Jump to content
adamsapple

Why don't they ever/rarely play certain songs live?

Recommended Posts

Not to get into a setlist discussion, but I was wondering why they never play some of their best songs in concert? I sure appreciate them doing Estranged and Coma, but I wouldn't mind some even deeper cuts. They have so many great original songs but they rarely ever play them!

Like Breakdown, Catcher In The Rye, Locomotive, Prostitute, Dead Horse, The Garden, Sorry...I mean seriously that's some really good shit, much better than the covers they do every night.

Do you think they don't like these songs anymore? Or maybe they are too hard for them to pull them off in concert?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know why bands only play some songs a few times if they’re fan favorites. Just play it in pro shot or in soundboard so they can get the song they want live.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Most of the people in the audience are casual fans and they wanna hear the bands classics. There's not much room left if you sum up every classic song, cover and solo/instrumental.

Edited by Sosso

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Most of the people in the audience are casual fans and they wanna hear the bands classics. There's not much room left if you sum up every classic song, cover and solo/instrumental.

pretty much this. 

I think they should do some more deep cuts or acoustic songs when they come back for a second or third leg of a tour. But i guess they try to please the majority of the crowd. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People want the hits. Avenged Sevenfold let their fans pick the setlist for a leg of a tour one year and they all voted for the hits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People want hits but there's a lot of bloat in their set.  Lots of stuff that could be cut/swapped out for other songs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand the argument that they could replace the covers, but simply adding these songs in the set wouldn’t make sense, some are technically too difficult live, some aren’t loved by casuals, and there might be some emotional distachment  since they were written. 

The one I don’t understand is dead horse. Such a great song 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I understand the argument that they could replace the covers, but simply adding these songs in the set wouldn’t make sense, some are technically too difficult live, some aren’t loved by casuals, and there might be some emotional distachment  since they were written. 

The one I don’t understand is dead horse. Such a great song 

Agreed with Dead horse, and i would add 14 years.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Maybe you’re crazy too

Never liked you're crazy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GNR have tons of hits.

Casual fans payed to hear these hits.

When this question truly comes into play is the covers situation. They play like 7 covers a show, they could easily do a show with only one or 2 covers and deep cuts. But we’ll never know that one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wont complain about the setlist but its odd they dont play dont cry AND patience at every gig being both super popular singles, and they play covers like Wichita who nobody knows. they should swap the covers no the hit singles!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, James Bond said:

If the set was a lean and mean two hours with strictly the hits it would totally make sense to only stick with the hits, but if they’re going to bother with all the covers and 3+ hour sets it seems silly to not add in a few more originals.

To me, something Slither is fair game but why is Black Hole Sun still around? That could easily become say a short rocker like Pretty Tied Up or Dead Horse.

They could easily replace Black Hole Sun with Bad Obession. It would also be more suitable for Axl's voice.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sosso said:

They could easily replace Black Hole Sun with Bad Obession. It would also be more suitable for Axl's voice.

Honestly, BHS was the highlight for me last year in Prague 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From my perspective, the majority of the people who buy tickets are not the type of fans who go on message boards to discuss the band everyday.  They expect to hear the songs they are familiar with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

Shame, Axl sings it well! 

For my You 're crazy is very similar tone of Mr Brownstone ,but i prefer Mr.i.I love 14 years but i guess Axl not want sing without Izzy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Walapino said:

I wont complain about the setlist but its odd they dont play dont cry AND patience at every gig being both super popular singles, and they play covers like Wichita who nobody knows. they should swap the covers no the hit singles!

I guess that Wichita is more US thing ,no much in other country that nobody know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sosso said:

Most of the people in the audience are casual fans and they wanna hear the bands classics. There's not much room left if you sum up every classic song, cover and solo/instrumental.

this is pure nonsense

there is A LOT of room left IF ONLY THEY WANTED TO play other songs

they can play 10-13 classics every night and rotate 10 "deep(er)" cuts every night

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sosso said:

They could easily replace Black Hole Sun with Bad Obession. It would also be more suitable for Axl's voice.

 

I like Bad obsession too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ratam said:

For my You 're crazy is very similar tone of Mr Brownstone ,but i prefer Mr.i.I love 14 years but i guess Axl not want sing without Izzy.

Axl better not sing 14 years without Izzy. That won’t be cool. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, It’s So Easy said:

Axl better not sing 14 years without Izzy. That won’t be cool. 

This is't i refered , he not sing 14 years because he always sing this song with Izzy, i remember  Izzy was the first vocal in 14 years and Axl as support of Izzy ,but is a beautiful song.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×