the eating stuff thread

wasted

14 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I wish I lived next door to soon, he strikes me as the coolest neighbour imaginable, nice cooked nosh and weed and beer and shit, I'd forever be knocking on his door like 'hey, hi, how are you...is that weed I smell?' :D

I trust then that you possess the good sense to arrive with a charcuterie board? Or at least some baklava. BYOB.... actually bring my own booze too! :lol:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, soon said:

I trust then that you possess the good sense to arrive with a charcuterie board? Or at least some baklava. BYOB.... actually bring my own booze too! :lol:

Booze, charlie, skunk, E's, either of these I've been known to turn up with...as far as the charcuterie you're on your own there fella, I'm not sure i know what one is.  Something to do with cheese innit?

8 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Booze, charlie, skunk, E's, either of these I've been known to turn up with...as far as the charcuterie you're on your own there fella, I'm not sure i know what one is.  Something to do with cheese innit?

Yeah, charcuterie is a specialization in meat prep but I think most people mean a meat and cheese platter with nuts, pickles, mustard and other dips. Just bring some Stilton, then. Beer, skunk Stilton and evangelism. We'd be legends.

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

I wish I lived next door to soon, he strikes me as the coolest neighbour imaginable, nice cooked nosh and weed and beer and shit, I'd forever be knocking on his door like 'hey, hi, how are you...is that weed I smell?' :D

Soon's one of the absolute best posters on here. Bit Jeebus'y but a class act nonetheless. 

I passed a Vegan fast food place in the Toon tonight. That'll twist some Geordie stereotypes among the British members here.

And no, I didn't go in. Had beef, ginger and spring onions from the (to use the colloquial) chinky's waiting at home. 

21 minutes ago, Lio said:

Oh, is that a ploughman's lunch maybe? I've come across it in books and I never really knew what it was.

They'd probably be cheese. A Ploughman's is basically a selection of cured meats (as in picture), cheese, and usually some grapes and olives, all laid on a platter and served with bread. I suspect it is one of those rustic farmer's dishes that the middle classes appropriated and Frenchified for wife swapping parties haha. 

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

They'd probably be cheese. A Ploughman's is basically a selection of cured meats (as in picture), cheese, and usually some grapes and olives, all laid on a platter and served with bread. I suspect it is one of those rustic farmer's dishes that the middle classes appropriated and Frenchified for wife swapping parties haha. 

Thank you. We use charcuterie too as in what we put on a sandwich. So you could go to a deli or grocery store and get charcuterie, which is meat we'd put on bread. So it's not always a platter of it. It's just the word we use for any meat you put on bread. I thought the English expression for that was cold cuts. Charcuterie is a word that is only used in Flemish though, not in Holland. We have lots of French words obviously.

15 hours ago, soon said:

English pub style breaded haddock with horseradish-mayo mixed with ketchup as a faux seafood sauce. With a side of spinach and mushrooms.

No? You don't want to tell me what mushroom you used?

Regarding cured meats. I just bought some cured musk ox for Jul. Can't have Jul without it! :lol:

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

No? You don't want to tell me what mushroom you used?

Regarding cured meats. I just bought some cured musk ox for Jul. Can't have Jul without it! :lol:

For me cheese is more part of the Christmas season. Smoked Gouda, dill-Havarti, baked Brie with toppings and crusted cheese ball. For cured meats, mainly just bacon. 

3 minutes ago, soon said:

For me cheese is more part of the Christmas season. Smoked Gouda, dill-Havarti, baked Brie with toppings and crusted cheese ball. For cured meats, mainly just bacon. 

Eh, okay, thanks for telling me what cheeses you eat. But I was kinda asking about what mushrooms you used :lol:

3 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

What Pubs you been going to?

Come down The Feathers for a Pie N Chips proper food 

I made it at home. Would be very disappointed in those dips and sides at a proper joint like The Feathers. Pie N Chips at The Feather is on the to do list! I try and eat spinach and mushrooms at least once a day. But no, its not  great pairing with breaded fish.

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Eh, okay, thanks for telling me what cheeses you eat. But I was kinda asking about what mushrooms you used :lol:

Oh, and shrimp rings! Forgot to mention that I love a nice shrimp ring over Christmas :lol: