Roseanne Barr

The worst part is, she’s the one who has the most money out of the entire show’s production (spare possibly John Galecki) and would therefore be affected the least by its cancellation. Her co stars, showrunners, writers, etc. are going to be the ones who would lose money they would need to keep their family and houses a float.

Edited by AxlRoseCDII

31 minutes ago, EvanG said:

That's why they should have fired her instead of cancelling the whole show... Two and a Half Men continued without the leading man. 

I'm not so sure it's that easy in every case. I can't imagine Seinfeld without Jerry Seinfeld

Edited by Padme

1 minute ago, Padme said:

I'm not so sure it's that easy in every case. I can't imagine Seinfeld without Jerry Seinfeld

Yeah, it wouldn't be easy, especially seeing as the show is called Roseanne, but there are enough storylines and characters in the show that could make something out of it. Now with this new season there's a lot of focus on the Darlene character and her two kids so that brings a different dynamic. And they could give the fantastic Laurie Metcalf more airtime, she didn't really have much of a storyline in this new season, which is odd because she's twice the actress that Roseanne is. And then you still have John Goodman. It's not like there's no talent without Roseanne, acting wise she was the least talented anyway of the older characters in the show.

According to CNN, Roseanne has been saying shit for years, so tell me why ABC would bring the show back and hire her?

you know it's partly because of money and ABC is owned by Disney, so you can't have anything bad said about anything.

It was a racist remark and I doubt there's anyone in the world who hasn't made racist remarks at one time or another, but damn, do it privately.

Roseanne is now making matters worse by constantly tweeting more shit that's not helping her at all.

I guess if she's this terrible woman, it's probably why none of her co-stars are sticking up for her. I still don't understand why they wanted to work with her again, if she is this terrible person? Was it the money? What is it?

I think CNN is making the shit worse by still talking about it.

The news should be talking about how this country can make out schools and streets safer for all of us instead of another celebrity saying shit. Say it and move on. Roseanne's show is cancelled, her co stars hate her, her agents fired her, so get on to something really important. Let her deal with her own shit.

Another terrorist attack happened in Belgium and people were killed. We should give these people a minute of our time and mourn their lives.

26 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Yeah, it wouldn't be easy, especially seeing as the show is called Roseanne, but there are enough storylines and characters in the show that could make something out of it. Now with this new season there's a lot of focus on the Darlene character and her two kids so that brings a different dynamic. And they could give the fantastic Laurie Metcalf more airtime, she didn't really have much of a storyline in this new season, which is odd because she's twice the actress that Roseanne is. And then you still have John Goodman. It's not like there's no talent without Roseanne, acting wise she was the least talented anyway of the older characters in the show.

There have been other shows, who the lead actor left and they went on with the other actors. I can see killing Roseanne off and continuing with the Connor family. I bet it would be funny. All the other actors are amazing and we could show more of their lives. I totally love Jackie and I can see her moving in to help out Dan with the kids. I bet one day, ABC will consider it. If it makes money, they will do it.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:19 PM, EvanG said:

That's why they should have fired her instead of cancelling the whole show... Two and a Half Men continued without the leading man. 

A few shows have gone on without their lead.

Roseanne could die during her knee surgery. She has tons of other health problems, so it would be possible.

They could have called the show "The Connors" and had Jackie move in to help Dan with the kids.

Since the news shows are still talking about this some gossip reporter (yeah it's a real job) lol said once a show makes it well in the ratings other networks try to copy it, so maybe another network will come up with a show that is relatable to regular people like us. Guess we'll see.

On 5/29/2018 at 8:23 PM, Angelica said:

Cue the outrage segments from Fox furiously lamenting the destruction of free speech. They’ll play so well alongside their NFL protest coverage. 

I suspect Goodman and Metcalf’s reps made it clear they were walking before the plug was pulled. ABC didn’t cancel a hit show solely on moral grounds or for political reasons (which will be the Fox narrative). 

I really don’t know how to feel about Roseanne. She’s awful, obviously. But also clearly suffers from mental illness (IIRC she was very open about that in her heyday). 

What's this "FOX NEWS Narrative" Bullshit you speak of? What about the CNN, MSNBC, NBC, ABC liberal biased news reporting? I Have no problem with her tweeting. Racist comments don't bother me, why should it bother you? Were you offended by comments not addressed to you? It's a NON ISSUE. This is America, you can say whatever you want. You should just deal with it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 31illusions said:

What's this "FOX NEWS Narrative" Bullshit you speak of? What about the CNN, MSNBC, NBC, ABC liberal biased news reporting? I Have no problem with her tweeting. Racist comments don't bother me, why should it bother you? Were you offended by comments not addressed to you? It's a NON ISSUE. This is America, you can say whatever you want. You should just deal with it.

