Are you a nostalgic person?

RONIN

2 minutes ago, Lio said:

No, haven't seen that. Or it hasn't annoyed me. I think it was in show threads, but like I said, that's very rare. I think it was during last year's tour.

It annoys me because I want to understand :P

Aww, just copy+paste them into Google Translator. Believe it or not, that machine has become smarter lately :lol:

3 minutes ago, dgnr said:

HEEEEEEY! I translate it right after haha It's just to make sure that if Naninho one day goes and reads our thread he fully understands what I mean :P Maybe I should start swearing in portuguese too :shrugs:

Haha, I know you do :hug:

Why would Fermanager not understand your Portuguese? lol 

2 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Where are you from? What's your native language?

Diesel and Len present a level of difficulty above other posters but they are not impossible to understand if you have passed TOEFL with good grades.

Dutch. Which is very similar to English actually.

Like I said, I was exaggerating, it's not like I can't follow the guy. But he's the only one who often uses words where I go... ''what the???''

Just now, EvanG said:

Dutch. Which is very similar to English actually.

Like I said, I was exaggerating, it's not like I can't follow the guy. But he's the only one who often uses words where I go... ''what the???''

Oh. 

I know what you mean. When I don't understand some of his words or expressions, I look them up.

It rarely happens, though. I tend to grasp the idea of the whole sentence or paragraph, without having to understand each single word.

17 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

What's TOEFL? Twat or Eloquent Fuckwit Lingo? :lol:

Test of English as a Foreign Language.

It is required by universities and other educational places for non-native English speaking students who want to attend College abroad.

https://www.ets.org/toefl

Edited by killuridols

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I tend to also give Len a pass, knowing how hard it must be for him to make himself understood in real life, with the lisping creole and all, I couldn't bring myself to criticize him for how he writes. 

Bowled Len a googly olde boy?

(Made mental note to talk more cricket when talking with Soul.)

51 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Why is Len being conflated with me? Len speaks London patois, which is like a combination of cockney and American with some Jamaica thrown in. 

''Yo bruv. Some homes nicked my ghetto blaster in Shepard's Bush''.

U FUCKIN WOT MATE!?!  YER AVIN A LARF INTCHA YOU FUCKIN SCHLAG!  YOU FUCKIN' NORVUN MONKEYS DUNNO WHAT ITS ABOUT MATE, FUCKIN' MUGS, SEE YOU YOU FUCKIN' MELT, I'LL FUCKIN' OPEN YOU UP YOU MUGGY LITTLE CUNT

and so forth! :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Diesel, forgive me, but I've always pictured you as a turn of the 19th century aristocrat with a posh accent. :lol:

Monocle-man_545.gif

What do you really sound like? Posh, cockney, scouse ? Do you sound like Brad Pitt in Snatch :lol:

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Diesel, forgive me, but I've always pictured you as a turn of the 19th century aristocrat with a posh accent. :lol:

Monocle-man_545.gif

What do you really sound like? Posh, cockney, scouse ? Do you sound like Brad Pitt in Snatch :lol:

That's how I picture him too :rofl-lol:

Must say his avatar doesn't help much either :P

• Like 2

I don't think that the percentage of British posters who show their "Britishness" (intentionally or unintentionally) in the language they use or the country specific topics they discuss is actually bigger than the percentage of American posters who show their "American-ness" in a similar manner.

It's just that the American mass culture is dominant in the world and that makes "American-ness" less noticeable and more "acceptable" to international users. For example, when it comes to country specific culture and traditions, it's more likely that someone from another country has seen wrestling or baseball in a movie than cricket; and that they've heard more of the accent of U.S. southern states than of the, say, Manchester accent.

It's telling that the majority of international posters use American spelling and American slang. I used American spelling too when I first joined the forum because of the auto-correct (which got to my nerves), although when I learned English I learned the British spelling. Also MS Office and all the other software come with American spelling by default for international users, unless you change it manually.

As a general observation, I'd say that international users seem far more familiar with and interested in American, and even British, culture than the other way around. This doesn't apply to all American and British posters and I'm not saying it as an accusation or anything. It's just how it is. And we all are on a forum about an English speaking (and American) rock band, after all.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I don't think that the percentage of British posters who show their "Britishness" (intentionally or unintentionally) in the language they use or the country specific topics they discuss is actually bigger than the percentage of American posters who show their "American-ness" in a similar manner.

