House of Blues 2001 ***NO LINKS***

On 7/7/2018 at 9:24 PM, Sosso said:

Axl once said that Robin was his Randy Rhoads. Something like that. 

Robin showd in the CD record he not only could play big industrial things (like OMG, Rhiad and all he did with NIN); but he also did an amazing job with slow powerful melodies, the solos in SOD and TIL are really beautiful.

I can understand what Axl said there. Robin Finck is easily one of the most underrated guitar players I can imagine.
I'd be happy hearing more stuff from him.

Even in GNR he was outshadowed by Buckethead, but... you know; Buckethead.

That big bastard can play the most emotional things I ever heard.

On 7/7/2018 at 9:52 PM, SlashisGOD said:

It makes sense. I wonder what a combo of Slash and Robin would be like.

I think that would of been mind blowing to see if that were to ever happen. I remember reading somewhere that Robin has written a few songs that were very Stevie Ray Vaughan like. You'd have to wonder how much he appreciated being able to expand on his guitar playing when he was in Guns. Granted he had moments where he'd butcher a song, but thats the beauty of Guns, they're not meant to be perfect. Just watch any concert video of theirs...pretty much ever. There is always fuck ups at one point or another during a show. I just find it funny now that Robin is seeming to get the recognition on this forum now as opposed back in the 01-06 days, he was being overly criticized. I do wonder though what Slash and Robin could come up with if placed in a studio together, as they say, opposites attract, two different styles of playing, there is a possibility of something organic coming out of the duo. As great as a player Buckethead is, and I love Buckethead as a player, I just thought even during his time with the band, his presence overshadowed most of the band simply because of his outfit and casual fans weren't taking the band to seriously because of it. 

This show however, seeing the video, I get goosebumps and get a little disappointed as the same time because its an awsome show, the band is tight, Axl sounds great, but I get disappointed on the potential this band could of had if they were given a proper chance and if the VMA performace wasn't a disaster. I honestly think this band could of went somewhere if the 3 albums of music that was mentioned actually got released and if 02 tour actually was successful. I think the tour would of been better ticket sale wise if they started off in a smaller venue like the House of Blues and do the arena's in the Northeast where bands usually  do well such as New York and Boston. But thinking back...my curiosity, the thought of all the music that has been recorded that we've yet to hear from this era overwhelms me. Hopefully one day we'll get to hear what was recorded.

Edited by WWEROSES
  • Like 4

On 7/8/2018 at 1:08 PM, UsedYourIllusion said:

The musicianship, namely Buckethead, Robin sounds better to me in ‘06 frankly, is great; but, the stage presence isn’t there, Axl sounds to me the worst he’s ever sounded except for maybe 2012, and minus Chinese Democracy, most of the CD songs sound incomplete or just meh. 

I get it, first show in 8 years, new lineup, great musicians, new music; but the show itself, I could do without. I’d trade every new GNR proshot for a pick of 1 show from UYI era. But I’m not here to debate the old versus new. 

2009-10 and some ‘06 shows like NYC and Rock Am Ring are light years better

Oh I agree that they were MUCH better later on. I think I'm putting a lot of stock into the smaller things you mentioned; first new show, new lineup, new music, etc. I do think that Axl sounds at least as good as he did in 2002 on this though. 

On 7/8/2018 at 9:54 PM, viruzzz said:

Robin showd in the CD record he not only could play big industrial things (like OMG, Rhiad and all he did with NIN); but he also did an amazing job with slow powerful melodies, the solos in SOD and TIL are really beautiful.

I can understand what Axl said there. Robin Finck is easily one of the most underrated guitar players I can imagine.
I'd be happy hearing more stuff from him.

I'm probably the biggest Robin fan around here (if not ever lol) so I of course agree. His TIL solo is my favorite solo in GN'R history. I also think the solo in The Blues is amazing and show's even more of what he could've done. I really hope, against all odds, that more stuff he recorded with GN'R is released someday.

5 hours ago, WWEROSES said:

This show however, seeing the video, I get goosebumps and get a little disappointed as the same time because its an awsome show, the band is tight, Axl sounds great, but I get disappointed on the potential this band could of had if they were given a proper chance and if the VMA performace wasn't a disaster. 

That's the exact feelings I had when I first watched it. I was shocked that I was actually seeing it at first. Then about 3 songs in I started getting this sinking "wasted potential" feeling. I watched almost the entire rest of the show with kind of a "slow, head shaking" feeling if that makes sense. 

• Like 1

I'd love to be able to watch this. Not sure where though...

