The Blues & There Was A Time 2001 Discussion **NO LINKS**

Thought I'd copy & paste almost the same message from last week because here we go again lol:

Yes, some new GN'R leaks have surfaced.

A studio version of The Blues along with a studio version of There Was A Time both from 2001.

Everyone is allowed to discuss them in this thread but PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR LINKS OR PMs.

Anyone who posts a link on the open forum will be banned immediately.

Anyone who repeatedly asks for PMs/links will be given warning points.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, gnrjanus said:

Haven't heard m. But please do enlighten us in how they differ from the studio versions, the 99 versions of twat. And or the live performances from 2002.  Any major differences?

Yeah I haven’t heard them either.

I’m kinda hoping TWAT is closer to the 99 version than anything. Aside from the lack of solos. The overal feel was my favorite of the leaks for it. 

Twat 99 is probs my favorite two. Just the more live feel to the song instead of a hundred layers of everything. It flowed more. I guess. 

Hopefully someday they'll release it as a packave just like afd.  Just to hear the demos in whatnot forms would be so awesome. U can say what you want about them. Leaks or not. It does create buzz for the band.  And in media. Positive or negative. News is news! And buzz is buzz. 

• Like 1

The Blues sounds kick ass with a lot more focus on the guitars than the album version does, I actually would rate this as my favorite version of the song that's out there!

TWAT does not have the intro and is reminiscent of the '99 version, great version overall but not as exiting as The Blues in my opinion! :)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

The Blues sounds kick ass with a lot more focus on the guitars than the album version does, I actually would rate this as my favorite version of the song that's out there!

TWAT does not have the intro and is reminiscent of the '99 version, great version overall but not as exiting as The Blues in my opinion! :)

2 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

The '01 version of TWAT is basically a better quality version of the '99 demo. The Blues is much more exciting to me. As @youngswedishvinyl said, the focus is more on the guitars and it makes it sound that much better

Couldn't agree more with these posts. It instantly became my favorite version.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

4 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

The '01 version of TWAT is basically a better quality version of the '99 demo. The Blues is much more exciting to me. As @youngswedishvinyl said, the focus is more on the guitars and it makes it sound that much better

no it's not, it's different. I noticed the striking similarity at the first moment and thought it is just the old 1999 TWAT from cleaner source, but the song really is different. the most interesting there are distinctive background vocals and rhytm guitars, which were not present in the old demos and were buried in the mix in the newer ones. also some parts are different, but I had no chance to make a thorough comparison yet. anyway, this version indeed is nice!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, zombux said:

no it's not, it's different. I noticed the striking similarity at the first moment and thought it is just the old 1999 TWAT from cleaner source, but the song really is different. the most interesting there are distinctive background vocals and rhytm guitars, which were not present in the old demos and were buried in the mix in the newer ones. also some parts are different, but I had no chance to make a thorough comparison yet. anyway, this version indeed is nice!

I'll have to give it another listen. 

Just now, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I'll have to give it another listen. 

I did the same thing; I thought TWAT was extremely similar because I was so excited about The Blues :lol:. After I calmed down and listened to TWAT more, I heard what @zombux is talking about.

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

I did the same thing; I thought TWAT was extremely similar because I was so excited about The Blues :lol:. After I calmed down and listened to TWAT more, I heard what @zombux is talking about.

I'm about halfway through and I notice it now too. I really think Axl should've kept the instrumental part of the first verse the same. It fits way better than what we got on the record, imo.

• Like 1

Always liked the guitar/drum intro on SOD. It’s crazy after all these years to hear this version. Our 2003 selves would have broken the board by now. Fans from that era have long been salivating to hear it

Edited by guitarpatch

29 minutes ago, wasted said:

I think I’ve only heard a demo of Twat and Catcher, IRS or were they demos?

99 is Beavan

2001 is Roy T Baker

yes, this is what the general opinion is. we got some very old sounding stuff, considered to be 99 mixes, altough I don't remember if Beavan was there already, they don't sound much like other stuff done by him I know. the "2001 leaks" are considered RTB, but the year might also be early 2002 or so. then some leaks got out in 2006, 2007 and 2008 and it's extremely hard to guess when they were recorded and mixed - at least the newer ones include BBF and Frank so at least partly they were made pretty much "shortly" (a matter of months maybe) before leaking. and then there are the Brain remixes, which are even harder to guess. some people thought that the TIL remix has new Axl vocals because it's very high pitched and raspy like he sang in 2010 tour, but I doubt it, such thing might have been recorded any time. I think the interviews with Brain are from spring 2009, so the remixes must have been made before that.

that's justmy guess, I might not be very accurate in many facts :) 

• GNFNR 1