Free speech also comes with consequences.  You're free to say what you want, and your employer is free to fire you as a result if they don't like it.

You don't have a problem with people saying racist stuff?  Kind of a weird thing to admit.

But I get it... So long as you're not the target, why give a fuck about other people attacked by bigots and idiots?  Nice.  

• Like 2

I'm a belgian and I don't know nor couldn't care less who RB is, haven't read her tweet, but I'll say this.

everyone of us has done or thought stupid things in our private life. difference is, some people post them on twitter / instagram / facebook and get called out for it by the hypocrite mass. not uncommonly, the people who shout the loudest in response to such a mistake, have done stupid shit themselves but are more refined in their online behaviour. with RB, you know what comes in the package. other people are more backhanded.

not that I'm a very trusting person to begin with, but if I had to chose I'd rather have a pint with someone who tells their thought, than a backhanded hyporcite who "appears" mr perfect. There have been many "mr perfects" in the past. not few of them ended up serial killers or rapists. what is the worst that could happen with a honest person? irrepairable damage of your ego?

I'll not join the latest witch burning. don't judge, lest you be judged yourself.

Edited by action
  • Like 2

I do not see how her being a racist loudmouth inherently should prohibit the existence of the show, a show which is a massive employer and seemly successful with consumers, unless that same racism seeped directly into the show itself. Granted I know exactly what has gone on here, fear of corporate withdrawal, racial backclash of network, etc etc - in the end it was just easier to pull the thing. So no I do not agree with its cancellation.

• Like 1

Personally i think TV needs more racism.  Black people get beat up by Sgt Cryer in The Bill, Simon Cowell turning down foreign contestants on Pop Idol, perhaps even some racist game shows like Strike It Lucky where the object is for white hunters to turn the spears on the spearchuckers or perhaps one like How Pure Was Your Grandpapa or Pot the Black.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, downzy said:

Free speech also comes with consequences.  You're free to say what you want, and your employer is free to fire you as a result if they don't like it.

You don't have a problem with people saying racist stuff?  Kind of a weird thing to admit.

But I get it... So long as you're not the target, why give a fuck about other people attacked by bigots and idiots?  Nice.  

Not really. I'm fine with her attacking the left. Honestly the left is what's wrong with America. There is so much more wrong with Valerie Jarrett and Obama that she should phrased her words differently. Discussing their erroneous policies would have been better. Frankly, I don't understand why she did it. They're not even in power any more. She's a Righty, we'll never have it as good as we do now. Finally the country is going in the right direction. She should be happy!

Edited by 31illusions

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Personally i think TV needs more racism.  Black people get beat up by Sgt Cryer in The Bill, Simon Cowell turning down foreign contestants on Pop Idol, perhaps even some racist game shows like Strike It Lucky where the object is for white hunters to turn the spears on the spearchuckers or perhaps one like How Pure Was Your Grandpapa or Pot the Black.

It can work in the reverse also. Honky Come Dancing, where a panel of black people judge (laugh at) white people dancing? 

• Haha 1

I've been made fun out of being a belgian by a dutch poster on here. It's kind of a dutch-belgian thing. I guess the political correct defence force will call this racism, but as the subject of the joke I disagree.

There is a big difference between racist comments, racist jokes, racist actions, racist hate speech. Each of them have their own legal consequences. racist hate speech is a crime, racist jokes are not.

Personally, I'd say the line should be drawn where the law starts to object. as for racist jokes: some people take offence, others don't. this leads to uncertainty in a social context, and that's why we have laws: the parliament, which is elected, declares with laws what is allowed and what is not. And to my knowledge, racist jokes are not forbidden. Still, some people take offence, employers will fire you for it, TV shows get cancelled, but that's the way society works I guess.

7 hours ago, action said:

everyone of us has done or thought stupid things in our private life. difference is, some people post them on twitter / instagram / facebook and get called out for it by the hypocrite mass. not uncommonly, the people who shout the loudest in response to such a mistake, have done stupid shit themselves but are more refined in their online behaviour. with RB, you know what comes in the package. other people are more backhanded.

