Is It's So Easy really a better opener than Jungle?

I like the ISE open and the vocal warmup point seems fair.  I would rather save Jungle and Nightrain both for later and use along with possibly Michelle to break up the second half drag some. Maybe OTGM could be an alt opener (ignoring the warmup arguement).

1 hour ago, dcon said:

I like the ISE open and the vocal warmup point seems fair.  I would rather save Jungle and Nightrain both for later and use along with possibly Michelle to break up the second half drag some. Maybe OTGM could be an alt opener (ignoring the warmup arguement).

OTGM into Jungle is amazing, there's a video from like '86 when they do it. And Axl's way more consistent on OTGM than most tracks... it's workable.

• Like 1

Wow, a great thread - I was always thinking about it. And indeed I have doubts about ISO as a perfect opener. At least its kinda bored me at this stage of the tour. 

Jungle is not a best choice - it matches conceptually, but the crowd simply is only warming-up, so for a better effect it should be played later - # 4 is perfect I suppose - teased by waiting, warmed-up by previous songs. 

For me perfect opener is CD - it has a memorable and a long enough opening riff, from low to high pitches and a good opening lyrics "moment" for Axl to show up in a cool fashion. 

Is there a thread for a whole set? Always wanted to share my ideas with shaking it up. 

Maybe I've watched Tokyo 92 too many times?? But I love Jungle in the middle... it's kind of like..  u don't know when it's coming, that's the best part of Axl screaming do you know where the fuck you are????

its the surprise element 

and that's why Jungle works better in the middle of the set! It's their holy grail for casual fans as well as SCOM. 

ISE, nightrain, are great openers imo 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tadsy said:

Maybe I've watched Tokyo 92 too many times?? But I love Jungle in the middle... it's kind of like..  u don't know when it's coming, that's the best part of Axl screaming do you know where the fuck you are????

its the surprise element 

and that's why Jungle works better in the middle of the set! It's their holy grail for casual fans as well as SCOM. 

ISE, nightrain, are great openers imo 

Agreed. WWTJ should be mid-set, even 2/3rd... 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

I'm gonna suggest something really weird, but I'd just like to think beyond the usual "how rock shows are suppposed to start" thing for a moment.

THIS I LOVE

Lights out, spotlight on the piano, Axl coming out alone, sitting down at the piano and then the band joins in one by one - applause after applause after applause. What a way to open a show!

Given how much he struggles (vocally or emotionally doesn't matter) with this song yet wanting to have it in there every night, they might as well get it out of the way, catch everyone off guard and milk the song to the maximum effect of its emotional and dramatic impact. It is a great song, but it gets kinda buried in the middle of the set. And it's not like they don't have plenty of rockers to follow.

Not gonna happen though, I know. :lol:

• Haha 1