The Weed Thread

soon

18 hours ago, soon said:

No. Each province has different laws for distribution with their own stores contained to each prov/territory. I dont know about Quebec's laws. They are far more liberal then us with their liquor laws, but thats a cultural thing - they introduce their kids to wine with dinner and teenaged beer drinking is common and accepted in Quebecois tradition. I assume that they would be more strict on weed then we are in Ontario, though. So possibly they dont have a lot of outlets open per sq km? I dunno?

About their appearance, perhaps thats just how they look through the eyes of metro-sexual, Euro-Tr@sh?:smiley-confused2::lol: (j/k) Or maybe it was a poor neighbourhood? But also the more chic of Montreal no doubt send a courier service to buy it for them. Maybe you met some $2000 shirt Montrealers who are very much about keeping up appearances and an 'uber-centric' world view?

It was downtown Montreal :lol: And no, these were properly run-down people looking to score. I could have mistaken it for a methadone clinic.

14 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

It was downtown Montreal :lol: And no, these were properly run-down people looking to score. I could have mistaken it for a methadone clinic.

I think maybe you saw Quebecois de souche ("Old stock Quebecers")! The separatists farmers must have come in from the hills for their weed. Like this?

dkgfoUlh.jpg

Or maybe you saw Bonhomme de neige and thought he looked really pail!?!?!?!?!? "The good man of snow" is the best!!

y4nFFN0h.jpg

• Haha 1

Hehe, no, it was more like a long line of such fellows:

Bilderesultat for heroin addict

Anyway, it was probably just the wrong time of the day. I was there in the morning and I guess just the jobless guys went there to pick up their fix at that time. In the evening all the other customers would be there and it wouldn't stand out so much. I am sure.

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Hehe, no, it was more like a long line of such fellows:

Bilderesultat for heroin addict

The members of Anvil and Trooper were there?!?! :headbang:

- Dorchie-dorchie durr Montreal SoulMosnster (What did you see in Montreal, SoulMonster)?

- Durditly dorchie do ershnire 'wacky tobacco' (they have poor people over there! They let them roam freely and buy weed)!

:lol: :lol:

But seriously, did you find a nice place to eat?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, soon said:

The members of Anvil and Trooper were there?!?! :headbang:

- Dorchie-dorchie durr Montreal SoulMosnster (What did you see in Montreal, SoulMonster)?

- Durditly dorchie do ershnire 'wacky tobacco' (they have poor people over there! They let them roam freely and buy weed)!

:lol: :lol:

But seriously, did you find a nice place to eat?

It wasn't so much that they were poor. I mean, poor people are ubiquitous. I even know some. It was more how rundown they looked. I expected that pot smokers in Canada would comprise more of a cross section of the population and not just reinforce my prejudices that they are ate just drug addicts and hippie no good-doers. But I am sure it was mostly due to it being early in the morning and normal folks being at work. 

I can't remember what I ate the first evening when coming in. I can't remember eating at all, just scurrying around looking for places to buy stuff to replace the contents of my suitcase that Air France had decided to send somewhere else. The next morning, though, I ate the best Eggs Benedict in my life at this small place in an area with lots of cool shops and studenty vibe. Then I was off to Halifax. 

8 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

It wasn't so much that they were poor. I mean, poor people are ubiquitous. I even know some. It was more how rundown they looked. I expected that pot smokers in Canada would comprise more of a cross section of the population and not just reinforce my prejudices that they are ate just drug addicts and hippie no good-doers. But I am sure it was mostly due to it being early in the morning and normal folks being at work. 

I can't remember what I ate the first evening when coming in. I can't remember eating at all, just scurrying around looking for places to buy stuff to replace the contents of my suitcase that Air France had decided to send somewhere else. The next morning, though, I ate the best Eggs Benedict in my life at this small place in an area with lots of cool shops and studenty vibe. Then I was off to Halifax. 

Im surprised that as a GNR archivist you didnt stop and ask them who was at the Montreal riot show. Based on the pic, they might have started the riot!! I think youre right about the time of day. Of course people of all walks of life consume cannabis. Just goofing around is all. Here a "hippie" would describe a good doer, btw. Like they volunteer at animal shelters and soup kitchens. They raise money for Doctors Without Borders. They're children's entertainers and puppeteers. Often teachers, scientists, folklorists and environmentalists. 

Yay eggs benny!! Sucks about your luggage! I hope you got a donair while in Halifax.