Famous people are always on the spotlight. They should think twice before they say something something stupid. You can't compare them to the average joe

I agree that this show Roseanne was brought back because she was expected to act in certain way. Still this incident didn't happen in her show. It was a twet insulting people who have done nothing against her.If Valerie Jarret said something against her. Then Roseanne could've shown evidence that would probe Jarret to be wrong. But instead she ranted against blacks and muslims. On top of that she blame her "mistake" on medication she was taken

On topic:  Who cares, some fat unfunny slag said something racist, do i just live on a different planet to everybody else or something cuz I can go through the last week of my life and cite 5 or 6 instances where someone said something racist, so what?!  Is it cuz they’re famous, so, what, people look up to Roseanne Barr and might copy her? Uh...no one looks up to Roseanne Barr, even her dog makes do with just sniffing her feet.

What this is REALLY about is business, it has fuck all to do with race and prejudice, its about a bunch of Harvey Weinstein types getting their tailored suits all sweaty in fear that they’re sponsors might drop em like a hot sack of shit in the desert at high noon because they don’t want to dent their market by being pointed to in a bunch of editorials that go something along the lines of ‘the REAL criminals are the corporations that pedal this filth to us whilst also rotting our teeth with their cola and driving our children insane with their violent movies and videogames’.  

It’s all a load of fuckin’ bollocks, especially when bearing in mind that a lot of these corporations and their partners, historically, can be tied into all sorts of immoral interests, from nazi’s to unscrupulous diamond mining and most other types of immoral practises you can think of.  Things that are a lot worse than some washed up pair of saggy tits making a crap joke.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, soon said:

"Just a joke" was the weakness in the US social fabric that the alt-right exploited to joke and meme itself into existence. Then they murdered someone at their very first National convergence.

I don't fear to be killed myself just because someone made fun of me being a belgian. not sure that should be the first thought when someone makes a racist joke. it all depends on tone and agenda I guess. But that's just me. I'm sure other people are offended way quicker than me when it comes to this stuff.

11 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

On topic:  Who cares, some fat unfunny slag said something racist, do i just live on a different planet to everybody else or something cuz I can go through the last week of my life and cite 5 or 6 instances where someone said something racist, so what?!  Is it cuz they’re famous, so, what, people look up to Roseanne Barr and might copy her? Uh...no one looks up to Roseanne Barr, even her dog makes do with just sniffing her feet.

This is the same chick who destroyed singing the National Anthem and then proceeded to grab her fat crotch at the crowd when she got booed. Who would honestly follow her dumb ass up?

7 minutes ago, action said:

I don't fear to be killed myself just because someone made fun of me being a belgian. not sure that should be the first thought when someone makes a racist joke. it all depends on tone and agenda I guess. But that's just me. I'm sure other people are offended way quicker than me when it comes to this stuff.

I think you've misheard what my point is. I was speaking about the historical rise of the alt right who were allowed to joke themselves into existence. Murder is not my first thought when I hear a racist joke. But its a true story about the alt right, none the less. 

It is all about tone and agenda, I agree. And I guess that is what my point boils down to. In the US, which I was speaking to, there was a huge shift that seemed to appear out of no where. It was masked in jokes that common sense said were harmless. And the alt right knew this and exploited this weakness. They have proven very harmful.

But, as an aside, we've all watched the Belgian-Dutch jokes on here. Has anyone actually been offended? Y'all have celebrity clowns; of course youll get some ribbing :lol:

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:32 PM, gnfnrs1972 said:

I couldn't sleep at all last night. This was worrying the sh!t out of me.;) sarcasm if you can't tell.

lol Good one.

Now they're saying Roseanne has multiple personalities. If this is true she needs to be helped. I really like her show and I will miss it.

Again, if everyone knew how terrible she was why give her the show again? Sarah Gilbert is the one who got them all to sign on and she was the first one to slam Roseanne. didn't she know? She worked with her a long time. Was it all about the money? Damn.

On 6/3/2018 at 10:18 AM, soon said:

"Just a joke" was the weakness in the US social fabric that the alt-right exploited to joke and meme itself into existence. Then they murdered someone at their very first National convergence.

Mike Birbiglia has a Netflix special that I love called "Thank God For Jokes". He's got a whole section about how jokes have been ruined by people who always have to say "I'm joking!" after everything.

Not sure if this will happen, but there's talk about continuing the show but with Darlene's family as the focus. If they do this, they will have to kill off Roseanne to include Dan and Jackie and their mom. I mean what will they say, Roseanne visited today, but not show her.

anyway, it's a shame about this and I wish it hadn't happened. I really liked her show so much.