The New Workout Thread

Gracii Guns

Couldn’t find the old workout thread. So here I am on my lazy ass making a new one.

———————

It’s time I lost the baby weight. While I think I look nice bigger, I don’t want to be thought of as ‘that big girl’. 

Currently 171 lb, want to reduce to around 147lb. My daily calorie allowance is 1340.

I’m now on MyFitnessPal, please PM me if you’d like my username.

• Like 1

Great! I’m with ya... Working out in a gym. Want to try do some work out home videos from YT if someone’s got some recommendations?

My daily calories are 1190. Lost 7 kg in the last 8 weeks. Want to loose at least 4 more.... :ph34r:

Edited by Tori72
  • GNFNR 1

My brother is a licensed yoga instructor and he's taught me some amazing stretches and they have helped me lose weight. I also work out everyday from a half hour to an hour or more doing walking exercises sometimes with weights or a stretchie band too.

Check out some of Leslie Sasone' s dvds and also Jessica Smith. They are both amazing.

Good luck.

Try to cut down on your sugar intake too. My mom has lost over 10 pounds cutting down on sugar because she's now type 2 diabetes.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

40 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Check out some of Leslie Sasone' s dvds and also Jessica Smith. They are both amazing.

I love Jessica Smith! I also do Rebecca Louise and Fitness Blender workouts on Youtube too. That is how I usually work out....at home with various workouts via TV.

I do a lot of pilates but not yoga....I had a back fusion 3 years ago and can do all kinds of workouts but yoga still causes me pain.

Great job everyone wanting and taking the steps to be healthier. I was a professional marathoner and IM athlete. When it comes to losing weight it's really more about what you consume. Working out of course helps and often makes one more motivated to stick to a healthy eating plan. Diet is really simple, eat clean and alkaline foods. simply cut out processed carbs and replace it with whole grains such as Millet or Quinoa and eat healthy fats such as olive oil and almonds. And NO refined sugars limiting all sugars even those from fresh fruit to 2 servings a day. Drink plenty of water and no soda, coffee or fruit juices. Adding fresh lemon to your water makes it Super water as it makes it alkaline. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kwick1 said:

Great job everyone wanting and taking the steps to be healthier. I was a professional marathoner and IM athlete. When it comes to losing weight it's really more about what you consume. Working out of course helps and often makes one more motivated to stick to a healthy eating plan. Diet is really simple, eat clean and alkaline foods. simply cut out processed carbs and replace it with whole grains such as Millet or Quinoa and eat healthy fats such as olive oil and almonds. And NO refined sugars limiting all sugars even those from fresh fruit to 2 servings a day. Drink plenty of water and no soda, coffee or fruit juices. Adding fresh lemon to your water makes it Super water as it makes it alkaline. 

Nutrition is a big part but a diet without working out is not good for your body, especially not for your muscles. You don’t wanna loose those, you only want to get rid of that fat. My diet is going well so far, I’m not hungry and keep loosing gram after gram. Can’t go with your no-coffee rule though. lol I do a low-carb, high protein diet. It’s hard to get rid of all those carbs I ate before. (Bread and pasta mainly...) Now, I also want to cut down / substitute on my diary products. Somehow I ended up eating more of those now while dieting, also because I’m a vegetarian. Skyr and low fat cottage cheese mainly and and low-fat feta because I find they have a good calorie-protein balance...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

Nutrition is a big part but a diet without working out is not good for your body, especially not for your muscles. You don’t wanna loose those, you only want to get rid of that fat. My diet is going well so far, I’m not hungry and keep loosing gram after gram. Can’t go with your no-coffee rule though. lol I do a low-carb, high protein diet. It’s hard to get rid of all those carbs I ate before. (Bread and pasta mainly...) Now, I also want to cut down / substitute on my diary products. Somehow I ended up eating more of those now while dieting, also because I’m a vegetarian. Skyr and low fat cottage cheese mainly and and low-fat feta because I find they have a good calorie-protein balance...