It's just that the American mass culture is dominant in the world and that makes "American-ness" less noticeable and more "acceptable" to international users. For example, when it comes to country specific culture and traditions, it's more likely that someone from another country has seen wrestling or baseball in a movie than cricket; and that they've heard more of the accent of U.S. southern states than of the, say, Manchester accent.

It's telling that the majority of international posters use American spelling and American slang. I used American spelling too when I first joined the forum because of the auto-correct (which got to my nerves), although when I learned English I learned the British spelling. Also MS Office and all the other software come with American spelling by default for international users, unless you change it manually.

As a general observation, I'd say that international users seem far more familiar with and interested in American, and even British, culture than the other way around. This doesn't apply to all American and British posters and I'm not saying it as an accusation or anything. It's just how it is. And we all are on a forum about an English speaking (and American) rock band, after all.

01.png

PS

Here is that scene actually,

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

As a general observation, I'd say that international users seem far more familiar with and interested in American, and even British, culture than the other way around. This doesn't apply to all American and British posters and I'm not saying it as an accusation or anything. It's just how it is.

:D

• Haha 1

Just read this thread with great interest.  It's a surprise to me that anyone thinks Diesel Daisy's English is difficult to understand.  He is nearly always grammatically correct and whilst his vocabulary is extensive, it's not obscure, except for the odd word here and there, maybe.  But that's just my point of view.  Maybe it's more a cadence issue?

And Len's English is pure gold. I love it.  Don't change, Len.  ^_^

The whole British pride thing is also news to me.  I never picked up on it, but maybe because I've been 'living among them' for so long I don't notice anymore. :ph34r:  

Anyway, interesting thread.  I love any discussion about words or language.

Edit: should have added nostalgia...forgot what the thread was originally about. LOL  Obviously, I am ridiculously nostalgic hence being on GNR forum. 

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

It's a surprise to me that anyone thinks Diesel Daisy's English is difficult to understand.  He is nearly always grammatically correct and whilst his vocabulary is extensive, it's not obscure, except for the odd word here and there, maybe.

How can it be a surprise when there are so many non-native English speakers in this forum? :shrugs:

You wouldn't give Diesel's posts to people taking English classes at the basic level! :lol:

Like I said, the way he expresses himself is not similar to the average poster. However, I don't think this should be a reason to complain.

1 minute ago, killuridols said:

How can it be a surprise when there are so many non-native English speakers in this forum? :shrugs:

You wouldn't give Diesel's posts to people taking English classes at the basic level! :lol:

Like I said, the way he expresses himself is not similar to the average poster. However, I don't think this should be a reason to complain.

Well, excepting those who are still learning basic English, of course.  But beginners aside, what precisely is the difficulty with his use of English?  Just genuinely want to know, as sadly, I don't speak another language so can't see it from an EAL perspective.  Is it his vocabulary? 

18 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Well, excepting those who are still learning basic English, of course.  But beginners aside, what precisely is the difficulty with his use of English?  Just genuinely want to know, as sadly, I don't speak another language so can't see it from an EAL perspective.  Is it his vocabulary? 

Vocabulary and construction of sentences. Plus, he uses sarcasm and figures of speech that are not easy to grasp if you have not learned tons of English expressions, or read English literature, both fiction and non-fiction.

Obviously, his posts are piece of cake to native English speakers, but to non-natives, they are quite challenging.

Anyway, the problem started with the dutch user who got bothered by the invasion of British posters in every thread. He blamed Diesel for the derailing most of them, also accussed him of being difficult to read because he exacerbates his Britishness and sounds like a sir from the 18th century! :rofl-lol:

Man, I don't know what's the real deal here but I find all of this pretty hilarious :lol:

Edited by killuridols
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

15 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Yeah, i think it's a vocabulary issue. Some non-native english speakers may struggle with some of @DieselDaisy words. If i don't know a word then i ask him or google it. It's not an issue for me (thank fuck for google) :lol:

Edit: What @killuridols said :lol:

Edited by janrichmond
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

https://lucian.uchicago.edu/blogs/greece/2015/10/15/speak-english-using-greek-words/

:lol:

(Imagine how my posts would read - or not read- if I did that :rofl-lol:)

OMG ahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa :rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

You should! you should be DieselDaisy's female version and annoy the hell out of everybody! :lol:

It is not my idiosyncrasy to be ironic or sarcastic, but my diagnosis would be that politicians are rather cryptoplethorists. Although they emphatically stigmatize numismatic plethora, they energize it through their tactics and practices. Our policies should be based more on economic and less on political criteria.

fuckin' loved that! ^^

• Haha 2