So that's it? We never hear Chinese D Era Tracks?

Kaneda

6 hours ago, killuridols said:

Why do people have the fantasy that unheard songs from CD are the best songs in the history of Guns that we have never heard yet?! :question:

what... wh.. how?? whyyyyy?? :facepalm:

The music from that era never lived up to the hype. Smart money says this won't either. After all, that was the A material, this is the unfinished leftovers.

Edited by moreblack

5 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I've lost all respect for Axl Rose, but as others have stated he was becoming a nostalgia act long before the reunion. The Axl Rose of 1985-2010 seems to be a completely different person from the Axl that resurfaced at Rock In Rio on October 2,2011. It's almost like he was switched out with a doppelganger. He seems happier, but all his integrity, creativity and passion seemed to have been drained.

The doppelgänger/phantom/clone theory was seriously something I had in mind years ago haha. Something didn't look quite right with the 2001/2002 Axl. The 2001 video with Axl at the Lakers game is so strange, he is completely out of character. 2006/2010 Axl, on the other hand, looked, acted and sounded like the real classic Axl. At this point we could really believe there were two different Axl.
Rock in Rio 2011 made me realize it was the same person all along (no shit Sherlock). 2011 Axl was part 2001/2 Axl, part 2010 Axl.

Axl seems to have had more issues acting like the image he gave to the public than others. There are a couple of interesting lines about this in one of Mick Wall's books (I know, Mick Wall...) where he states Axl in private was nothing like the Axl in the spotlight. I don't have the exact quote, but he says Axl was very shy and very nice in private, and didn't look as arrogant and mighty as when he performed. 

When you think about it, Axl Rose is almost a comic-book character, a vision, a concept. The Axl Rose from the 80's/90's looks and sounds like something out of this world. I've never met someone like this in the real world. There is no one as badass and as charismatic as this guy in the rock scene.

So it must take a lot out of him to bring that character back to life each time he comes back. That's also why I always expect something special when Axl comes back. Each time I hope he can manage to come as close as possible to the 80's/90's Axl, visually, and musically. It's incredible how he manages to vanish from the surface of the earth everytime he stops performing, then come back like nothing happened (except 2011 RIR, it was a catastrophe, very sad day, but now it's something to laugh about haha, I guess he didn't train enough... I recall when he performs Estranged, he says something like "well, I haven't sung this song for over 18 years... but you guys have practiced it for like 40+ times in the last two weeks... my bad", hahahahaha). You don't see videos/photos of him outside of tours, ever. I wonder how he manages that.

After all, it's an act. But what a great act. Marlon Brando said something very interesting about this in his Dick Cavett interview. How we all act, every day, and how we change our act depending on the situation/person. 

As for the passion/creativity/integrity, he has done a lot more than others. No one can question how passionate he is and has always been. His creativity has led to some of the best voice performances, lyrics, and musics in Rock music (and beyond). And regarding his integrity, I have yet to find another frontman who has gone through half as much shit as Axl has, without caving in for 20 years. A lot of people would have given up much earlier, called back the bandmates the next day, dissolved the band and gone solo... What he did with Chinese Democracy along with his musicians, for that long: now, that's what I call integrity. We could need a little Pacino "Scent of a woman" rant to praise Chinese Democracy and Axl.

He is over 50 now, he has deserved to relax, enjoy, and rely on his best material and bandmates. What's coming next will either be a nice bonus, or something incredible, but I'm not expecting anything regarding new music. The man has inspired me and gave much more than I could've expected from someone I don't know. This is what life is about: transmission. Axl is a fucking legend.

5 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I've lost all respect for Axl Rose, but as others have stated he was becoming a nostalgia act long before the reunion. The Axl Rose of 1985-2010 seems to be a completely different person from the Axl that resurfaced at Rock In Rio on October 2,2011. It's almost like he was switched out with a doppelganger. He seems happier, but all his integrity, creativity and passion seemed to have been drained.