Great job on your weight loss and healthy eating and exercise!  Completely agree, working out is extremely important. The human body is meant to move and work. Physical activity should be a way of life and not just something one does to help with losing weight. I get so many questions from people, "I'm working out at the gym every day.....but haven't lost a pound......I give up. My first question is always, what are you eating? Either they're starving themselves or most often still eating bread and pasta. Giving up those things is HARD. I too am a vegetarian. I substitute milk for almond milk unsweetened and have never eaten cheese but do eat eggs. Low fat cottage cheese is a great option 😊We have our own chickens so eat a lot of eggs. Getting protein is much more difficult being vegetarian. I'll add protein powder to my almond milk. 

Edited by Kwick1

2 minutes ago, Kwick1 said:

Completely agree, working out is extremely important. The human body is meant to move and work. Physical activity should be a way of life and not just something one does to help with losing weight. I get so many questions from people, "I'm working out at the gym every day.....but haven't lost a pound......I give up. My first question is always, what are you eating? Either they're starving themselves or most often still eating bread and pasta. Giving up those things is HARD. I too am a vegetarian. I substitute milk for almond milk unsweetened and have never eaten cheese but do eat eggs. Low fat cottage cheese is a great option 😊We have our own chickens so eat a lot of eggs. Getting protein is much more difficult being vegetarian. I'll add protein powder to my almond milk. 

I just bought soy milk but will check with almond milk. Only need it for my coffee (150ml for 3 cups a day. Don’t say anything, that’s a given. lol). I’m hesitant on protein powder because it is no „natural food“, right? What kind of protein things do you eat as a vegetarian? Right now I’m eating various veggies, tomatos to make a  sauce and lentils, sometimes quinoa. Gets boring now after 8 weeks or so...

• Like 1

@Tori72, I get protein powder from Xyngular. For other protein sources besides eggs, lentils and low fat cottage cheese, chickpeas are a good source. I also use at least a serving of Spirolina daily. I'll add it to spinach/blueberry/cranberry shake. I know it sounds disgusting but has just the perfect amount of sweetness. For quick meals, Ezekiel bread which is a sprouted grain is another option. 

When I eat eggs, I use 2 to 1 ratio. 2 egg whites to every whole egg. I have to watch cholesterol but if you dont, the yoke is high alkaline so don't be afraid of the whole egg. 

• Thanks 1

On coffee.  Im not sure its all the bad, but maybe for some people it doesnt work and should be avoided?  It hydrates just like any drink as far as I understand.

Cold brewing coffee reduces the caffeine count and lowers the acidity. Its delicious.

I load up my hot coffee with nutrients to try and make it serve my heath routine.  I use a french press to brew low acid coffee, annanda chaga mushrooms, collagen peptides and cinnamon.  And sometimes also vegan protein powder (its just ground up peas and brown rice), sometimes ashwaghanda, sometimes maca, sometimes cocao powder, sometimes fulvic acid. Sometimes stinging nettle or dandelion root. I alway add coconut oil and milk to drink.  Good fats being essential for absorbing some vitamins and minerals while also providing energy. Directly following my morning coffee I have my liquid multivitamin and mineral supplement in mineral water and coconut water with some powdered potassium mixed in and sometimes coral calcium.  I eat either during the drinks or directly following.

And if I really need a long lasting boost of energy eleuthero is a root that has been used as a performance enhancing drug in international sports! I only do this 1-2 a year though, its really strong. 

Sorry, I just don’t believe the demonization of coffee. If you have blood pressure problems or if you drink more than 3-4 cups, then yeah, think a little of what you’re doing. 

Same goes with alkaline nutrition or not. Most of those suggestions are within a healthy eating diet anyway but there is not proof that the boody would not be capable of handling ... (what’s the opposite of alkaline in english?) non-alkaline food/drinks. Unless you drink enough water (and eat healthy all in all) I don’t think there’s a problem with coffee.

