Are you a nostalgic person?

RONIN

I was reading a few articles recently about how humans are essentially hardwired for nostalgia. The teens in particular are very important for us developmentally and what we loved during those years we never really let go of completely.

"Between the ages of 12 and 22, our brains undergo rapid neurological development—and the music we love during that decade seems to get wired into our lobes for good."

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2014/08/musical_nostalgia_the_psychology_and_neuroscience_for_song_preference_and.html

How much of your life is spent on nostalgia and revisiting the past? Or does Yesterday have nothing for you?

Edited by RONIN

As far as music and such, yes I am nostalgic. Its a handy trait to have as a GNR fan! 

Actually, its my understanding that when GNR came out a lot of musicians considered GNR to be cashing in on nostalgia. There was Talking Heads and all manner of 'rock music futurism' on the charts and people felt like GNR came along and set the intellectual progress of rock back by a decade with both retro sounds and lyrical content.

Ive said in greater detail in other posts about my view that the music industry, having utterly failed to adapt to the online/digital age is currently using nostalgia as a tool to maintain a holding pattern until it can reorganize itself.  It doesnt know how to develop artists to the extent it used to - and maybe labels just arent needed for that - so they are repackaging absolutely everything to keep the money coming in.  As a person who holds the potential of culture in high regard, I would say this stagnation is weaponized nostalgia.

Im nostalgic about many things like Christmas' passed, the endless summers of youth or the taste of a shorties cherry flavoured lip gloss. But that said "Make America Great Again" is also a celebration of nostalgia. Or as a settler I might be offered to buy a piece of Indigenous kitch which - case by case - may be based on a very twisted sense of nostalgia. 

IMO sometimes nostalgia is the height of cathartic beauty which affirms the awesomeness of life, which I would imagine is a biological thing. And sometimes its a bold faced lie with sinister and manipulative goals.

PS: hope I wont be misunderstood by @NostalgiaGoddess!  I love Cobra Kai so far, if that helps to clarify! lol

Edited by soon
wax off
  • Like 1

I’m not sentimental over many things, I don’t buy or keep souvenirs from holidays etc. But I’m a stickler for dates. I’m good at remembering birthdays. Or if something momentous happens on a day, I’ll also remember the other things done on that day too. 

Hmm.
Yes and no. I'm more nostalgic for times I didn't experience, before I was born. My teen years were wasted. I do miss my friends from that time but not much else. Childhood? Meh. It's nearly 30 years ago. I used to be hugely nostalgic for the 90s, when I was a kid but now, honestly, if I could go back to any time in history, it'd probably be the early 1960s (like, the American Graffiti era) or the mid 1980s.

Edited by Fashionista

I guess so. But that's because I miss the innocence I've known, and unless you've had a fucked up childhood, I suppose that applies to most people.

Musically speaking I'm still somewhat stuck in the 90s and before... I haven't discovered too many bands post 2000 that I really like. I was still a teenager in 2000 but with all the nu-metal and crossover crap that was going on at the time, I stopped caring and kept on listening to bands and artists from before 2000 and that hasn't changed a lot except for a few newer bands.

Edited by EvanG

The things I liked as a kid and in my early teens bring back memories, but it doesn't mean I still like all of that.

I'm more attached to the things I liked in my late teens-early twenties. My taste was mainly shaped in that period and I often go back to that stuff (GnR included). But it wasn't all contemporary stuff, it was also some more or less older stuff I had discovered then, and there were things that are considered to be representative of the pop culture and the "spirit" of the era which I never connected with; so I don't know if it's pure nostalgia, like an emotional attachment, for "those times".

Since then I've discovered a lot of stuff I've got excited with and I've become more open to different things etc. As far as music goes, though, it's been mostly stuff before "my time"; I rarely got interested in something brand new in the last many years. But again I don't know if it's because of nostalgia (as the article states) or because what came later in music -especially in the recent years- hasn't really been that good.

Edited by Blackstar

Not really.  I dont think you can be nostalgic for something you never actually lived through.  Because then its just really an idea, one that ain’t fuckin’ real at that.  And there was nothing in the time i was a kid to be nostalgic about, I remember it clearly it was fuckin shit...and its hitting the 20 years ago mark now and people are starting to talk about it on the telly and in documentaries with wide eyes and rose tints and it makes you realise that, really, its always this way, its probably this way about all the great and wonderful times the oldies hark back too.

All this zeitgeistey bollocks, its all the preserve of a certain class of person, for your working folks times are pretty much the same.  I’m sure the 60s was great and wonderful if you were Paul McCartney and Peter Fonda but if you’re living in a 2 bed house in fuckin’ Norwich or something I wager it was just as shit as today or yesterday or last week.

At the centre of nostalgia is just a yearning to be young again, that’s all it is, cuz your lifes so shit now that you blag yourself with selective memory into thinking that it was all so great and wonderful back then when it probably wasn’t.

Everything has its time and place and its value is therein, I wouldn’t wannabe a teenager again and I wouldnt wannabe in my 80s now, i wanna live my life the only way any of us ever can, that is as and when it happen, the rest is a load of flannel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kasanova King said:

Hey back when I joined in 2004 they weren't a nostalgia act yet....so like, that's just your opinion, man. :P

Greatest Hits was released in 2004. The moment a band has a compilation album, they're nostalgia. So like, that's my hard evidence, man. :P 

• Haha 1

Just now, Len Cnut said:

Not really.  I dont think you can be nostalgic for something you never actually lived through.  Because then its just really an idea, one that ain’t fuckin’ real at that.  And there was nothing in the time i was a kid to be nostalgic about, I remember it clearly it was fuckin shit...and its hitting the 20 years ago mark now and people are starting to talk about it on the telly and in documentaries with wide eyes and rose tints and it makes you realise that, really, its always this way, its probably this way about all the great and wonderful times the oldies hark back too.

All this zeitgeistey bollocks, its all the preserve of a certain class of person, for your working folks times are pretty much the same.  I’m sure the 60s was great and wonderful if you were Paul McCartney and Peter Fonda but if you’re living in a 2 bed house in fuckin’ Norwich or something I wager it was just as shit as today or yesterday or last week.

At the centre of nostalgia is just a yearning to be young again, that’s all it is, cuz your lifes so shit now that you blag yourself with selective memory into thinking that it was all so great and wonderful back then when it probably wasn’t.

Everything has its time and place and its value is therein, I wouldn’t wannabe a teenager again and I wouldnt wannabe in my 80s now, i wanna live my life the only way any of us ever can, that is as and when it happen, the rest is a load of flannel.

Why single out McCartney there? Paul McCartney had a quintessential working class upbringing, far more so than Lennon or Jagger. I mean,

20_forthlin_road.jpg

5 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

I'm very nostalgic about GNR. Axl was sexy, a great singer and now...he's not :shrugs:

Slash is still sexy ;):slash:

@DieselDaisy that looks like the house i grew up in :lol:

The fact it has a garden around it, or any sort of exterior space enclosing it such as a yard, designates it as upper working class (the British are obsessed with such minutiae). Paul's mother was a nurse so this fits. 

George's was lower,

Related image