The Weed Thread

soon

Lets discuss the kind bud! Share pics!

Recreational Cannabis will soon be legal in Canada where I live. Never thought we'd see the day.

Heres the Green Cush I have right now. Yep, this ones with a "C." Supper high energy, intense focus. Its a 75% indica hybrid from an Afghani strain. Beautiful crystals - some of the smaller buds look white.

4A3vnvbh.jpg

• Like 2

Will it be legal throughout all Canada? I don't think it'll ever be legalized for recreational use in Texas. With big Pharmaceutical I never thought I'd see any legal use in Texas but cannabis oil with low levels of THC is now allowed for some limited medical uses. After all, the dangers of pot are far worse than the opioid crisis. 🤔

• GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, Kwick1 said:

Will it be legal throughout all Canada? I don't think it'll ever be legalized for recreational use in Texas. With big Pharmaceutical I never thought I'd see any legal use in Texas but cannabis oil with low levels of THC is now allowed for some limited medical uses. After all, the dangers of pot are far worse than the opioid crisis. 🤔

Well said about opioid crisis.  Yes, it will be legal across Canada! The Provinces, Territories, Lands and Reserves/ Bands will all be regulating within their bounds - so there will be differences in legal age, type of product and distribution across the Country.

im glad there’s access to those medicinal options in TX at least. There was a time when legalization didn’t look likely here either.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

One of my co workers said Illinois is gonna legalize it soon. I live right on the Iowa/Illinois border so if that's the case, I'll drive into Illinois to buy some and just take a backroad into Iowa.

Hey, did you ever ask your weed guy to run errands for you like mine did? Lol

7 hours ago, Kwick1 said:

Same in Georgia...but you can't get it in Georgia even for the medical, so the people approved have to risk going to other states and getting caught bringing it in....this state is very back assward 😣

Edited by BlueJean Baby

1 hour ago, BlueJean Baby said:

Same in Georgia...but you can't get it in Georgia even for the medical, so the people approved have to risk going to other states and getting caught bringing it in....this state is very back assward 😣

In Texas it's now up to the cop if you're stopped and have less than an ounce, it's a ticket. They no longer have to arrest for less than an ounce. 

9 hours ago, soon said:

Recreational Cannabis will soon be legal in Canada

...at which point I'll start posting pics in the 'Gardening' thread. :lol:

I'll be glad to be able to buy gummy bears from the dispensaries again, though. But I don't think legalization will really effect the 'weed market'.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

...at which point I'll start posting pics in the 'Gardening' thread. :lol:

I'll be glad to be able to buy gummy bears from the dispensaries again, though. But I don't think legalization will really effect the 'weed market'.

Lol, yeah home growing is gonna be a fun part of all this! Its too bad that we can only grow indoors. Because of the energy costs, and not just the lights but also fans and air filters. Because it really does smell to grow pot. I guess we could just skip the filters now? I kinda get how initially it should be inside because people will think that they can just steal a plant and smoke it - which they cant, of course. This happened when farmers started growing hemp, even. But I hope eventually it will be legal to grow out doors. The upside is that all the equipment should go down in price eventually as a result.

Im looking forward to organic, non-GMO options in the new weed market. But yeah, the illegal market in Colorado is still going strong, indicating that not much changes.

50 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Are GMO weed on the market? And if so, what's the problem with it?

Its imposible to know with out a framework to certify or label it GMO free. With an industry as organized as illegal cannabis it is a slim possibility. But weed isnt legal yet. With the corporatization of legal weed it is all but a guarantee that the practice will start if it hasn't yet in legal medical industry.

A few issues with GMO:

Are GMOs bad for my health?

A joint commission of the World Health Organization and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations has established a protocol for evaluating the safety of GMOs, which it says have the potential to introduce toxins and new allergens (or increase levels of existing ones), or cause nutritional changes in foods and other unexpected effects. Other developed nations have used those guidelines in their mandatory premarket safety assessments for genetically modified organisms. But the Food and Drug Administration doesn’t require any safety assessment of genetically engineered crops, though it invites companies to provide data for a voluntary safety review.

Animal studies—commonly used to help assess human health risks—have suggested that GMOs might cause damage to the immune system, liver, and kidneys. More studies are needed to determine long-term effects. And the ability of researchers to track potential health effects of GMOs in the human population is hampered by the absence of labeling. “Physicians need to know what their patients are eating,” Gould says. “If your patient has a problem with food allergies or other side effects that may be related to GMOs, it’s difficult to identify any links unless these foods are labeled.”

Do GMOs harm the environment?

One main selling point for crops containing GMOs has been that they reduce the use of pesticides. The use of insecticides (which kill bugs) has declined since these crops were introduced in the mid-1990s, but the use of herbicides (which kill weeds) has soared. 

The majority of corn, soybeans, and other GMO crops grown in the U.S. are genetically engineered to be resistant to glyphosate, a weed killer better known as Roundup. Roundup is made by Monsanto, which also produces the seeds that enable crops to survive being doused with the herbicide. Since that technology was introduced in 1996, there has been almost a tenfold increase in the use of the herbicide, as illustrated in this graph from the U.S. Geological Survey.

moCkaJil.png

That in turn created an epidemic of super-weeds, which have quickly evolved to become immune to glyphosate. A survey conducted by Stratus Agri-Marketing in 2012 found that almost half of farmers throughout the U.S. are now battling the crop-choking plants. 

The solution proposed by the biotech industry? Creating a new generation of crops that are genetically altered to be immune to glyphosate and to other herbicides that are capable of killing the glyphosate-resistant super-weeds. Dow AgroSciences recently got the green light from federal officials to sell its new Enlist brand of GMO corn and soybeans, which are both engineered to be resistant to glyphosate as well as to an herbicide known as 2,4-D. 

The USDA has estimated that Dow’s new GMO corn and soybean crops would at least triple the use of 2,4-D and could lead to an almost sevenfold increase over the next five years. “Since this is likely to make even more weeds immune to both Roundup and 2,4-D, this ‘solution’ to the super-weed problem makes about as much sense as pouring gasoline on a fire to put it out,” says Charles Benbrook, Ph.D., a research professor at Washington State University who also serves on a USDA advisory committee on agricultural biotechnology.

Significant increases in the use of these herbicides could potentially affect consumers’ health as well, because residue from the chemicals can end up in food crops. In a letter to the Environmental Protection Agency raising concerns about increased exposure to 2,4-D that would result from approval of Dow’s new GMO corn and soy, a group of 70 scientists, doctors, and other health professionals pointed out that studies in humans have reported associations between exposure to the herbicide and increased risks of non-Hodgkins lymphoma, birth defects, and other reproductive problems.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/02/gmo-foods-what-you-need-to-know/index.htm

Additionally seeds can be genetically modified to not produce viable seeds, which would be bullshit. Terminator seeds become a possibility. And they can crossbreed with non GMO seeds of nearby crops producing sterile seeds in them as well: http://www.progressio.org.uk/content/what-terminator-technology

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

Damn this state, just heard on the news that this child with autism and seizures was just taken from his parents because they took matters into their own hands to get weed for him because it made him focus better, he started enjoying his schoolwork and stopped his seizures. 

These state officials are total morons. 😣

On May 30, 2018 at 11:01 PM, marlingrl03 said:

I'm glad my state made it legal...it took forever and a day though to actually get shops opened up.

Thats sucks. Their open now though? Theres shops open all over the place here and its not even legal yet. Some cities are shutting them down, but they just keep opening. After earlier raids, yet another just opened near me. 

We're also gonna be able to order it for mail delivery!