The doppelgänger/phantom/clone theory was seriously something I had in mind years ago haha. Something didn't look quite right with the 2001/2002 Axl. The 2001 video with Axl at the Lakers game is so strange, he is completely out of character. 2006/2010 Axl, on the other hand, looked, acted and sounded like the real classic Axl. At this point we could really believe there were two different Axl.
Rock in Rio 2011 made me realize it was the same person all along (no shit Sherlock). 2011 Axl was part 2001/2 Axl, part 2010 Axl.

Axl seems to have had more issues acting like the image he gave to the public than others. There are a couple of interesting lines about this in one of Mick Wall's books (I know, Mick Wall...) where he states Axl in private was nothing like the Axl in the spotlight. I don't have the exact quote, but he says Axl was very shy and very nice in private, and didn't look as arrogant and mighty as when he performed. 

When you think about it, Axl Rose is almost a comic-book character, a vision, a concept. The Axl Rose from the 80's/90's looks and sounds like something out of this world. I've never met someone like this in the real world. There is no one as badass and as charismatic as this guy in the rock scene.

So it must take a lot out of him to bring that character back to life each time he comes back. That's also why I always expect something special when Axl comes back. Each time I hope he can manage to come as close as possible to the 80's/90's Axl, visually, and musically. It's incredible how he manages to vanish from the surface of the earth everytime he stops performing, then come back like nothing happened (except 2011 RIR, it was a catastrophe, very sad day, but now it's something to laugh about haha, I guess he didn't train enough... I recall when he performs Estranged, he says something like "well, I haven't sung this song for over 18 years... but you guys have practiced it for like 40+ times in the last two weeks... my bad", hahahahaha). You don't see videos/photos of him outside of tours, ever. I wonder how he manages that.

After all, it's an act. But what a great act. Marlon Brando said something very interesting about this in his Dick Cavett interview. How we all act, every day, and how we change our act depending on the situation/person. 

As for the passion/creativity/integrity, he has done a lot more than others. No one can question how passionate he is and has always been. His creativity has led to some of the best voice performances, lyrics, and musics in Rock music (and beyond). And regarding his integrity, I have yet to find another frontman who has gone through half as much shit as Axl has, without caving in for 20 years. A lot of people would have given up much earlier, called back the bandmates the next day, dissolved the band and gone solo... What he did with Chinese Democracy along with his musicians, for that long: now, that's what I call integrity. We could need a little Pacino "Scent of a woman" rant to praise Chinese Democracy and Axl.

He is over 50 now, he has deserved to relax, enjoy, and rely on his best material and bandmates. What's coming next will either be a nice bonus, or something incredible, but I'm not expecting anything regarding new music. The man has inspired me and gave much more than I could've expected from someone I don't know. This is what life is about: transmission. Axl is a fucking legend.

1 hour ago, moreblack said:

The music from that era never lived up to the hype. Smart money says this won't either. After all, that was the A material, this is the unfinished leftovers.

Nope. Axl said he views Chinese 1 and 2 as a double album so it's not leftovers even though some people here try to pass that as a fact.  Also slash and duff played 8 cd tunes on the last guns show and said they liked what axl gave them to listen to. It is finished material according to axl and also bumble he said he played on 30 tunes including Chinese. 

Edited by Rovim

Not as many people as you think have those songs, but you have to make this question to yourself, why would anyone get in legal trouble to share songs?? It's ludacris.

That's the reason and it's enough of a reason... Because people that have those songs are afraid of getting into serious troubled they should be.

Edited by Propaganda
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, axlrosefan4life said:

thats what sucks because i'd like to see everyone have the tracks but legal issues for publicly leaking it. but trading the tracks for other uncirculated stuff wouldn't be trouble would it? 

That is trouble as well! 

We don't know the exact state of other songs from the CD sessions, except that Atlas Shrugged was ready to be put onto CD but couldn't fit, according to Bumble (he later said they would probably have to add tracks onto it, so who knows?). A complete song, Going Down, also leaked. Usually with Axl, vocals are added at the end, and we know The General and Soul Monster already has vocals, so likely more of them do. Rumors also has it a complete record was turned it, and rejected, by the label.

