System of a Down

Gibson87

I've been getting way into System of a Down since Guns took a break. I'm curious to know what the people on this forum think of SOAD? I personally love most of what I've heard. They seem to draw from a lot of different influences. 

Edited by Gibson_Guy87
  • Like 1

I was really into them around the time that they put out Steal This Album.  Mesmerize and Hypnotize kinda eluded me but I liked what I heard. Really wanna see them live!

Serj's solo career hasn't really drawn me in and Scars on Broadway just sound like SOAD trying hard not to be SOAD, to my ears.  Some good tracks but would be better and more natural as SOAD tracks, imo. So I wish they would just do SOAD full time and tour NA fully again.

• Like 1

Scars On Broadway is more hardrock (with some keyboard sounds) and less metal than SOAD, but it's the same singer/guitarist/songwriter so there are obviously many similarities. 

I used to be very into SOAD when they were still releasing records... one of the few heavier bands that still uses a lot of melody. I think all the bandmembers are originally from the middle east and you can hear the influence in a lot of the songs.

This is a great song performed at the MTV awards but the performance is terrible. I believe there was an incident between them and MTV so this was a big Fuck You to them, hence all the swear words on live TV.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, soon said:

Serj's solo career hasn't really drawn me in and Scars on Broadway just sound like SOAD trying hard not to be SOAD, to my ears.  Some good tracks but would be better and more natural as SOAD tracks, imo. So I wish they would just do SOAD full time and tour NA fully again.

I listened to Elect the Dead and I liked maybe 2 songs off of it but they didn't hold up to multiple listens. I really wanna see them live. This is an older clip but they still go all out when they do shows 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I listened to Elect the Dead and I liked maybe 2 songs off of it but they didn't hold up to multiple listens. I really wanna see them live. This is an older clip but they still go all out when they do shows 

Great performance!  I have heard nothing but amazing things about their shows. My friend saw them and said the band were high-fifing one another and doing jumping fist pumps after someone would pull off a hard riff or epic vocal.  Said that every single person in the arena was dancing the entire show. And it was in Canada!

I dont flow them too closely lately but remember there being some animosity from the rest towards Serj about not being full time committed, but it seems like they've all come to terms?

• Like 1

I saw them in 1999 at Nottingham Rock City and again with the Ozzfest at Donington Park in 2002 not long after releasing Toxicity, the bad weather forced them to finish their set early but they were still the stand out band on that day even though Tool were on after. They were really great live, not sure about now as I haven’t seen any of their shows since 2002. 

I still listen to the first couple of albums fairly regularly - they came along at a time when NuMetal was all the rage and they seem to get dumped into that category a lot now, but I think they were much more interesting and had a lot more to say than the average crappy band at that time. 

• Like 1

I've never seen them live in person, but from clips I was always under the impression that they weren't too good live. Vocals often out of tune and they miss a second guitar to come close to the heavy album sound.

Maybe I've been listening to the wrong clips?

41 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I've never seen them live in person, but from clips I was always under the impression that they weren't too good live. Vocals often out of tune and they miss a second guitar to come close to the heavy album sound.

Maybe I've been listening to the wrong clips?

They suck on clips. It's all about the energy on their shows

3 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

they came along at a time when NuMetal was all the rage and they seem to get dumped into that category a lot now, but I think they were much more interesting and had a lot more to say than the average crappy band at that time. 

They were definitely unique. One of the things I hate about certain bands is that they're politically charged and in your face about it. System was very political but they found a way to be subtle about it most of the time 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I fucking loved them. The riff that comes right before the chrous in B.Y.O.B. is probably still my favorite riff. Some songs have very prog elements to them (with some songs i am willing to call prog metal/rock). I always they thought they had the smoothest transitions from heavy to soft sections

17 hours ago, Mendez said:

I always they thought they had the smoothest transitions from heavy to soft sections

They do it so well. Any band can nail the soft-heavy but not a lot can do it the other way around. I always thought this song highlighted it best 

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently Daron has new album ready to go, but Serg wants new direction, his songs included, and more money - calling it an 'equal' split or songwriting royalties. Apparently Serg wants to fundamentally change everything about how the band operates.

2 hours ago, soon said:

Apparently Daron has new album ready to go, but Serg wants new direction, his songs included, and more money - calling it an 'equal' split or songwriting royalties. Apparently Serg wants to fundamentally change everything about how the band operates.

On the last albums it became more of a Daron show anyway... besides writing most of the songs, he also started doing more and more lead vocals and playing all the bass parts. I can understand not being too enthusiastic when a bandmember is sorta taking over the band creatively speaking.

51 minutes ago, EvanG said:

On the last albums it became more of a Daron show anyway... besides writing most of the songs, he also started doing more and more lead vocals and playing all the bass parts. I can understand not being too enthusiastic when a bandmember is sorta taking over the band creatively speaking.

Its tough in those situations. To compare; we wouldn't have Dark Side Of The Moon or The Wall if the other members of Pink Floyd had insisted on equal song writing credits and creative leadership. I personally don't like most of the Post Roger Wates Floyd work and I'm not too into Serg's solo material either.

I can certainly understand someone not wanting to do metal full time though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soon said:

Its tough in those situations. To compare; we wouldn't have Dark Side Of The Moon or The Wall if the other members of Pink Floyd had insisted on equal song writing credits and creative leadership. I personally don't like most of the Post Roger Wates Floyd work and I'm not too into Serg's solo material either.

I can certainly understand someone not wanting to do metal full time though.

I've given up hope for a new SOAD album. It'll be cool if one comes out, but there's way too much animosity right now. Also, in reference to your previous post, the "new album" that Daron had ready for System is now being released with Scars on Broadway next week

Edited by Gibson_Guy87

22 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I've given up hope for a new SOAD album. It'll be cool if one comes out, but there's way too much animosity right now. Also, in reference to your previous post, the "new album" that Daron had ready for System is now being released with Scars on Broadway next week

Its too bad that money is at the centre of this. I wish Scars would just continue the SOAD sound rather then change it up just enough to be different. I guess maybe the new album might be more in that vein? But its probably better for the bottom line to make Scars different so that when ever they tour SOAD they make the big bucks?

Edited by soon
  • Like 1