I Love Axl's braids and hockey jersey look. It's rebellious nature was probably more 'rock' in it's own right, than conforming to the norm. He didn't give a shit and it was awesome.

6 hours ago, Setzer said:

Did this ever leak as a DVD, or was it confined to the poor YouTube 360p clip?

I think I read it was compressed on porpouse by the guy who gave it to the leaker so he would know if it was his version the one that was leaked. What I have is a 720p (obviously fake) youtube rip, apparently the original compressed file (the original file that was uploaded to youtube before being compressed more by youtube) is also circulating, but I don't have it. Apparently it comes from an vhs copy, not from a DVD.

- This supposedly comes from an vhs tape

- It's compressed on porpouse

- A 10GB version exists, but it's not in public circulation

Edited by fanfzero
  • Like 1

I was looking at the timeline and saw something I don't think anyone's pointed out:

January 1st, 2001 - The new GN'R line-up plays their first show together at the House Of Blues in Las Vegas.

September 13th, 2001 - The release of the Live In Las Vegas 2001 DVD/VHS is cancelled.

December 29th, 2001 - GN'R plays at The Joint in Las Vegas, Nevada.

December 31st, 2001 - GN'R plays at The Joint in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Slash wanted to see the show, but was not let in.

Doug Goldstein, GN'R's manager, said: "We didn’t know what his intentions were. If nothing else, it would have been a distraction. Axl was really nervous about these shows. We decided on our own not to take any risk."

So, in theory, Slash could have legally halted the VHS/DVD release of the New Year's 2001 show and then showed up a few months later at the New Year's 2002 show to rub it in

Axl said in early 2001 that Slash was still welcome to come back, so I'm guessing between the VHS/DVD cancellation and Slash showing up at the New Year's show, the rift was solidified between them for good

I wonder if Slash and Duff actually watched the VHS/DVD or if they just refused to sign off in principle

1 hour ago, TheSeeker said:

I was looking at the timeline and saw something I don't think anyone's pointed out:

So, in theory, Slash could have legally halted the VHS/DVD release of the New Year's 2001 show and then showed up a few months later at the New Year's 2002 show to rub it in

Axl said in early 2001 that Slash was still welcome to come back, so I'm guessing between the VHS/DVD cancellation and Slash showing up at the New Year's show, the rift was solidified between them for good

I wonder if Slash and Duff actually watched the VHS/DVD or if they just refused to sign off in principle

I think there were also troubles with this with Apettite for Democracy, a lot of theaters were announced for it on March 2014 and it wasn't released until July. I called a local cinema and they told me the proyection was cancelled due to distribution rights.

On 7/10/2018 at 6:39 AM, RussTCB said:

I'm probably the biggest Robin fan around here (if not ever lol) so I of course agree. His TIL solo is my favorite solo in GN'R history. I also think the solo in The Blues is amazing and show's even more of what he could've done. I really hope, against all odds, that more stuff he recorded with GN'R is released someday.

That's the exact feelings I had when I first watched it. I was shocked that I was actually seeing it at first. Then about 3 songs in I started getting this sinking "wasted potential" feeling. I watched almost the entire rest of the show with kind of a "slow, head shaking" feeling if that makes sense. 

Yup, I completely get it. Whenever I pop in a bootleg rather if its a dvd or cd of that tour, regardless how Axl sounded on some nights, I end up doing the same thing...just a slow head shake on what could of been.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

wait, where?

4 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

Not sure Slash could have blocked the release of the VHS/DVD. NuGuns was under a new partnership that Slash had no stake in. Axl continued with the Guns N' Roses name, but it was like he branched off and created his own band. Though they did play old Guns material and i don't know if thats where he would need Slash/Duffs approval. If so that would be a dumb & short sighted move by them not to sign off.

My guess is Axl was paranoid about how he looked and sounded and decided to shelve it.

Edited by -W.A.R-
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

Not sure Slash could have blocked the release of the VHS/DVD. NuGuns was under a new partnership that Slash had no stake in. Axl continued with the Guns N' Roses name, but it was like he branched off and created his own band. Though they did play old Guns material and im not sure if thars were he would need Slash/Duffs approval. If so that would be a dumb & short sighted move by them not to sign off.

My guess is Axl was paranoid about how he looked and sounded and decided to shelve it.

Although it's been considered a fact that Axl formed a new partnership (NuGnR), it's doubtful that it really happened. Axl didn't leave the old partnership, even though he formed a new band; and Slash and Duff didn't leave either (although they left the band) so they kept their controlling rights to the assets and the back catalogue. It's complicated: