Why don't they ever/rarely play certain songs live?

Not to get into a setlist discussion, but I was wondering why they never play some of their best songs in concert? I sure appreciate them doing Estranged and Coma, but I wouldn't mind some even deeper cuts. They have so many great original songs but they rarely ever play them!

Like Breakdown, Catcher In The Rye, Locomotive, Prostitute, Dead Horse, The Garden, Sorry...I mean seriously that's some really good shit, much better than the covers they do every night.

Do you think they don't like these songs anymore? Or maybe they are too hard for them to pull them off in concert?

• Like 3

Most of the people in the audience are casual fans and they wanna hear the bands classics. There's not much room left if you sum up every classic song, cover and solo/instrumental.

Edited by Sosso

14 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Most of the people in the audience are casual fans and they wanna hear the bands classics. There's not much room left if you sum up every classic song, cover and solo/instrumental.

pretty much this. 

I think they should do some more deep cuts or acoustic songs when they come back for a second or third leg of a tour. But i guess they try to please the majority of the crowd. 

• Like 1

I understand the argument that they could replace the covers, but simply adding these songs in the set wouldn’t make sense, some are technically too difficult live, some aren’t loved by casuals, and there might be some emotional distachment  since they were written. 

The one I don’t understand is dead horse. Such a great song 

2 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I understand the argument that they could replace the covers, but simply adding these songs in the set wouldn’t make sense, some are technically too difficult live, some aren’t loved by casuals, and there might be some emotional distachment  since they were written. 

The one I don’t understand is dead horse. Such a great song 

Agreed with Dead horse, and i would add 14 years.

• Like 2

GNR have tons of hits.

Casual fans payed to hear these hits.

When this question truly comes into play is the covers situation. They play like 7 covers a show, they could easily do a show with only one or 2 covers and deep cuts. But we’ll never know that one

I wont complain about the setlist but its odd they dont play dont cry AND patience at every gig being both super popular singles, and they play covers like Wichita who nobody knows. they should swap the covers no the hit singles!

7 minutes ago, James Bond said:

If the set was a lean and mean two hours with strictly the hits it would totally make sense to only stick with the hits, but if they’re going to bother with all the covers and 3+ hour sets it seems silly to not add in a few more originals.

To me, something Slither is fair game but why is Black Hole Sun still around? That could easily become say a short rocker like Pretty Tied Up or Dead Horse.

They could easily replace Black Hole Sun with Bad Obession. It would also be more suitable for Axl's voice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Walapino said:

I wont complain about the setlist but its odd they dont play dont cry AND patience at every gig being both super popular singles, and they play covers like Wichita who nobody knows. they should swap the covers no the hit singles!

I guess that Wichita is more US thing ,no much in other country that nobody know.

2 hours ago, Sosso said:

this is pure nonsense

there is A LOT of room left IF ONLY THEY WANTED TO play other songs

they can play 10-13 classics every night and rotate 10 "deep(er)" cuts every night

10 minutes ago, It’s So Easy said:

Axl better not sing 14 years without Izzy. That won’t be cool. 

This is't i refered , he not sing 14 years because he always sing this song with Izzy, i remember  Izzy was the first vocal in 14 years and Axl as support of Izzy ,but is a beautiful song.

• Like 1