House of Blues 2001 ***NO LINKS***

9 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

At House of Blues he had the open shirt with one button fastened which shows he was conscious about his weight, and then at Rio he decided to take his shirt off during Paradise City which led to all sorts of unflattering photographs, so I'm guessing 6 months later (the time when the NBA Finals interview was shot) he was desperately trying to lose weight. He showed up in Vegas again at the end of 2001 with 6-pack abs, but at some point between then and GNR's next show in August 2002 he let himself go and put on the jerseys to hide it. 

Listening to the 2002 soundboards of Boston and Pittsburgh and hearing Axl sucking wind between songs was uncomfortable.

I think the only other time he went shirtless after the late 2001 Vegas shows was after the band played CBGB in 2010 and he took his shirt off before exiting the club.

I meant that interview posted above, the one where his eyebrows have mysteriously vanished. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

At House of Blues he had the open shirt with one button fastened which shows he was conscious about his weight...
He showed up in Vegas again at the end of 2001 with 6-pack abs, but at some point between then and GNR's next show in August 2002 he let himself go and put on the jerseys to hide it.

This is all just guesswork on your part

10 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

At House of Blues he had the open shirt with one button fastened which shows he was conscious about his weight, and then at Rio he decided to take his shirt off during Paradise City which led to all sorts of unflattering photographs, so I'm guessing 6 months later (the time when the NBA Finals interview was shot) he was desperately trying to lose weight. He showed up in Vegas again at the end of 2001 with 6-pack abs, but at some point between then and GNR's next show in August 2002 he let himself go and put on the jerseys to hide it. 

Listening to the 2002 soundboards of Boston and Pittsburgh and hearing Axl sucking wind between songs was uncomfortable.

I think the only other time he went shirtless after the late 2001 Vegas shows was after the band played CBGB in 2010 and he took his shirt off before exiting the club.

He unbuttoned his shirt once in 2006 and he looked like 1992; even more defined than December 2001.

But what you said, that's why I keep saying that the two December shows are the Holy Grail. If he got his body in such awesome shape just like in 2006 then maybe he worked on his voice too. It's absolutely ridiculous there isn't a single but of audio from those shows. 

1 hour ago, Jordan Rose said:

It's absolutely ridiculous there isn't a single but of audio from those shows. 

Definitely agree. Surely someone must have recorded it? The audience bootleg from 01/01/01 was very good. I'd have expected someone to record them too considering it was the first shows in 11 months.

1 hour ago, Dean said:

Definitely agree. Surely someone must have recorded it? The audience bootleg from 01/01/01 was very good. I'd have expected someone to record them too considering it was the first shows in 11 months.

It's truly bizarre. We just have those 5 or 6 pics from one person from one song from 1 night. Only thing that makes sense is that security was super tight and confiscated shit. I really wanna hear what he sounded like at those shows, especially Madagascar. 

5 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

It's truly bizarre. We just have those 5 or 6 pics from one person from one song from 1 night. Only thing that makes sense is that security was super tight and confiscated shit. I really wanna hear what he sounded like at those shows, especially Madagascar. 

I was there in the pit dead center stage and it was absolutely awesome! I would LOVE to get a copy of the show! I'm also searching for a t-shirt or a poster from that night of anyone has one they would like to SALE or trade. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Uncle Bob said:

I don't know why but i mistakenly deleted part of what i wrote. I didn't mean to sound that angry lol

He's gotten some unfair shit for his looks over the years, I mean it's natural for people to discuss it but it's an odd topic on some GNR forums lol. I don't really care how he looks though, I saw the show that followed the infamous 'fat Axl pic' in 2010, he sounded great and brought the intensity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

He's gotten some unfair shit for his looks over the years, I mean it's natural for people to discuss it but it's an odd topic on some GNR forums lol. I don't really care how he looks though, I saw the show that followed the infamous 'fat Axl pic' in 2010, he sounded great and brought the intensity.

And even that, it was just a ridiculously un-photogenic angle/pose. I saw them a week later, he looked fine. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Powerage5 said:

And even that, it was just a ridiculously un-photogenic angle/pose. I saw them a week later, he looked fine. 

Yea, he looked normal at the next show:

Spoiler

image.jpeg.64708880d653c9aa5aecebaf1c9b8a7e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c7d903196e8c05e8ce327147c84d11e6.jpeg

Wait what thread is this again?

The Blues from this HOB show is definitely among my favourite versions. LALD is awesome too. The whole show is pretty great really.

• GNFNR 1

9 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

Yep, he was a monster on Live and Let Die here.

It's strange. In 2002, he was out of breath at times, no rasp at times, but could by-and-large sustain notes like a motherfucker.

I don't remember what gig it was but he held that scream on Live and Let Die for what seemed like ages.

But he would go hard on one song and be sucking wind the next. 

Eh. Whatever. No point discussing this for the 400th time. 

Back to Axl's hair. 

*Wig

• Haha 1

Just getting around to watching this. It would've been perfect if Finck wasn't on stage. Jesus Christ what did Axl see in him? It frustrating to hear him butchering the songs like that. Words can't be used to describe how much he fucked up Out Ta Get Me :lol: just fucking awful :lol: Objectively the worst guitar player in GNR by far.

• Like 1

Was listening to Axl explain the Kundun on TV/Chinese Democracy story, and I started getting a bit confused about the timeline.

He says he got a call to do a warmup show for Rio while he was at the House of Blues in Chicago; when and why was he at the HOB Chicago?

It also sounds like he got the inspiration for the lyrics for ChiDem after catching the end of Kundun on the hotel TV while in Chicago; if we're to guess based on the fact that this show wasn't considered until after Rio was signed off at the end of October 2000, I guess he was in Chicago in November 2000?

But what's confusing is that the album was already titled "Chinese Democracy" by August '99.

Maybe he had seen the film on its theatrical release some time in '99 (was first released Xmas '98), decided the title of the album some time between then and August '99, but didn't have the lyrics until November 2000 when he caught the end of the film again on that hotel TV?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Amir said:

Was listening to Axl explain the Kundun on TV/Chinese Democracy story, and I started getting a bit confused about the timeline.

He says he got a call to do a warmup show for Rio while he was at the House of Blues in Chicago; when and why was he at the HOB Chicago?

It also sounds like he got the inspiration for the lyrics for ChiDem after catching the end of Kundun on the hotel TV while in Chicago; if we're to guess based on the fact that this show wasn't considered until after Rio was signed off at the end of October 2000, I guess he was in Chicago in November 2000?

But what's confusing is that the album was already titled "Chinese Democracy" by August '99.

Maybe he had seen the film on its theatrical release some time in '99 (was first released Xmas '98), decided the title of the album some time between then and August '99, but didn't have the lyrics until November 2000 when he caught the end of the film again on that hotel TV?

I always just figured he was rambling and none of it really made sense. 

1 hour ago, Amir said:

Yeah, since the song doesn’t contain the words “Chinese democracy” I believe he wrote the lyrics after 

On 6/22/2018 at 9:56 PM, AslatIE said:

Just getting around to watching this. It would've been perfect if Finck wasn't on stage. Jesus Christ what did Axl see in him? It frustrating to hear him butchering the songs like that. Words can't be used to describe how much he fucked up Out Ta Get Me :lol: just fucking awful :lol: Objectively the worst guitar player in GNR by far.

Whoa there. Finck can’t be the worst if only for the fact that Dj Ashba once played in the band. 

On 6/22/2018 at 9:56 PM, AslatIE said:

LOL. no. compared to the classic era, maybe you are right. in wider context of ChiDem - no way.

• Like 1