since both cities have relatively the same population.  

Right, based on a recent spate in knife crime in recent months...now compare the rest of their history in say the last, hmm, 50 years

And the point still stands....simply for the fact that homicide by knife can even be compared to homicide by gun, on any level, proves that there's much more to it than just banning guns.  

Like i said, imagine if those same gangs in London had guns...which they don't...because there are restrictions.  But you're right, there is more to it than JUST banning guns.  But the difference is this, London, a city where guns are banned has only just, in the last 6 months, given you a comparable talking point.  Now cast your eye back of New Yorks gun related homocide rate over there years.  Its like there being a massive open wound bleeding to shit and someone goes 'quick, put something on that to stop the bleeding!' and you going 'no no, wait, there's more to that than JUST putting something on it, don't put nothing on it, it needs stitches' and letting the person loose a gallon of blood whilst someone goes finds a needle and some surgical spirit.

But all in all, to be honest, guys on your side of the argument on this tend to talk a lot of shit.  Sorry fella but thats what it is :lol:  And its so openly a lot of shit too, its like listening to a kids explanation on who broke the vase.  And at the heart of it I guess is like...i dunno, an attachment to your guns.  Which, y'know, whatever, fair enough, your country, your people.  Good luck to yous all.

Edited by Len Cnut

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

Now you're just being silly, the call for gun control is to save lives, all lives, not just ones in school shootings, church massacres, people at gigs, human beings in general.  Just because a school shooting happened to be what led to our talk about gun control that means 'well, fuck everybody else that gets killed by guns, thats not pertinent', come on now.

Right, based on a recent spate in knife crime in recent months...now compare the rest of their history in say the last, hmm, 50 years

Like i said, imagine if those same gangs in London had guns...which they don't...because there are restrictions.  But you're right, there is more to it than JUST banning guns.  But the difference is this, London, a city where guns are banned has only just, in the last 6 months, given you a comparable talking point.  Now cast your eye back of New Yorks gun related homocide rate over there years.

But all in all, to be honest, guys on your side of the argument on this tend to talk a lot of shit.  Sorry fella but thats what it is :lol:  And its so openly a lot of shit too, its like listening to a kids explanation on who broke the vase.  And at the heart of it I guess is like...i dunno, an attachment to your guns.  Which, y'know, whatever, fair enough, your country, your people.  Good luck to yous all.

That's where you're mistaken.  If you look at (pretty much) all of my posts on the issue, I'm stated over and over again that I'm not against better gun regulations.  So no, I'm not "on this side" or "that side" of the issue.  I'm pointing out facts, which are clear as day, that banning guns isn't the only solution, because if it was, we wouldn't have situations like what is happening in London this year.  

Just now, Kasanova King said:

That's where you're mistaken.  If you look at (pretty much) all of my posts on the issue, I'm stated over and over again that I'm not against better gun regulations.  So no, I'm not "on this side" or "that side" of the issue.  I'm pointing out facts, which are clear as day, that banning guns isn't the only solution, because if it was, we wouldn't have situations like what is happening in London this year.  

Whoose said that banning guns in the ONLY solution?  

Comparing gang violence to spree killings is itself dubious but add to that the fact that NY has the strictest gun regulations in the USA.  Its just not a sensible comparison.  It primarily just highlights the fact that stricter firearm regulations do indeed save lives.