House of Blues 2001 ***NO LINKS***

7 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

Not sure Slash could have blocked the release of the VHS/DVD. NuGuns was under a new partnership that Slash had no stake in. Axl continued with the Guns N' Roses name, but it was like he branched off and created his own band. Though they did play old Guns material and i don't know if thats where he would need Slash/Duffs approval. If so that would be a dumb & short sighted move by them not to sign off.

My guess is Axl was paranoid about how he looked and sounded and decided to shelve it.

Slash/Duff/Axl never ceased being "Guns N' Roses" as a legal entity.

The only officially released material that was sold by NewGNR was the Chinese Democracy album and the Appetite for Democracy DVD/Blu Ray.

7 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Although it's been considered a fact that Axl formed a new partnership (NuGnR), it's doubtful that it really happened. Axl didn't leave the old partnership, even though he formed a new band; and Slash and Duff didn't leave either (although they left the band) so they kept their controlling rights to the assets and the back catalogue. It's complicated:

Axl did did leave the partnership in August 95

2 minutes ago, Fashionista said:

Axl did did leave the partnership in August 95

In August 95 he sent a resignation letter/legal notice saying he would leave the partnership on Dec. 31st (because according to a clause in the 1992 partnership agreement, a partner who wanted to leave had to sent a notice 120 days before). But it seems he never left. I go on detail on this in the posts I linked.

9 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

Not sure Slash could have blocked the release of the VHS/DVD. NuGuns was under a new partnership that Slash had no stake in. Axl continued with the Guns N' Roses name, but it was like he branched off and created his own band. Though they did play old Guns material and i don't know if thats where he would need Slash/Duffs approval. If so that would be a dumb & short sighted move by them not to sign off.

My guess is Axl was paranoid about how he looked and sounded and decided to shelve it.

With releases of music on physical media or streaming, a statute governs the rate for uses of another person's song. For instance, if Axl had released a double-CD of the 1/1/2001 show, he would not need Slash, Duff, Izzy, or Steven's permission to release any old GN'R songs, nor would he need permission for any cover songs (Bob Dylan for "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" or Paul McCartney for "Live and Let Die."). For video, however, no such statute exists. Individual songwriters have to give permission, and can make up any arbitrary number they want. I do not know whether Slash withholding permission or pricing himself too high was what actually occurred to prevent the HOB DVD, but he definitely could have. Rumors I've heard here over the years, however, suggest the band never fully paid the crew, so I would imagine that was more likely the cause of this DVD disappearing. 

With the Appetite for Democracy DVD/Blu-Ray, I remember reading Neil Young wanted too much for "Don't Let It Bring You Down," which was why it got cut from the DVD. Apparently, Slash wanted to renegotiate his rates, which led to some concern he would effectively "block" the release. Instead, his requests were actually fairly reasonable, and apparently began the "thaw" between Axl and Slash. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Axl4ever7 said:

It's official? The MTV VMA rehearsals are in somebody's possession?

yes, of what I know that only one guy has it (but that was already known for DECADES literally). 

demands such a crazy amount of cash for it, that I laughed hard over it and said no way.

Edited by zombux
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, zombux said:

sim, do que eu sei que apenas um cara tem (mas isso já era conhecido por DÉCADAS literalmente). 

exige uma quantidade tão louca de dinheiro por isso, que eu ri muito e disse de jeito nenhum.

Give me the contact of this guy that I buy and release for everyone

2 hours ago, zombux said:

yes, of what I know that only one guy has it (but that was already known for DECADES literally). 

demands such a crazy amount of cash for it, that I laughed hard over it and said no way.

How much?

On 11/07/2018 at 10:50 PM, TheSeeker said:

Axl said in early 2001 that Slash was still welcome to come back, so I'm guessing between the VHS/DVD cancellation and Slash showing up at the New Year's show, the rift was solidified between them for good

Where he said it? still waiting for the reply.

52 minutes ago, NeonKinight said:

Where he said it? still waiting for the reply.

This information came from Marc Canter. Axl had told him in 2001 that Slash would be welcomed to play on CD if he apologised "for the lies he had said in the media". Marc said that Axl was thinking of using some of the Slash material from 1994-96 and that's why he wanted Slash on the album.

Interestingly enough, I think that about the same time (a little earlier probably) Axl had called Izzy asking for the tapes of the 1995 sessions with Duff and kept two songs (one of them was Down By The Ocean). He had also asked Izzy to play in RIR 2001.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Thanks 1

"It is speculated that Slash, who left GN'R to form Slash's Snakepit, will be watching the show in Rock in Rio 3 and will be able to participate in the presentation of his former group.

Slash said in interviews that it's possible, and it only depends on Axl, since he will play in Argentina around the same days, and will be keen to watch the Guns N 'Roses show in Rio."

https://www1.folha.uol.com.br/folha/ilustrada/ult90u8657.shtml

35 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

This information came from Marc Canter. Axl had told him in 2001 that Slash would be welcomed to play on CD if he apologised "for the lies he had said in the media". Marc said that Axl was thinking of using some of the Slash material from 1994-96 and that's why he wanted Slash on the album.

Interestingly enough, I think that about the same time (a little earlier probably) Axl had called Izzy asking for the tapes of the 1995 sessions with Duff and kept two songs (one of them was Down By The Ocean). He had also asked Izzy to play in RIR 2001.

huh. I heard the former, at least I vaguely remember so.

but that Izzy thing is very "new" to me :)