GNR to play Johannesburg, South Africa on 29th of November

Whats up with this thread? :lol:

There are the Americas. North America is the Northern part. Using the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) as a reference North America is Canada, USA, Mexico.

Rock n Roll is birthed from black culture. It is also informed by Country- Western and folk music music which is primarily thought of as being white music, although it too had other influences and many cowboys where black people - hence the "boy" part of cowboy a common racial slur back in those days. The Folk and Western tradition included black artists like Leadbelly for instance. Ray Charles having a large country aspect to his sound is a modern example.

Edit: Fuck me, apparently we're all 'correct' about the various nations that make up North America!! Depending on where you live and were educated, you will have been taught one of the various versions we've all listed. Some UN definitions only include Canada and US, but other UN docs acknowledge all the way down through (what was once?) Central America. It seems very convoluted. Crazy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_America

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

On 8/26/2018 at 12:13 AM, DieselDaisy said:
23 hours ago, soon said:

Whats up with this thread? :lol:

There are the Americas. North America is the Northern part. Using the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) as a reference North America is Canada, USA, Mexico.

Rock n Roll is birthed from black culture. It is also informed by Country- Western and folk music music which is primarily thought of as being white music, although it too had other influences and many cowboys where black people - hence the "boy" part of cowboy a common racial slur back in those days. The Folk and Western tradition included black artists like Leadbelly for instance. Ray Charles having a large country aspect to his sound is a modern example.

Edit: Fuck me, apparently we're all 'correct' about the various nations that make up North America!! Depending on where you live and were educated, you will have been taught one of the various versions we've all listed. Some UN definitions only include Canada and US, but other UN docs acknowledge all the way down through (what was once?) Central America. It seems very convoluted. Crazy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_America

This thread has clearly become educational ;)

Let's not forget, the origins of blues came from African slaves and their descendants who brought with them the music of their homelands in north and west Africa. In fact so much modern music genres seen as "white" originated from African people, most often it was made popular by white people who copied black musicians (see Elvis Presley).

Just outside my home, Johannesburg, is a place called Maropeng which is known as The Cradle of Humankind. It is literally the world's richest human fossil site. About 40% of all human ancestor fossils have been found here.

So Africa is not really the "dark continent". In fact there were once great and advanced ancient cities here that were wiped out and desecrated by European conquerors...

But anyway... back to the original post: yes us (90% white) South Africans are super excited that GnR are coming here! We missed out on having any bands play here in the 80s and early 90s thanks to sanctions and apartheid. In fact, the only way to hear Appetite for Destruction at the time was through a friend of a friend who's friend had been overseas and got the tape. Most often that was a whole bunch of years after 1987.

Aaand for interest's sake, Heavy Metal music in Botswana has become bigger than ever! https://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/13/world/africa/africa-botswana-metal-heads/index.html :headbang:

On 8/25/2018 at 5:13 PM, DieselDaisy said:

What a load of tripe. Fats Domino, Bo Diddley, Chuck Berry, Little Richard? 

My personal belief is rock n roll was not invented, but is an evolution of artistic expression. I mean no district nor do I have the intentions to inflame any member. I think there are many factors and influences as to why anything type of art form comes into being and singly out one factor is a narrative with an agenda.

8 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

My personal belief is rock n roll was not invented, but is an evolution of artistic expression. I mean no district nor do I have the intentions to inflame any member. I think there are many factors and influences as to why anything type of art form comes into being and singly out one factor is a narrative with an agenda.

rock n roll doesn’t exist, we all know music is music. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fourteenbeers said:

Yup. And when Rock n Roll is officially declared dead,  it can be buried in this:

source: familyfuneralchapel.com

The word "Dignity" below the coffin - nice touch. 

Can we sell the rights to the funeral to youtube? That would be rock n roll. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I feel like, for dignity's sake, all of us at MyGNR should be buried together someday in a GNR themed coffin. There, I said it.

Maybe we'll get a good price if it's included in the The Spaghetti Incident? Locked N' Loaded box set and we all chip in?

Mygnr is the free digital coffin you get with the Locked N Loaded Re-release. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

I feel like, for dignity's sake, all of us at MyGNR should be buried together someday in a GNR themed coffin. There, I said it.

Maybe we'll get a good price if it's included in the The Spaghetti Incident? Locked N' Loaded box set and we all chip in?

1 hour ago, wasted said:

Mygnr is the free digital coffin you get with the Locked N Loaded Re-release. 

This all sounds punk as fuck. 

Edit: this thread is about Gn'R:s gig at South Africa, so  I'm glad that fans over there get to see them too. :thumbsup:

Edited by Fourteenbeers

43 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Are you fucking serious?  There is NOTHING racist about the term cowboy.  The "Boy" in cowboy did not refer to black people.. That has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever read in my life. Typical this day and age though.. Everything is racist.. 

Sorry that a historical fact bothers you so much. But pieces of etymology aren't, to my understanding, eligible to be labeled "dumb."

I think what might be helpful for you is to reevaluate. How is something that was historically true, but is not true today, a reflection of todays world? That doesn't make any sense what so ever.

Edited by soon
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Are you fucking serious?  There is NOTHING racist about the term cowboy.  The "Boy" in cowboy did not refer to black people.. That has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever read in my life. Typical this day and age though.. Everything is racist.. 

Many say Bon Jovi is not hardcore enough. But damn... racist af!

Just now, Tom-Ass said:

The only thing that makes no sense whatsoever is you.  Historical facts don't bother me.. It just is not anywhere close to a historical fact that the word "boy" in Cowboy is referencing Black people in any way.  How old are you? Where to you get your information? The only thing that bother's me is clueless people trying to re-write history. How old are you? Where do you get your information?

You are repeating yourself in this post. Makes me think you are aggravated. Im into a free exchange of ideas, but not in the form of heated arguments.

On 07/06/2018 at 10:27 PM, Bitchisback said:

Central America is a part of North America.  It is not a continent of it's own.  

WTF? So you're also saying South America is part of North America? WOW!

The Americas are three complete different things just to let you know, there's North America, Central America and South America, and both the latter DO NOT belong do North America.

WOW! 2X :wow:

On 08/06/2018 at 12:43 PM, Rickodez said:

This is really dumb. Mexico as part of North and Latin America is right, but nowhere in the world Mexico is Central or South America.

Searching on wikipedia, Central America is not even a thing anymore, CA is part of NA too, dont know if they are eally teaching this in schools, but its easy to see why some people woudnt like or accept this, if they think Mexico alone isnt worth of NA "greatness".

WTF? Since when Wikipedia is a reliable source?

WOW people!!! This is just wrong! Where did you get that CA is not a thing anymore? HAHAHAH So, if CA is part of NA Mexicans don't need a Visa to get into the US, right?

This is just the stupidest thing I have ever read in my life!

On 25/06/2018 at 10:23 PM, The Holographic Universe said:

Black people didn’t create rock n roll or heavy metal music. They played the blues.  

Oh my! Tell that to Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Ike Turner, Bo Diddley, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, the Fats Dominos.

For real? Do you think Bon Jovi created Rock N' Roll?

• Like 1