The Blues & There Was A Time 2001 Discussion **NO LINKS**

@RussTCB you're gonna shout SOD's message till you die; (which I agree with!) I'm gonna shout this till I die too: there are no CD demos in existence that are better than the studio version.  There. :lol:  Well, to my ears anyway.  

All the demos sound like shit because they are demos.  I will never understand what people are hearing when they praise them.  It's like preferring the 1st draft of Harry Potter over the final book.   How can you enjoy the tinny sound for a start, and the far away vocals in TWAT, the weird space between instruments (I can't express what I mean...I need @soon help!).   And what on earth is that terrible whining electric noise at the beginning of SOD?  Thank goodness it got buried in the mix! LOL  

Haven't listened to the others.  I don't think I can bear it. :lol:

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

@RussTCB you're gonna shout SOD's message till you die; I'm gonna shout this till I die too: there are no CD demos in existence that are better than the studio version.  There. :lol:  Well, to my ears anyway.  

All the demos sound like shit because they are demos.  I will never understand what people are hearing when they praise them.  It's like preferring the 1st draft of Harry Potter over the final book.   How can you enjoy the tinny sound for a start, and the far away vocals in TWAT, the weird space between instruments (I can't express what I mean...I need @soon help!).   And what on earth is that terrible whining electric noise at the beginning of SOD?  Thank goodness it got buried in the mix! LOL  

I hear ya, but I got news for ya: that stuff from 2001 isn't "demos" IMO. Those were the final versions of the songs until Axl got told they were good enough. He thought the missing ingredient was adding a shit ton more layers so he did that. The songs didn't get any better, but Universal eventually cut their losses, made a deal with BBY and we get the album.

Note- the above is not meant to insult the album. Chinese Democracy remains my personal favorite GN'R album to date. I love the songs on the album. I just know they could've been released as better versions and these leaks are proof of that to my ears.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

I hear ya, but I got news for ya: that stuff from 2001 isn't "demos" IMO. Those were the final versions of the songs until Axl got told they were good enough. He thought the missing ingredient was adding a shit ton more layers so he did that. The songs didn't get any better, but Universal eventually cut their losses, made a deal with BBY and we get the album.

Note- the above is not meant to insult the album. Chinese Democracy remains my personal favorite GN'R album to date. I love the songs on the album. I just know they could've been released as better versions and these leaks are proof of that to my ears.

Haha! I couldn't disagree more.  I love the layers and the bleeps.  Well, hey, I'm someone who loves Riad and the Bedouins - my brain is wired differently.

If what you say is true, that these leaks represent what Axl considered the finished version, then I guess I fall on the side of the label, which is shocking to me, since another thing I like to shout about is that a lot of the blame for the album delay should lie with the label.  So...ack. :blink: Awkward position. lol

The only song that I feel is genuinely overproduced is TIL.  That should have been sparse and the CD version of Patience (I also don't like the way Axl sings it, but that's besides the point).

And I know you'd never insult the album, we both love it.  I'm just crazy enough to love it warts and all.  :lol: 

9 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

What I still don't get is why he kept adding layers and tinkering for all those years but never re-recorded the vocals when his voice was in much better shape in 2006. 

Just now, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Haha! I couldn't disagree more.  I love the layers and the bleeps.  Well, hey, I'm someone who loves Riad and the Bedouins - my brain is wired differently.

If what you say is true, that these leaks represent what Axl considered the finished version, then I guess I fall on the side of the label, which is shocking to me, since another thing I like to shout about is that a lot of the blame for the album delay should lie with the label.  So...ack. :blink: Awkward position. lol

The only song that I feel is genuinely overproduced is TIL.  That should have been sparse and the CD version of Patience (I also don't like the way Axl sings it, but that's besides the point).

And I know you'd never insult the album, we both love it.  I'm just crazy enough to love it warts and all.  :lol: 

Right on. All good because different strokes and all that. At the end of the day, I'm first in line to listen to ANY version of the album. I just prefer some versions of the songs to others.

In other news, I can't believe we're still discussing the SAME ONE album! haha

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

What I still don't get is why he kept adding layers and tinkering for all those years but never re-recorded the vocals when his voice was in much better shape in 2006. 

I wonder about that too but I actually don't mind his vocals on the majority of the record. Just don't like Madagascar, really.

Awesome! I think the TWAT demo sounds a LOT like the one I already had which was estimated to be from 1999/2000. But still cool. 

As for The Blues, this is WAY better than the official version! ^_^ 

Keep 'em coming boys! 

Just now, username said:

I'm curious about the dates. These claim to be from 2001 (like the Madagascar leak a while back) and the OMG/Silkworms leaks claim to be from 2002. Are those guesses or are they accurate? 

Ron is on omg n silkworms.

But further they are from 99/2002

1 hour ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

there are no CD demos in existence that are better than the studio version.  There. :lol:  Well, to my ears anyway.  

I prefer them because they're WAY less overproduced. They're much more straight forward and they make me feel sad about how good CD *could* have been. 

Just now, gnrjanus said:

Ron is on omg n silkworms.

But further they are from 99/2002

What's your source for that? THey claim to be from 2002 and Ron wasn't even in the picture then. 

• Like 1