Just now, soon said:

Im surprised that as a GNR archivist you didnt stop and ask them who was at the Montreal riot show. Based on the pic, they might have started the riot!! I think youre right about the time of day. Of course people of all walks of life consume cannabis. Just goofing around is all. Here a "hippie" would describe a good doer, btw. Like they volunteer at animal shelters and soup kitchens. They raise money for Doctors Without Borders. They're children's entertainers and puppeteers. Often teachers, scientists, folklorists and environmentalists. 

Yay eggs benny!! Sucks about your luggage! I hope you got a donair while in Halifax.

See, I am coming from this society that has been very negative to cannabis and where there is a huge social stigma towards any drug use. In general, Norway is a very socially liberal country, but drug use has always been very no-no. Norway isn't like USA where a whole generation grew up with pot and where even presidential candidates today can talk about smoking marihuana with no ill-effects on their campaign. 

Then here comes me along, trying to be rational about stuff, reading about the effects of habitual marihuana use, comparing it to alcohol consumption and basically agreeing that it is silly that we outlaw one and accept the other. Here I am, arguing that for consistency and personal freedom we should legalise weed. Me, cheering on when countries like The Netherlands and Canada lead the way. 

But then when I get to Canada I get the clear impression that the typical marihuana users are just like the caricatures made by those who oppose it, that it seemingly IS a gateway drug to hard opiates, and that Canada isn't this enlightenment society where just about anyone would line up to buy some quality weed (like you would see at a wine shop) :lol:

Just now, SoulMonster said:

But then when I get to Canada I get the clear impression that the typical marihuana users are just like the caricatures made by those who oppose it, that it seemingly IS a gateway drug to hard opiates, and that Canada isn't this enlightenment society where just about anyone would line up to buy some quality weed (like you would see at a wine shop) :lol:

I think you see people who have time to hang around a long line to get their pot.  What I see is that most of my friends smoke pot a little or a lot.  And most of my friends work and have families.  They smoke it like they drink, at the end of the day, weekends, when responsibilities have been met.  Of course, just like with alcohol, there are those who have developed a problem.  But for the most part, I don't see it causing more problems for them with drugs that they wouldn't have had before.  I may smoke more often than before, because I don't risk my livelihood and reputation anymore, and because I quit my job and have decided to have a good time now.  But I don't see me waiting in that line.  We can grow up to four plants per household, and I have a son who is a horticulturalist.  Perhaps it's time I have a very interesting conversation with him.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

9 minutes ago, soon said:

Here, the gateway to opioid addiction is big pharma and our Drs

Well, here it is too. Or more precisely, it is usually a result of getting addicted to prescription medicine. I wouldn't really call it big pharma or doctors fault that we have few good alternatives to opioids as strong pain killers. But I think doctors do subscribe it too much in the US, when not necessary, and I do think it is a warped system when pharma is allowed to advertise drugs. Thus, we don't have an opioid crisis here, to the same extent as in USA.

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Well, here it is too. Or more precisely, it is usually a result of getting addicted to prescription medicine. I wouldn't really call it big pharma or doctors fault that we have few good alternatives to opioids as strong pain killers. But I think doctors do subscribe it too much in the US, when not necessary, and I do think it is a warped system when pharma is allowed to advertise drugs. Thus, we don't have an opioid crisis here, to the same extent as in USA.

I went too a clinic with severe stomach pains. After a 5 minute examination they said they didnt know what was causing it and prescribed me tramadol. I of course did not fill this prescription and it was not an acceptable course of action to address my stomach pain. In addition to the risk of addiction, it would have potentially masked further symptoms should I have had an issue requiring treatment.

They gave me a significant amount, with no follow up appointment, when Id only been in pain for a few hours. Its crazy over here. At least prescribe Naloxone along with it, but they dont.

5 minutes ago, soon said:

I went too a clinic with severe stomach pains. After a 5 minute examination they said they didnt know what was causing it and prescribed me tramadol. I of course did not fill this prescription and it was not an acceptable course of action to address my stomach pain. In addition to the risk of addiction, it would have potentially masked further symptoms should I have had an issue requiring treatment.

They gave me a significant amount, with no follow up appointment, when Id only been in pain for a few hours. Its crazy over here. At least prescribe Naloxone along with it, but they dont.

Terrible. 

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

It wasn't so much that they were poor. I mean, poor people are ubiquitous. I even know some. 

I'm sorry, but this made me laugh. "I even know some" maybe to find the irony in this statement you'd have to be from the States. 

Here in the US pot smoking has become the norm it seems. Even in TX many counties just write a ticket for it if found with less than an ounce but other counties still charge to the max for a marajuana cigarette. 

