Why is Axl so calm and happy nowadays?

11 hours ago, themadcaplaughs said:

I would imagine...

-Having something of a "family unit" with the Lebeis clan. Even Alan Niven, who had a lot of strong words about Fernando, admitted without hesitation that they play an important role in his life. 
-Therapy and proper medication (not an insult at all. Mental health is important). 
-Slash and Duff being back. No matter what people say, and how happy Axl felt with other lineups, I imagine the shadow of those band members along with the memories of how badly things ended with them ate up a lot of Axl's thoughts. 
-Guns N' Roses pretty much runs today how Axl wanted it to in 1996. He runs the show, but Duff and Slash play an important part. 
-At the risk of sound crass, I'm sure the financial security that comes with the Not in This Lifetime tour help. From various documents, sources, and lawsuits (namely the Pittman suit), it appeared financial problems plagued the various touring lineups after Slash left. From what we heard, the band was essentially in a perpetual loop of debt. They would rack up debt, have to play shows to make money to pay that debt, and then rack up more debt in the process of touring. 

Like this post 👍. In terms of the financial benefits its not crass at all. Im sure now hes happy he can tour and make alot of money without knowing the record company or an ex band member is wanting to sue him and no longer has those worries in his mind. He can now financially enjoy the fruits of the success of the tour and not feel he has a mountain on his shoulders anymore in terms of making business decisions that he didnt feel he had to. He has slash and punk as fuck willing to share responsibilities if required.

Edited by Sydney Fan

The Slash thing was a huge albatross on his shoulders. He released Chinese Democracy (at least part of it). He gets to hand out with friends old and new. He has a family. He's got Slash and Duff playing on songs that mean a lot to him. Doesn't seem to be any pressure from the label to release an album. He got to front one of his childhood favourite bands. Lots of reasons to be happy :) 

15 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

The struggle of Chinese Democracy is over.

After all these years, he surrendered part of himself and while he seemed sure that would mean defeat, it’s given him personal freedom. 

I agree. I saw Man Booker Prize 2014 winner Richard Flanagan discuss how creating and releasing artwork 'diminishes you' in an Imagine documentary three years ago. Like Axl with his music, Flanagan writes from deep in his mind.

I felt the same way at the time, nearing the end of a decade long writing project and book trilogy. However, now I feel refreshed and stronger again, as if like in exercise, where muscle fibres build themselves stronger to do better next time: like the famous old quote, what doesn't destroy you makes you stronger.

Plus, at our age, you kind of think you've done all you can. While one human evolves a lot in a lifetime, the human species doesn't. When you see youth just wanting to act in the bad ways you saw when young, or governments importing cultures that are worse; or alternatives such as gangs act worse, and you learn nature is generally quite cruel as well (even herbivores kill each other to mate etc); like King Cnut did with the ocean for nature, you just accept that you can't stand in the way of humanity the cruel/negligent destroyer (that side of the species, although there is a very nice side too, as with other animals), so you just start to go with the flow!

• Like 2

On 2018-06-14 at 9:30 PM, Axl_morris said:

His audience is a lot younger now so maybe feels ranting isn't as meaningful. 

Less pressure on him from ex girlfriends chasing him for court, and every magazine talking about him,...etc Axl was under huge pressure on the UYI tour.

younger? i thought the crowd nowadays were older in general. Almost everyone were 30+ last time i saw them in 2017. in 2006 almost the whole front row were teens and the crowd were MUCH crazier in 2006. maybe beacause almost no one had their phone up in the air.. idk. =)

As to why he seems happier and calm? Well people get older and wiser and he made peace with his former bandmates. It's ridiculous how some people on this forum are so fucking stuck in the 90's lol. PEOPLE CAN CHANGE OVER THE YEARS :) 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, estranged_85 said:

younger? i thought the crowd nowadays were older in general. Almost everyone were 30+ last time i saw them in 2017. in 2006 almost the whole front row were teens and the crowd were MUCH crazier in 2006. maybe beacause almost no one had their phone up in the air.. idk. =)

As to why he seems happier and calm? Well people get older and wiser and he made peace with his former bandmates. It's ridiculous how some people on this forum are so fucking stuck in the 90's lol. PEOPLE CAN CHANGE OVER THE YEARS :) 

Haha. :lol:Wake up call: 90ies are over! Thank god!

I guess it is very healthy as an artist to not take all of this showbiz thing too serious. I guess Axl has realized this. His happiness does not depend only on how GNR works and this is what we get. By the way:  I do not think ( from a human point of view) that it is a good idea at all for a psychologically damaged person to enter the Entertainment industry because everything will get worse for this person...but of Course especially those kind of people get involved in this profession of overexposure, cold hearted, greedy managers and crazy, hysterical fans...

7 hours ago, Amir said:

The Slash thing was a huge albatross on his shoulders. He released Chinese Democracy (at least part of it). He gets to hand out with friends old and new. He has a family. He's got Slash and Duff playing on songs that mean a lot to him. Doesn't seem to be any pressure from the label to release an album. He got to front one of his childhood favourite bands. Lots of reasons to be happy :) 

These things are probably a big of it too, for sure.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2018 at 7:42 PM, Loot Man said:

When I look at him on stage, he seems to be so calm and happy. We remember other times, when he was not like that, and it led to riots, fights and much more.

So what happened to him? Aging, medication, reunion - what? Do not misunderstand me, I don´t want old Axl back - at least not every day - but the change is so big that it makes me think what happened to him? 

I guess he is in a happier place these days. Not much to prove, other than entertain the fans etc. Also, the Chinese Democracy era has passed, and my guess is, he is happy to see the back of that experiment, for all it's plus and negatives. Besides, hitting the stage with Slash and Duff complete with audience approval must provide a buzz second to none.

I wonder if Axl will record any more new material?

I was reading in this weeks Kerrang! magazine that GN'R at Download fest. were great, and receieved a KKKKK for their 3.5hr show and showed others (bands) how it should be done :)

Edited by star

On 15/06/2018 at 6:13 PM, Gnrcane said:

If Axl was more unpredictable, volatile and dangerous presently, there wouldn't be any shows.  Duff and Slash, both of whom matured and recovered from their addiction problems, would not put up with it.

You ruining everything. 

Everyone always gives me shit for saying this because they just want to believe Axl is "happy" now but... the guy is obviously properly medicated for the first time in his life. He's a diagnosed bi-polar and has never, ever... even into his forties, behaved this way consistently. For him to go more than fifty years and then just POOF, change? When he's suffering from something as dramatically disruptive as bi-polar disorder? No, just... no. There's no amount of good fortune that can ease chemical imbalance. 

He probably decided that he'd finally had enough and gotten himself some help. 

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 2

On 16/06/2018 at 5:15 PM, PirateRadio said:

Yeah cuz he didn’t make $$$$$$$$$ in 1991..

Id be pretty happy if after 10 years of reclusion and 16 years of public shame playing half empty theaters and being a parody of myself I suddenly started to play full stadiums and be the hottest thing in rock n roll again. 

Well, it's, for sure, a combination and synergy of factors:

1. GnR has released a long-delayed CD and Axl finally ended this struggle. 

2. I also heard about Axl being bipolar, as it was mentioned before (Hi, Carrie Mathison), and probably he started to treat himself properly. In addition, there were less stress as CD was released, and an outside mdeia pressure was also reduced. He even occasionally played with Duff and Izzy in 2010 and in 2006 - tensions were coming off. And it's really importaint for bipolar as well as to establish yourself properly. Watch Homeland. 

3. Finally managed to back on good terms with Slash and Duff in 2015. For sure, it was burdening him in some way.

4. The reunion went very well - no more financial complains for rights, no more negative media gossips and, of course, a great financial success. Axl even opened about reuniting with Izzy and Adler, but it has just didn't played out. 

5. Suppose, better time- and anger-management, less public appereances also helped much.

Well, must say, in 2016 that was complete surreal. In 2014 I thought, that even Led Zeppelin will reunite sooner than GnR. 

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 3:15 AM, Gnrcane said:

There's been several wealthy famous people committing suicide lately. Money doesn't guarantee happiness!

Axl might have been tempted to kill himself for the Axl-Guns 'brand' like Kate Spade apparently did to protect her 'happy brand' ('My little sister Katy was a precious, precious little person,' Saffo told DailyMail.com. 'Genuine in almost every way. 'Just dear - but she was surrounded by YES people, for far too long, therefore she did not receive the proper care for what I believed to be (and tried numerous times to get her help for) bipolar disorder... stemming from her immense celebrity.' Saffo said the 55-year-old never anticipated how successful her brand would become - and how she, with it, would become a household name: 'She never expected it - nor was she properly prepared for it.' http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5808813/Kate-Spade-dead-Park-Avenue-apartment-apparent-suicide.html) if he'd had great success or failure with Chinese Democracy, but the way Guns have meandered into being a financially secure appreciated classics band has probably helped him - made him see his limitations without pulling the rug out from beneath him.

The old revolutionary Guns he might have died for is history, and he's accepted his new role as a classics middle-aged singer, as Jagger had in the 80s when Guns took over for a while.

While some new Guns fans want to see the old Axl and Guns, and I would too, he'd probably have to 'act' it now, which wouldn't be true to himself, defeating the object, as the essence of the 1980s Guns was their 'truth' and 'dignity'.

Edited by Axl's Agony Aunt
clarity

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 12:32 AM, Sydney Fan said:

I reckon the tour is missing the odd axl rant every now and again.

I could change my name to Axl's Agony Rant?

Outta Get Me 2018 would probably have to be about his mansion staff: catering or swimming-pool?

Edited by Axl's Agony Aunt
even more self-proclaimed genius humour

Slash And Duff are back in his life , not many times u get to do things over again , Slash And Axl were brothers they fell apart over something , they both felt each other let the other down , Now they are back playing  Music together with DUFF too, They are back on top of the world in music , when a close friend like a brother and  yourself reconnect it has to be happy times , they feel like a new band again , they are excited , they have grown up , both of them and that is great for us fans 

• Like 1

Yeah. I really like to think that it's the fact that Slash and Duff are back in the band. That it's the feeling of having his band back and that things are somewhat right again in that not all the heavy lifting is lying on his shoulders and that GNR is on top of the world again. But looking at him, I wouldn't be surprised if it's also the right meds. His behaviour on stage is just day and night. I've really started to like the guy again. His waving and reacting and responding to people during the show. During Coma, after "I never really wanted to live" the guy next to me yelled, "Axl, I love you." and Axl was responding "And I love you too.". Just amazing to see the seemingly grumpy and never quite content Axl behave this way.

• Like 2

probably cuz hes on meds... or hes just reached that age where being pissed off and reckless just isnt fun anymore but i think its cuz hes on meds... doesnt have anything to do with duff or slash cuz he was "happy" and "tame" on kimmel... if anything i think being on meds may be the reason he welcomed slash back with open arms... that and the hundreds of millions of dollars couldnt hurt either