the eating stuff thread

wasted

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You are a cod homosexual.

I have about four Japanese cookbooks and have never heard of this. 

I can't be a cod homosexual without being a cod myself. True fact, I eat fish eggs, too.

But seriously, you should ask your precious fisher buddies to bring you some milt so you can taste it, too.

https://eatsiptrip.10best.com/2018/09/14/the-art-of-eating-fish-sperm-in-japan/

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I can't be a cod homosexual without being a cod myself. True fact, I eat fish eggs, too.

But seriously, you should ask your precious fisher buddies to bring you some milt so you can taste it, too.

https://eatsiptrip.10best.com/2018/09/14/the-art-of-eating-fish-sperm-in-japan/

Did you not eat sukiyaki or yakisoba or was it all these little plates of sperm?

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Did you not eat sukiyaki or yakisoba or was it all these little plates of sperm?

I can't remember all I ate. We had ramen one day, ate at various izikaya restaurants in an evening, at a sushi place, and at this more high-end cuisine place with the milt.

I did eat hot pot in Taiwan a couple of days later, though, which I suppose is more similar to sukiyaki. And plenty of noodles.

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Shirako, ''white children'' (shira white, ko children).

I doubt even most Japanese have eaten this in their life time. It is really like a foie gras/cavier thing.

I have no idea, but everybody around my table knew it and had eaten it before. 

As for foie gras, that's the monkfish liver. Really spectacular. And caviar (although not sturgeon) is common on sushi, nothing fancy about it. 

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I have no idea, but everybody around my table knew it and had eaten it before. 

As for foie gras, that's the monkfish liver. Really spectacular. And caviar (although not sturgeon) is common on sushi, nothing fancy about it. 

I'm not necessarily being specific to Japan but caviar is almost certainly considered a luxury in Europe, Beluga. 

11 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Speaking of odd fish foods, I want to try the cockney delicacy of jellied eels, pie and mash. I think I'll need some liquor inside of me to tackle that!

All this fish liquids talk reminded me, I wanted to ask you something. Im curious to explore cooking with fish sauce and oyster sauce. They kinda intimidate me as a cook, because I know Ive had food containing them but I wouldnt be able to identify their own flavour and what they bring to a dish. And I think they have a shorter shelf life? So what would be some good dishes to start easy with? Not trying to trouble you for recipes (although welcome), just if you can point me in the direction of some dishes to look up? 

Just now, soon said:

All this fish liquids talk reminded me, I wanted to ask you something. Im curious to explore cooking with fish sauce and oyster sauce. They kinda intimidate me as a cook, because I know Ive had food containing them but I wouldnt be able to identify their own flavour and what they bring to a dish. And I think they have a shorter shelf life? So what would be some good dishes to start easy with? Not trying to trouble you for recipes (although welcome), just if you can point me in the direction of some dishes to look up? 

They are two quite different things. Chinese oyster sauce is really idiot proof. It can be used virtually like a condiment. Easiest recipe is to simply add some to some instant chicken noodles (ramen), about a table spoon. It lasts for months in a fridge. 

Fish sauce is mostly used in Thai cuisine. It needs to be used carefully. It smells horrendously bad when you open the bottle but magically transforms recipes. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

I don't think I could eat that to be honest I'm no good with insides and organs etc. What is the taste like if you could compare it to something?

You eat caviar? It is quite similar. I will just poach it in salty water, then remove everything except the roe inside. It is a delicate taste, salty and slightly fishy.