As for the argument that what remains wasn't good enough for CD. I don't think that is true. GN'R has had no problems holding off songs for later released. That happened with Don't Cry and November Rain, Perfect Crime and You Could Be Mine, whether because they don't fit musically or because they simply don't have space for more songs. With CD, Axl on a few occasions talked about a trilogy (and later duo) of releases meant to go together. Like Axl describing The General as belonging to Estranged lyrically and coming out on the third record. He seemed to have it planned out. Then it all went to hell. Unfortunately. At least for us who enjoyed all or parts of CD and would have appreciated hearing the rest of it.

On 5/24/2018 at 5:56 AM, Kaneda said:

It's sad that November of 2018 will mark the 10 year anniversary of Chinese Democracy.  Another decade gone without ONE NEW Guns N' Roses song.  Think about that for a minute.  Axl worked on Chinese D from 1996-2008 and he doesn't even let go of all the material.  Making matters even more lame is the fans that have some leaks will not even share them the way they did back in 2004-2008.  What gives?  Why has Guns N Roses turned into this?  A nostalgia act where people are now buying $1,000 box sets of songs and demos EVERYONE has heard now for over 30 years!  Shadow of Your Love is getting people excited?  WTF?   Who even cares? 

The most interesting music is the music from the Chinese D era.  The songs Bucket/Brain/Bumble/Fortus/Fink worked on.  The songs Axl labored over for years to get right.  The songs he wrote while he was trying to prove a point.   That he could remake the magic.   Chinese D is a special album that after 10 years still never gets old for me.  I listen to Chinese D material when I'm melting rubber in the Demon more than Illusion stuff (which just doesn't hit as hard).  

I'll never understand why the GNR fans with stuff won't help the fans get something new.  And the forums are shut down any sharing of leaks/songs.  Literally SO MANY people have the remixed album, Silkworks studio, OMG studio...and yet nobody shares i?  It's so lame watching people gush over a remix of Appetite.  Cool.  Not.  Sorry...but those of us who waited over a decade for Chinese D (and you know who you are) deserve more than this.  All these new fans gushing over the cash grab tour have no idea what it was like seeing Axl and Bucket when the band actually had energy, anger and desire to prove something.  That's all.  See ya'll next month. 

Agree 100%. The wasted talent and potential of that era will always be one of the biggest travesties in music... following the dissolution of the original lineup, of course.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I remember really clearly seeing the 2002 vmas and being so intrigued by this line up, it was so different to what we’d been used to but axl really seemed to have the fire and passion at that time to continue and honestly, to me it felt like CD was just around the corner.

my question is, does anyone else think that if that lineup of bucket/Robin/tommy/brain etc had stuck around that we would have seen CD sooner and would have put GNR on a sort of “alternate” history to how it actually panned out?

in my mind I sort of feel like no extra re-recording of frank, bumble etc would have been needed.  CD was probably finished and had a much stronger industrial feel, which I kind of like, especially after hearing that really rough version of the General with all of the people speaking over it. It just has such an  electro industrial groove but still stays true to the bluesy slash style guitars.

5 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

I remember really clearly seeing the 2002 vmas and being so intrigued by this line up, it was so different to what we’d been used to but axl really seemed to have the fire and passion at that time to continue and honestly, to me it felt like CD was just around the corner.

my question is, does anyone else think that if that lineup of bucket/Robin/tommy/brain etc had stuck around that we would have seen CD sooner and would have put GNR on a sort of “alternate” history to how it actually panned out?

in my mind I sort of feel like no extra re-recording of frank, bumble etc would have been needed.  CD was probably finished and had a much stronger industrial feel, which I kind of like, especially after hearing that really rough version of the General with all of the people speaking over it. It just has such an  electro industrial groove but still stays true to the bluesy slash style guitars.

Axl should have stuck to his guns and released cd between 99 and 02....02 probably best as he was getting back into the public eye again.