Frank / richard / melissa ain't too bad

action

ok, before you all call me crazy let me preface that Steven is my favorite drummer in GNR and franks is far from being the best, but I was listening to this werchter 2017 bootleg that surfaced earlier, which I attended, and hearing it again it made me realise frank's drum sound is very awesome. he may not always have the right timing / speed / swing that other drummers had, but man is it an epic drum sound, totally fitting the current GNR lineup.

richard's sound is so fucking badass.

as for melissa, she adds really menacing, doom-metal, great sound scapes to fill in some gaps in songs.

In short, I can certainly feel what this new version of GNR is about. I'm proud of them.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, action said:

he may not always have the right timing / speed / swing that other drummers had, but man is it an epic drum sound, totally fitting the current GNR lineup.

If he did people would say he’s trying to be like Steven just like they also say Richard is trying to copy Izzy. They’ll never win. 

Them 3 get a lot of undeserved shit.

Edited by It’s So Easy
Clarification
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, action said:

ok, before you all call me crazy let me preface that Steven is my favorite drummer in GNR and franks is far from being the best, but I was listening to this werchter 2017 bootleg that surfaced earlier, which I attended, and hearing it again it made me realise frank's drum sound is very awesome. he may not always have the right timing / speed / swing that other drummers had, but man is it an epic drum sound, totally fitting the current GNR lineup.

richard's sound is so fucking badass.

as for melissa, she adds really menacing, doom-metal, great sound scapes to fill in some gaps in songs.

In short, I can certainly feel what this new version of GNR is about. I'm proud of them.

You have any good yt links to melissas sounds on guns shows? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 21.6.2018 at 4:42 AM, sousadias said:

Her keyboard can be heard on the soundboard audio of Mr. Brownstone from the Apollo Theater show (listen with headphones).

What does the adds with the keyboard? I can just hear the guitars and the bass and the drums. 

Edited by Sosso

Im fairly sure I hear her doubling Slash in the main riff. Mixed slightly to the right of Slash. Its a similar enough tone to Slash, but it has some reference to Pitmans sound in YCBM intro (to my ears), and most notably it doesnt have the wah at the very beginning of Slashs part (or not nearly as much as Slash at least).

And if it makes sense to describe the verse riff this way: da da da ba-ba, da da da ba-ba. Then there might be a kinda old school casio synth horns playing chords along to the "ba-ba" part only, for emphasis?

And during the verse riff, just to the right of Fortus in the mix I might be hearing an almost 'piano' sound playing diads along to the Izzy part of verse?

I think there is a pad along to "We been dancing..." section of chorus?

Edited by soon

18 minutes ago, soon said:

Im fairly sure I hear her doubling Slash in the main riff. Mixed slightly to the right of Slash. Its a similar enough tone to Slash, but it has some reference to Pitmans sound in YCBM intro (to my ears), and most notably it doesnt have the wah at the very beginning of Slashs part (or not nearly as much as Slash at least).

And if it makes sense to describe the verse riff this way: da da da ba-ba, da da da ba-ba. Then there might be a kinda old school casio synth horns playing chords along to the "ba-ba" part only, for emphasis?

And during the verse riff, just to the right of Fortus in the mix I might be hearing an almost 'piano' sound playing diads along to the Izzy part of verse?

I think there is a pad along to "We been dancing..." section of chorus?

I just realized that I have to learn a lot more about synthesizers than I thought. I know that you can create every sound you want with them, but the role of the second keyboardist was always very mysterious in the history of GN'R.

9 minutes ago, Sosso said:

I just realized that I have to learn a lot more about synthesizers than I thought. I know that you can create every sound you want with them, but the role of the second keyboardist was always very mysterious in the history of GN'R.

Oh, dont go by me! Im only pretty confident about her doubling Slash in intro and main riff.

Thickening up the mix by doing that type of thing is some what common for certain bands. But she does other stuff here and there - which Ive only heard in the Apollo show - like in Sorry.

I think there is some neat Mellisa synth at the very end of the studio and live version of SOYL, but I wouldn't dare bet on it.:smiley-confused2:

Edited by soon

• 1 month later...

Fortus is as suitable a replacement as Gilby was.  So, if Izzy ain't there, then fine. 

Frank stinks in my opinion.  He is not as good as Matt Sorum and he plays the AFD songs at the wrong tempo.  Wish they would have gone with an Adler/Sorum combo and of course Izzy. 

Don't give a crap about any synth player, be it Melissa or the guy on the Illusion tour.  As if Dizzy needs help playing when on the bongos.

• 2 months later...
On 6/20/2018 at 5:08 PM, themadcaplaughs said:

I like all three. While I can understand valid criticisms of their roles and fit in the band, but it seems like hating them represents a huge waste of time and energy/

This 100%. I can understand legitimate problems with Frank or Richard, but they certainly do not detract for me. Bitching about Axl's security blanket of having a second keyboardist is just a waste of time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 31.8.2018 at 6:57 AM, BadApples87 said:

As if Dizzy needs help playing when on the bongos.

There is a certain devision of labour among the two keyboardists. Dizzy is mainly playing the piano and the organ and Teddy/Chris/Melissa are mainly playing the synths and other additional stuff. 

Edited by Sosso