The Royal Wedding

Ace Nova

11 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I was at the cricket.

That's shocking!!!  Who would've thought? :lol:

10 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

It was nice for people into hats

In that case there is no doubt Axl watched the whole thing. Nobody is more into horrible hats than him

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

The only thing I have seen is that Posh & Becks were there. Posh had her usual smacked arse face. 

As an expert on the Spice Girls, I can report that Mrs Beckham prefers not to smile for because she hates her dimples. 

Posh Spice had a face like a smacked arse for the duration of the Spice Girls. 

I have some Scottish blue blood somewhere down the line. Bastard offspring from some Laird who ''died under The Pretender'' or something or other. There is a portrait of some crusty bugger and we all look the same. 

I was surprised to not receive an invite? Must have been lost in the post?

• Like 2

I finally got curious enough and watched the sermon. Im a bit surprised that across the pond his sermon was seen as being really energetic. :shrugs: Thats how even white people preach over here.  People are reacting like this is what they observed, lol:

I Thought the sermon was really solid until the reflection on fire. He brought the revolutionary truth of Christs love right into the belly of the beast and made plain how applicable this love is; in ending poverty, in healing from racism, in undoing class divides, in revolutionizing the order of society and the human condition the way that the industrial revolution did. How could one not be excited when they know this power and potential?  I Thought he was Holy and bad-ass!  But, yeah too long.  Seems like he lost the thread from Solomons fire on.

Edited by soon

1 hour ago, soon said:

I finally got curious enough and watched the sermon. Im a bit surprised that across the pond his sermon was seen as being really energetic. :shrugs: Thats how even white people preach over here.  People are reacting like this is what they observed, lol:

I Thought the sermon was really solid until the reflection on fire. He brought the revolutionary truth of Christs love right into the belly of the beast and made plain how applicable this love is; in ending poverty, in healing from racism, in undoing class divides, in revolutionizing the order of society and the human condition the way that the industrial revolution did. How could one not be excited when they know this power and potential?  I Thought he was Holy and bad-ass!  But, yeah too long.  Seems like he lost the thread from Solomons fire on.

I'm an atheist but I'd happily go to that church for the music and dancing. :lol: Too cool.  

On the subject of press reaction, yes, you are right, THAT is what they thought they were seeing. LOL  

Well, here's your comparison: 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I'm an atheist but I'd happily go to that church for the music and dancing. :lol: Too cool.  

On the subject of press reaction, yes, you are right, THAT is what they thought they were seeing. LOL  

Well, here's your comparison: 

I also love a good, dry, intellectual sermon but this guy... wow.  I'm sure the dude is filled with the Holy Spirit, but the Spirits maybe recovering from a cold or something, lol.

I guess the wedding guy would be very jarring in the face of this.  Both of them are 'Anglican' its interesting to note.

If you ever come around my neck of the woods, bring your dancing shoes and we'll check out a Baptist service.  Its a hoot! :lol:

Edited by soon

22 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Church of England (Anglican) is comically - well - ''English''.

I guess Im learning today more of what it means t be "English." My local Anglican parish spends nights over Easter Weekend marching through the streets shouting and dancing, lead by a torch which is used to start a bonfire in the middle of the down town stretch.  They also do all the solemn stuff from the order of service every Sunday morning. On Sunday afternoon they casually eat potluck served on the Alter.  Really is a beautifully diverse denomination. 

5 hours ago, soon said:

Same; I couldn't agree more. I was half expecting to see something like this with how people were talking about it. Then I watched it and didn't know what the fuss was all about. I'm a Roman Catholic and an American and I would say that probably one out of four white Roman Catholic priests deliver homilies in much the same style as the bishop at the wedding. It's normal. I guess I didn't realize how much the American cultural influence has shaped preaching even in the American Roman Catholic Church. 

Spoiler

No wonder the Church in Europe is dying. It must be really boring!

I really liked his nod to Teilhard de Chardin! Really good to hear some Jesuit spirituality in the Anglican cathedral! 

• GNFNR 1

You could offer a more complicated, historical-ideological, reason for it I suppose, citing American evangelicalism (The Great Awakening) in the 19th century, etc., but it is almost as simple as Americans being louder people than British. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Same; I couldn't agree more. I was half expecting to see something like this with how people were talking about it. Then I watched it and didn't know what the fuss was all about. I'm a Roman Catholic and an American and I would say that probably one out of four white Roman Catholic priests deliver homilies in much the same style as the bishop at the wedding. It's normal. I guess I didn't realize how much the American cultural influence has shaped preaching even in the American Roman Catholic Church. 

Hide contents

No wonder the Church in Europe is dying. It must be really boring!

I really liked his nod to Teilhard de Chardin! Really good to hear some Jesuit spirituality in the Anglican cathedral! 

Glad to get first hand confirmation from a High Church member! Im an Anabaptist (like Mennonite) and also see both calmer and more lively sermon styles. Yeah, its normal here. And I love to visit the hyped up churches for some dancing too. 

Spoiler

:lol::lol: and :cry::cry:.  Hopefully this wedding can be a shot in the arm for them all!

I dont know the work of Teilhard de Chardin.  Now that you've highlighted it, I'll definitely have to check it out!

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

but it is almost as simple as Americans being louder people than British. 

One thing I’ll credit Americans for is that they’re not scared of having fun. 

The British think they like to enjoy themselves, but our comedy is far darker, we find skinny dipping terribly risqué and life’s greatest reasons to celebrate are done with so pomp and ceremony in as much silence as possible. Which is why we’re not allowed a Disneyland.

I kind of hate weddings altogether, so all I could think is the same thing I think at every wedding-  hope you had fun, now you have to make your marriage work just like any other couple.  Didn't Harry say something like now Meghan would have the family she never had? The royal family? Enjoy the warmth of that bosom! Also, get off my lawn.

54 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

One thing I’ll credit Americans for is that they’re not scared of having fun. 

The British think they like to enjoy themselves, but our comedy is far darker, we find skinny dipping terribly risqué and life’s greatest reasons to celebrate are done with so pomp and ceremony in as much silence as possible. Which is why we’re not allowed a Disneyland.

No Sex Please, We're British

3 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

One thing I’ll credit Americans for is that they’re not scared of having fun

Yes, but they need to be 10 times drunker than British in order to have fun. I've been in America. I've seen it.

4 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

Yesterday’s events have momentarily made me a royalist, proud to be British and I want to get married again because I know I’d be darling at it. :lol:

I'd rather watch your weeding on t.v. than Harry and Meghan's. I did watch Will and Kate weeding.  He is the future king and there was royalty from elsewhere. This time around, way too many celebrities

4 minutes ago, Padme said:

Yes, but they need to be 10 times drunker than British in order to have fun. I've been in America. I've seen it.

I'd rather watch your weeding on t.v. than Harry and Meghan's. I did watch Will and Kate weeding.  He is the future king and there was royalty from elsewhere. This time around, way too many celebrities

I actually preferred this one to Will & Kate’s. Was less showy. I don’t understand why some celebrities were there, but I’d rather the guestlist be full of folks they like as opposed to cousin dignitaries being there for diplomacy. 

1 minute ago, Gracii Guns said:

I actually preferred this one to Will & Kate’s. Was less showy. I don’t understand why some celebrities were there, but I’d rather the guestlist be full of folks they like as opposed to cousin dignitaries being there for diplomacy. 

But what relationship do they have with George Clooney or David Beckham? As far as I know they get together once in a while for some charity event