:shrugs:

It's important to realize that we're from different countries which I think is so cool! In the US the average American diet is made up of empty calories. We're big on fast food, eating out and highly processed carbs. I do believe that America is becoming more health conscious though. Caffeine actually speeds dehydration. Do I think a cup or 2 of coffee is bad? No, not really. As for the protein powder, I buy a high quality one and without using, I can't consume enough protein to fuel my workouts. The bottom line is simple, one has to fuel their life with complete Whole Foods for optimum life. If eating complete Whole Foods and an active life, weight takes care of itself. But in the US most don't live that lifestyle. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

Does anyone else who is limiting their calories get grumpy? Generally I’m a chill person, but I did a 6.2k walk last night and then went to bed because I wasn’t a nice person to be around afterwards. :lol:

Oh yes. I always get grumpy when I’m hungry. Protein actually helps staying full and satisfied longer. And I take care to have large portions of veggies, salad etc. so my stomach is not empty so much...

@Kwick1 That is so true! Cultural difference do a lot for eating/cooking habits as well as general health suggestions. Still, even though you eat mostly whole foods, you can still get out of shape. At least this was/is true for me. In the end, carbs, fat and sugar do what they do, no matter if whole grain, olive oil, etc. or not. :D 

I’m getting there, though. Not overweight anymore. Right now I'm aiming at what I think would be a nicer weight for me and working out to shape my body more. So there’s light at the end of the tunnel. It’s hard enough, not gonna lie. ;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Hovering around 175 rn at 6”1 trying to gain 10-15 pounds of muscle in the next year or so. Eating at a high surplus is difficult for me since it’s in the reigns of 3500+ of healthy food.

Sorry, I needed to google this. So you weigh 6 stones 1lb with 1,75 meters and you need to eat 3500 calories? Is that correct? If so, that must be such a huge thing to achieve. Wow. I hope you get help doing that. :hug:

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

Sorry, I needed to google this. So you weigh 6 stones 1lb with 1,75 meters and you need to eat 3500 calories? Is that correct? If so, that must be such a huge thing to achieve. Wow. I hope you get help doing that. :hug:

I could easily that much in Doritos and pizza but the trick is to eat that much with healthy food. Tons of chicken and rice, I eat up to 10 oz of it a day.

• GNFNR 1

I'm currently trying to get back into an exercise routine after a wee while being out of it. In general, when I'm in Scotland I run 5k three or four times a week (at least one of those runs will be closer to 10k) but in Mexico, especially during the last month I was there, it was A: too damn hot and B: I didn't have time, so I got a bit out of the habit. The first couple of times I ran since getting back, the 5k took me 29 minutes, but I'm down to 27 as of tonight.

My main issue with my body is that I have a bit of stomach flab that I can't seem to shift, like, I've never thought my torso has been attractive to look at, but I don't really know if or how to get rid of it. 6 years ago, I weighed 223 lbs and was very unfit, at which point I started to change my diet and add exercise (just walking initially), I lost 49 lbs over two years, to the point where looking back on it, I was probably unhealthily skinny (but still thought that I was fat because I still had this grabbable muffin top). Since then, I started doing more strenuous forms of regular exercise, running, exercise bikes, swimming, some weights as well. I've subsequently put on 45 lbs, taking me back to close to the weight I started at ,but my body composition is different from before, my arms and legs are much more muscular, my clothes are tight across the chest and shoulders, not at the waist, I don't have any of the fat around my face that I had before... BUUUUT I still have a flabby, unattractive belly (although lately it seems to me like there's a bit less to grab than before and I can see a bit of a silhouette of the muscles below). 

I don't even know if it's fat or loose skin left over from before I started taking care of myself more, I'm not very academic about weight loss, I tend to just do things instinctively.

Edited by Graeme
  • Like 1

Does anyone else have those off days at the gym? Like you get in there and you're just not feeling it? I had one last night and managed to get a decent workout, but I find that it happens at least once a week.

Edited by Gibson_Guy87