GNR to play Johannesburg, South Africa on 29th of November

2 hours ago, soon said:

Whats actually funny is that no one said the term "cowboy" was "racist"

All you precious snowflakes. Unable to handle reality.

1 hour ago, soon said:

You are repeating yourself in this post. Makes me think you are aggravated. Im into a free exchange of ideas, but not in the form of heated arguments.

No one. But you said boy in cowboy was a racial slur. The song is titled "but the boy back in cowboy". And I was just replying as a joke to what he said. Then you call people aggravated/snowflakes, seems like you are the one aggravated with your passive-aggressive tones. Chill.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

No one. But you said boy in cowboy was a racial slur. The song is titled "but the boy back in cowboy". And I was just replying as a joke to what he said. Then you call people aggravated/snowflakes, seems like you are the one aggravated with your passive-aggressive tones. Chill.

Okay, thats fair if I just missed your joke. It seemed to me like you were piling-on about the serious issue that was being discussed where I highlighted how a word came into being. But I really respect your sense of humour, so I can believe that you just saw the joke and went for it. And its funny in that context :headbang::lol:

• Like 1

Just now, soon said:

Okay, thats fair if I just missed your joke. It seemed to me like you were piling-on about the serious issue that was being discussed where I highlighted how a word came into being. But I really respect your sense of humour, so I can believe that you just saw the joke and went for it. And its funny in that context :headbang::lol:

All good brah. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Legendador said:

WTF? So you're also saying South America is part of North America? WOW!

The Americas are three complete different things just to let you know, there's North America, Central America and South America, and both the latter DO NOT belong do North America.

WOW! 2X :wow:

Three complete different things? HOW? :question:

AMERICA is ONE WHOLE FN' CONTINENT, not the kingdom of the United States.

That stupid division is basically POLITICAL, because geographically, the continent is not divided at all. Actually, it is the second largest continent on planet earth.

Central and South America are part of the American continent, in spite of the United States wishing we wouldn't exist at all.

On 8/26/2018 at 11:45 PM, soon said:

and many cowboys where black people - hence the "boy" part of cowboy a common racial slur back in those days.

Very interesting! I hadn't heard about it before. Is there a book or an online source where I could read more?

I searched on the internet a bit, and I found that the word "cowboy" was indeed somewhat derogatory for a period, also that there was a percentage (estimated at 25% based on censuses) of cowboys that were black and faced discrimination (there were also native Americans and many Mexicans). But it doesn't seem there was a connection between the two or that the "boy" in "cowboy" was associated with the black cowboys:

http://longstreet.typepad.com/thesciencebookstore/2012/01/on-the-history-of-the-word-cowboy.html

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/lesser-known-history-african-american-cowboys-180962144/

I also found this, which has some more names and stories of black cowboys. It also says what you said about the original meaning of the word; however, it doesn't provide any sources for it, it just says that it "is thought to have originally been a derogatory term used to describe Black “cowhands”":

http://nycfederationofblackcowboys.com/LEGACY_OF_THE_BLACK_WEST.html

Edited by Blackstar

25 minutes ago, killuridols said:

That stupid division is basically POLITICAL, because geographically, the continent is not divided at all. Actually, it is the second largest continent on planet earth.

Central and South America are part of the American continent, in spite of the United States wishing we wouldn't exist at all.

Uhm No.....but I guess it would depend on what you were taught.

The United States is in North America, along with Canada, Mexico and Central America.   South America is its own separate continent.

The seven-continent model is usually taught in China, India, Pakistan, the Philippines, parts of Western Europe and most English-speaking countries, including Australia[22] and the United Kingdom.[23]

The six-continent combined-Eurasia model is mostly used in Russia, Eastern Europe, and Japan.

The six-continent combined-America model is often used in France and its former possessions, Italy, Portugal, Spain,[24] Romania, Latin America,[24] and Greece.[14]

A five-continent model is obtained from this model by excluding Antarctica as uninhabited. This is used, for example in the United Nations[25]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

The United States is in North America, along with Canada, Mexico and Central America.   South America is its own separate continent.

It's a political division and we all know why.....

Pretty much like Europe saying there's a central Europe and Eastern Europe.

5 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Huh? South America is clearly apart, while Eastern Europe obviously isn't.

What's regarded as a continent is based on where you live, apparently. According to some criteria Eurasia is one continent, for example.

Do you mean you regard North- and South-America as one huge continent? If so, it sure isn't just a political division. There was a time North and South America weren't even attached at all. To me, it's clearly geological.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, killuridols said:

You are saying the exact same thing as I am, Dumbo! We are the same continent, but divided and Central America is not a part of North America.

First of all we speak completely different languages.

Second, we don't share the same culture nor the same cultural background.

Third, we are not even colonizes by the same purposes.

That's what I'm saying. :facepalm:

29 minutes ago, killuridols said:

It's not political.  Have you ever studied Pangaea?

Pangea_animation_03.gif

Edited by Kasanova King

4 minutes ago, Legendador said:

First of all we speak completely different languages.

Second, we don't share the same culture nor the same cultural background.

Third, we are not even colonizes by the same purposes.

In Europe, almost each country speaks a different language. Each one of them has a different culture and background.

5 minutes ago, Legendador said:

We are the same continent, but divided and Central America is not a part of North America.

I never said Central America is part of North America.

6 minutes ago, killuridols said:

In Europe, almost each country speaks a different language. Each one of them has a different culture and background.

I never said Central America is part of North America.

Dude, I didn't say you say so. I'm talking about another guy posting here.

Get off my back.