The Blues & There Was A Time 2001 Discussion **NO LINKS**

46 minutes ago, SlashisGOD said:

The Blues 2001 is gone from YouTube but there’s a 2002 version unless it’s the same thing. Earlier there were two versions.

It was crazy. I was listening to it, and out of no where the page reloaded and said the video had been taken down. I didn't even get 20 seconds out of the song!!! Scouring the web I go!

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Note- the above is not meant to insult the album. Chinese Democracy remains my personal favorite GN'R album to date. I love the songs on the album. I just know they could've been released as better versions and these leaks are proof of that to my ears.

Although not my favorite I love CD. A 2001 released CD would not have nearly the amount of detractors. 

... and these leaks are proof. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Its Tino said:

Although not my favorite I love CD. A 2001 released CD would not have nearly the amount of detractors. 

Agree.  Although I'm in the minority by preferring the album to any demos so far, I can see how this era album would have been better received with its more stripped back style.  For me, there's still something missing in these demos...really wish we knew the precise reasons why the label thought these songs weren't good enough.  Need a podcast with someone...lol

I love this version of the blues. The only thing I disliked about CD was the cutting of that guitar part. Personally I thought it was a fantastic musical representation of the character in the song taking steps forward then stepping back

So when this leaked earlier today, I thought for sure it was the version of The Blues that we heard in the 2002 tour promo videos.  But upon inspection, it isn't! So there still exists yet another "2001 / 2002" version of the song.  Check this video at around 10s:

3 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

@RussTCB you're gonna shout SOD's message till you die; (which I agree with!) I'm gonna shout this till I die too: there are no CD demos in existence that are better than the studio version.  There. :lol:  Well, to my ears anyway.  

All the demos sound like shit because they are demos.  I will never understand what people are hearing when they praise them.  It's like preferring the 1st draft of Harry Potter over the final book.   How can you enjoy the tinny sound for a start, and the far away vocals in TWAT, the weird space between instruments (I can't express what I mean...I need @soon help!).   And what on earth is that terrible whining electric noise at the beginning of SOD?  Thank goodness it got buried in the mix! LOL  

Haven't listened to the others.  I don't think I can bear it. :lol:

"terrible winning electric noise" Band name, called it! :lol:

Sadly, I havent heard these yet! Nor any of the other recently circulating tracks. Id love to. But havent found them yet.

Lol, I feel like I have a clear sense of what your are saying, the way you've said it! 

And I am with you on the demos (that Ive heard previously) not being near as good as album!!! I love it! 

30 minutes ago, Its Tino said:

that album was rejected by the record company no?

3 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

@RussTCB you're gonna shout SOD's message till you die; (which I agree with!) I'm gonna shout this till I die too: there are no CD demos in existence that are better than the studio version.  There. :lol:  Well, to my ears anyway.  

All the demos sound like shit because they are demos.  I will never understand what people are hearing when they praise them.  It's like preferring the 1st draft of Harry Potter over the final book.   How can you enjoy the tinny sound for a start, and the far away vocals in TWAT, the weird space between instruments (I can't express what I mean...I need @soon help!).   And what on earth is that terrible whining electric noise at the beginning of SOD?  Thank goodness it got buried in the mix! LOL  

Haven't listened to the others.  I don't think I can bear it. :lol:

Drafts/demos are mostly interesting for writers. It boosts the spirits of an artist to see what the piece looks like before being polished. 

7 minutes ago, felixGNR said:

that album was rejected by the record company no?

I cannot confirm or deny that. But when a record company puts out what they deem acceptable, it doesn’t mean I’m going to like it.

for example, plenty of journey albums weren’t “rejected” but I fucking hate every single one of them :lol:

1 hour ago, CoBrA2168 said:

So when this leaked earlier today, I thought for sure it was the version of The Blues that we heard in the 2002 tour promo videos.  But upon inspection, it isn't! So there still exists yet another "2001 / 2002" version of the song.  Check this video at around 10s:

That probably is the 2001 version. The version of There Was A Time in this thread we're talking about is most likely 2000 or 99 pre-Buckethead.

1 hour ago, Stoymatic said:

It was crazy. I was listening to it, and out of no where the page reloaded and said the video had been taken down. I didn't even get 20 seconds out of the song!!! Scouring the web I go!

How many spies does Fernando have on this forum?

1 hour ago, SmackMaster511 said:

I managed to get Silkworks, but missed the OMG and 2001 Blues. Is this the Roy Thomas Baker version?

Here I'll help ya out with one

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoBrA2168 said:

That also had bits from an earlier version of CD.