the eating stuff thread

wasted

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had a Chinese takeaway in years but I had a menu posted through the door and i like to treat us every now and again to keep the morale up. So we've ordered special fried rice, barbecued spare ribs and chicken in black pepper sauce.

I know there will be far to much food so I'm planning on bringing some leftovers to work tomorrow.

• Like 1

Fried pickles with mustard 

Dark roast coffee and tuna salad sandwiches. (Which is a terrible combo when encouraging face to face conversations and laughter. Making matters worse "Hosanna" is pronounced with all outward breathes. Stinky, stinky breath. We need a new hospitality lead at church!!)

Pork nuggets with smoked paprika aioli dip and pickles. Been thinking of pickles a lot. They are fantastic.

BLT on cheese bun

It was a strange craving, fried pickles and mustard. It was sweet pickles and hot mustard so it worked well enough.

I love horseradish!!!! A nice perennial to grow too. It has huge edible leaves that smell and taste of horseradish that can be harvested all season long. Its easy to make and store prepared horseradish and you can control the heat level.

3 hours ago, Dazey said:

Looks amazing but you lost me at rhubarb. :lol:

I liked the post because it looks great but on reflection I don't think ive ever actually tasted rhubarb so no idea whether I would like it or not. I've had rhubarb and custard sweets when I was a kid but that probably doesn't help 😄

17 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

I liked the post because it looks great but on reflection I don't think ive ever actually tasted rhubarb so no idea whether I would like it or not. I've had rhubarb and custard sweets when I was a kid but that probably doesn't help 😄

Rhubarb is the mutt's nuts. Grown best in Yorkshire from mid spring to mid summer. Whenever I visit London, I always bring some for my pals. 

11 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Fucking hell Ramsey!

I just had a big mac and chips for dinner

I dont think Ive ever had a Big Mac, but I crave them a lot lately. Went into a little McD's downtown and had no clue how to order - its so different then last I was there. With computer kiosks and a winding lineup. So, I just bailed. :lol:

1 hour ago, lukepowell1988 said:

So last night I had a chicken Kashmir from the local curry house never had it before so gave it a go.

Turns out fruit works pretty well in a curry

Just look at him in The Rocky Horror Picture Show after all. :lol: 

• Haha 2

Made a combination pizza on the pizza stone for breakfast.

Made a pan pizza in the cast iron with loads of butter for lunch. First pan pizza attempt. Aced it!!

This was unplanned. I made two separate pizzas today :facepalm::headbang::lol::axl:

Edited by soon
  • GNFNR 1

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

@soon please tell me more about breakfast pizza. 

It was more-less a regular pizza for breakfast. I hadnt heard the name "combination" until I moved to where I live now, so I dont know if its used in your shire. Its pepperoni, mushroom and green pepper (plus mine had red onion as well). And now that I think about it pork, green pepper, mushroom and onion is what makes a 'western omelette' and along with potato would make a breakfast hash. So the combination pizza is actually kinda a breakfast pizza after all!

Sauce is paste, olive oil, lots of crushed garlic, dried basil, dried oregano, salt. Raw. Refrigerated at least one day before use. Some parm and salt after its cooked.

I pushed the fermention over 48 hrs. Some funky dough!! And then I've learned this dough likes a night in the fridge after fermentation too. Best crust ever!! Im blanking on my pizza terminology but the bubbles within and on top of crust were nice and big. And nice browning too.

I used a terra cotta pizza stone. I dust it with my homegrown cornmeal and when it hits the hot stone there is a popcorn smell thats a nice bonus.

That pie also proved that the ingredients, save the mushrooms, all stand to freezing. I made frozen pizza-making kits a while ago. One green pepper and one onion make a lot of 10inch pizzas, along with I can buy sliced pepperoni in bulk for a huge discount. And load up on cheese during rock bottom price sales, which freezes well when shredded. So I measured them all out per pie and froze them along with cubes of the sauce. While the veg feels different thawed out, to me it tastes identical and ha the exact same texture once cooked. So I was happy to learn that this system can work. Easy and way cheaper. The dough stands freezing well too.

Crust and sauce is based off of Gemma Staffords. I also add double salt to the dough.

Spoiler

This series on perfect pizza just wrapped. I watched it all and learned lots. I even picked up a tin of anchovy to give it a try. The first episode if youre interested:

And I just ranted my way into starting another dough!! 

Have you made any pizzas lately?

• 1 month later...