11/29/18 - Johannesburg, South Africa - FNB Stadium

alfierose

2 hours ago, Derick said:

IDK, If you ask a teacher if he does not get tired of giving the same class for decades he will probably respond by saying that the content of his classes can be the same but the students change, the context changes and every class is as it were the first time because it renews the purpose of teaching and that is what gives you the pleasure and motivation to continue teaching without becoming tedious. So if, in due proportion, we translate this to what a musician does, we ask him if he does not tire of playing the same songs for years and years and years ... We would probably have a response very similar to that of the teacher. It may be exactly the same setlist for decades, but it changes the audience, changes the context, and feels the energy of the people there on the show, watching them entertain themselves is likely to rule out any chance of boredom.

totally agree! my parents wee teachers and they never get bored. I always do the same thing at work but I can still have some fun :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Derick said:

IDK, If you ask a teacher if he does not get tired of giving the same class for decades he will probably respond by saying that the content of his classes can be the same but the students change, the context changes and every class is as it were the first time because it renews the purpose of teaching and that is what gives you the pleasure and motivation to continue teaching without becoming tedious. So if, in due proportion, we translate this to what a musician does, we ask him if he does not tire of playing the same songs for years and years and years ... We would probably have a response very similar to that of the teacher. It may be exactly the same setlist for decades, but it changes the audience, changes the context, and feels the energy of the people there on the show, watching them entertain themselves is likely to rule out any chance of boredom.

Nailed it.  Taking away the internet would be huge for the concert industry. No streams, no videos, no instant set lists being published, no internet concert critics picking apart every little thing.

They are providing a concert experience that is fair and we can all relate to. If one crowd got If the World and Right Next Door to Hell and another got Coma and Catcher. Firstly we couldn’t really talk about wildly different shows and it would breed hostility. Everyone got Coma. It was new for wveryone. Seems fair and satisfactory. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fourteenbeers said:

Not everyone likes/loves LZ. IMO they are very influential, but the hyperbole around that band a bit obnoxious.... 

LZ is one of those bands that people either love or hate with a passion. Not sure why, is it the lengthy and boring solos bonham used to do?. I love me some 70s deep purple and black sabbath, but LZ were abit overrated.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Derick said:

I understand the analogy. With that said, I'm a musician myself, and when I've been on considerably smaller tours (like 15 shows in three weeks) neither me or my bandmates can stand to play the same set every night, even when we know that certain songs get more positive attention than others. When you do the same sets over and over, you feel like a machine and it kills the joy of performing. But it's all subjective I guess.

Edited by Homefuck
initially wrong quote

9 hours ago, vloors said:

I cant believe Frank is still in this band. He drains all energy from the songs. Thinking of his tone and style I can't imagine him sounding good in any band actually.

4tus is good. I can live with a useless blue haired headbanging chick but Frank is unavoidably bad on every track.

I wish my lesbian neighbors were hot. But we can't always get what we want, don't we? 

• Haha 2

I cant believe Frank is still in this band. He drains all energy from the songs. Thinking of his tone and style I can't imagine him sounding good in any band actually.

4tus is good. I can live with a useless blue haired headbanging chick but Frank is unavoidably bad on every track.

Cannot agree more. At least he's consistent: he fucks up any song, from any album. 

Fortus is OK and, many people tried to explain to me but seems like I will never REALLY understand what Melissa does. 

• Like 2

From a live perspective I can only say bad things about Frank and we cant really judge CD cause we dont really know the extent he played if at all. 

Id be curious to listen to what can he deliever in studio, a new album only played by him. Maybe playing something that is actually original for him could change our views. 

4 minutes ago, GingerHair said:

Cannot agree more. At least he's consistent: he fucks up any song, from any album. 

Fortus is OK and, many people tried to explain to me but seems like I will never REALLY understand what Melissa does. 

Frank is a damn shame.. It is way beyond people wanting classic era members. He just sucks at playing Gn'R songs...  Axl's voice is one thing.. It is impossible to maintain a voice like his forever and I think overall people accept that he is aging but the band itself should sound better than ever and the drumming definitely doesn't. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Frank is a damn shame.. It is way beyond people wanting classic era members. He just sucks at playing Gn'R songs...  Axl's voice is one thing.. It is impossible to maintain a voice like his forever and I think overall people accept that he is aging but the band itself should sound better than ever and the drumming definitely doesn't. 

you wanted the best, but they didn't fuckin' make it so here's what you get: Frankenroses. did have a nice groove to it when Steven played with them. Was a disgrace that he got to only play 1 or 2.

I've accepted that Frank is the drummer. 12 years, he's all in.

Edited by Rovim