the eating stuff thread

wasted

17 minutes ago, soon said:

Nice. I looked at pictures of York and can't tell if York is more bourgey or working class - making NYC a perfect namesake. I think you are describing a good and honest basic, well cooked burger - none of that stunt burger stuff that Burger Brothers seems to get into?

If so, Im about that too.

Tourist city really on account of the history - Gracie is who you should be talking to as she live there.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Right! 

20190913.jpg

The mushrooms are mostly yellowfoot and sweet tooth. 

I don’t know those mushrooms but they look great. Leg of lamb looks delectable. Look at that colouring :drool:

wait, why are you already sautéing your mushrooms before the meat is resting? I guess the mushrooms will be incorporated into a sauce using the drippings?

43 minutes ago, soon said:

I don’t know those mushrooms but they look great. Leg of lamb looks delectable. Look at that colouring :drool:

wait, why are you already sautéing your mushrooms before the meat is resting? I guess the mushrooms will be incorporated into a sauce using the drippings?

Well, that was my original intention, either in a stew or a sauce, but then I decided to just season the mushrooms and serve them as they are. Yellow foot look like really nice after being sauteed. So I just re-heated them before serving.

The meat was slow-cooked since yesterday. I inserted pieces of garlic into the skin and flavored with traditional lamp spices (rosemary, thyme, ++) before putting it in the oven. Then there was kale and brussels sprout fried together with bacon bits in the same pan as I fried the mushrooms, and mashed potatoes with plenty of butter, cream, garlic and lamb stock. Also a plain salad as a more healthy option for some of the guests.

And I bought new red wine glasses yesterday, you can have half a bottle in each :lol: So I don't need to refill constantly.

• GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, cineater said:

What's the recipe for that?

Cinnamon sugar on toast.  So simple and good.  Bet you don't see that on any menu.

I should have used a recipe. I watch too much food network shows and just felt like I had the gist of it - whether I be right or wrong! :lol:

This is what I did, though.

Ahead of cook:

- Cooked marinated pork loin in crock pot (nothing fancy - I forget what I marinated it in, maybe dry herbs and spices with some garlic cloves shoved into the loin)

- Pulled the cooked pork into chunks and froze some in its own drippings (I added some water and salt to the drippings)

To prepare meal:

- Cooked fettucinni noodles in salted water, strained and set aside (keep a touch of the boil water on the noodles)

- I added halved walnut slices into a cool pan

- Turned up pan to medium heat on the stove top and toasted walnuts briefly 

- Added butter to pan and continued cooking the now coated walnuts, 'stirring' constantly (only enough butter to thinly coat the final dish, accounting for some evaporation) 

- when butter was looking a bit dark I turned up to medium-high heat

- Add fresh sage leaves, toss all together

- Wait until butter is brown

- add thawed pork, salt and pepper and cooked noodles with drop of reserved water. toss together

- Just long enough to heat through and combine with out burning the butter - just a few stirs

- I plated with tongs so that there wouldnt be too much extra butter sauce on the plate.

Edited by soon

59 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Cannot look past a doner kebab really. Lots of garlic sauce. 

I live in a doner kebab paradise :headbang: Doners, donairs, shwarma, gyros - all that is one to perfection here!

Garlic sauce and/or tatziki is where its at :drool:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I just had some now! Leftovers.

Yes would be the answer. 

My favourite is to make a chip butty using pizza for the bread top and bottom and smothered in garlic sauce. *drools*

13 hours ago, Dazey said:

@soon

Here's another one for your bucketlist. :lol: 

The fat guy with all the shit in his face is my mate's brother. :lol: 

Well, your mates brother is my hero. Here I am not being a parmo hunter and its got me wondering what else Im getting wrong in life :lol: I was all in until the "chocolate and cheese" (theres a Ween album of the same name). Thats the kind of concoction that gives one the fevered dreams and backs you up for days!!

See this is just the sort of thing I associate with English cuisine - Im putting the classic on my list for sure :headbang::lol:

Edited by soon