13 minutes ago, Kwick1 said:

I'm sorry, but this made me laugh. "I even know some" maybe to find the irony in this statement you'd have to be from the States.

I'm pretty certain it was said deliberately, in jest...though I should probably stop speaking for others!

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kwick1 said:

Here in the US pot smoking has become the norm it seems. Even in TX many counties just write a ticket for it if found with less than an ounce but other counties still charge to the max for a marajuana cigarette. 

I really, really, really hope you realize I was being facetious :lol: 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, soon said:

Same here.  I had a thyroidectomy and two surgeries on my hands.  Each time they gave me at least ten days worth of Oxys.  I didn't take them, mainly because I was working on a committee about Oxy prescriptions and increased addiction at the hospital where I worked so was afraid of them.  And the pain I experienced wasn't bad enough to even require this kind of med.  

• GNFNR 1

21 minutes ago, Orsys said:

Same here.  I had a thyroidectomy and two surgeries on my hands.  Each time they gave me at least ten days worth of Oxys.  I didn't take them, mainly because I was working on a committee about Oxy prescriptions and increased addiction at the hospital where I worked so was afraid of them.  And the pain I experienced wasn't bad enough to even require this kind of med.  

Im glad we both side stepped those bullets! And then either of us had the option of selling our unused prescription on the streets. So much potential damage.

Your job sounds like it was interesting. Thanks for filling that role for our safety! Do you share what your job was online? 

38 minutes ago, Kwick1 said:

Even in TX many counties just write a ticket for it if found with less than an ounce but other counties still charge to the max for a marajuana cigarette.

Thats great news!! :headbang:

27 minutes ago, Orsys said:

Gimme the Oxys!  

6 minutes ago, soon said:

Im glad we both side stepped those bullets! And then either of us had the option of selling our unused prescription on the streets. So much potential damage.

Your job sounds like it was interesting. Thanks for filling that role for our safety! Do you share what your job was online? 

Thats great news!! :headbang:

Director of IT and Privacy.  I participated on a lot of work focused on patient rights.  It was the most rewarding part of the job.

• GNFNR 1

11 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

Well Georgia finally is going to allow growers for medical in the state. While medical has been legal in some cases, it was not available in the state and they were having to cross state lines to get it. This state is backasswards 😜

That's a start. Texas recently allowed for epilepsy but the patient has to have 2 doctor orders for it stating other medications are not sufficient.  I'm not sure where they would get it. I don't believe any growing is legal in TX. There have been CBD stores opening. I doubted they sold real CBD oil but apparently they did. They were recently raided and most closed. 

I saw on the news that major Tabaco company is looking into selling to change their image. Rather than only having products known to cause cancer, they will market pot as the healthy option. My how, times are changing. The South is far behind. 

On 4/2/2019 at 10:55 AM, Len Cnut said:

:lol:

I'm just really lackadaisical in general in life I think.  For instance with me shopping around is like...taking the fun outta shit?  Everyone I know is always out for the best deal they can get but that kind of thing is just so exhausting to me.  Shit, if I had brains enough to work out all that fuckin' scientific shit about weed I probably wouldn't be smoking weed :lol:  But really your approach is the best one I think, I'm just really lunkheaded in general.  I'm sure I've smoked Indicas and Sativas but like...I dunno, I must just be really insensitive, I know people who smoke and like...as they smoke you kinda get a running commentary like...oh its hitting me, oh it feels like this and this and this.  But to me it just feels like high and thats all its feels like.  Also like...I get high and it lasts...like I'll smoke a joint and I'm good and buzzing for a few hours, yet everyone I smoke with can kinda like...measure the shit, that running commentary again like, ok, its wearing off etc, I'm a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittle less high than I was half an hour ago etc etc.  By which rationale I should be a lightweight but I'm not, I can smoke prodigious amounts too, though lately I don't really see the point of it, you don't really get any higher after a certain point, I guess when you're younger that Iron Lung Olympics shit matters for some desperately mature reason. 

I'm seriously considering emigrating to Canada :lol:

That’s what I always said too man. High is high, sometimes it feels a bit different than others, but mostly you just feel stoned. And I drink a lot of beer and smoke some more and repeat and repeat... But on my recent trip to Canada to visit @Whiskey Rose, she had some indica, some sativa, and some hybrid. Let me tell you, they felt quite different when you can do a comparison like that. But yeah, it’s like I feel about bearded hipster beer nerds. Fuck your goddamn “nice hoppy finish with flowery undertones”... let’s pound some fuckin brews and get fucked up!!! And let’s spark up a blaster and have some laughs!

• Haha 1