Films you feel get an unfair rap

What are films you feel are unfairly maligned?

I'll give you two I feel get a bum rap:

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Nowhere near as good as the first three films obviously, but not an abortion either. It's an enjoyable B movie romp, no more, no less. I find it much more enjoyable than the SW prequels.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Poor pacing is the film's downfall but I feel it is one of a very few films from the original cast movie series to actually capture the feel of the TV series. There is an epic 2001 style film beneath the poor pacing.

• Like 1

All the Halloweens and Friday the 13th movies and of course A Nightmare on elm Street. Most of the horror movies always get bad reviews, but I love them anyway.

Most of the movies the credits don't like are my favorites. lol

20 hours ago, EvanG said:

Showgirls.

lol oh this movie deserved to be panned. lol Such terrible acting. I can't believe Jessie from Saved by the bell did this movie. OMG! lol

21 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Eyes Wide Shut immediately springs to mind.

Another shit movie. Even the nudity didn't help this movie at all. it did show how Tom and Nicole had no chemistry at all.

I guess Tom doesn't do nude scenes either. Too bad maybe it would have made it more interesting.

1 minute ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

lol oh this movie deserved to be panned. lol Such terrible acting. I can't believe Jessie from Saved by the bell did this movie. OMG! lol

It's a satire on American society. Sure, it's not Verhoeven's best film, maybe even his worst, but it's not as bad as some make it out to be. 

Plus, lots of titties!

Showgirls is a godamn delight. If you can’t appreciate modern cinema’s finest exploitation director ostensibly remaking All About Eve in the most perverse way a studio in 1995 would allow,  I weep for you. 

A decent take on it - 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/film.avclub.com/the-new-cult-canon-showgirls-1798214503/amp

Edited by Angelica
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Angelica said:

Showgirls is a godamn delight. If you can’t appreciate modern cinema’s finest exploitation director ostensibly remaking All About Eve in the most perverse way a studio in 1995 would allow,  I weep for you. 

A decent take on it - 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/film.avclub.com/the-new-cult-canon-showgirls-1798214503/amp

The fact that it stars the prude from Save by the Bell made it more of a delight to watch. Destroyed her career, but worth it.

2 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

The fact that it stars the prude from Save by the Bell made it more of a delight to watch. Destroyed her career, but worth it.

I went to a screening of it in NY a couple of years ago where Verhoeven was interviewed. He basically admitted to the fact that Berkley wasn’t in on the joke because he actively mislead her as to the way her performance was playing and the actual tone he was going for. The movie is enhanced by how batshit she is, it wouldn’t work if she was as tongue in cheek as everyone else, but they hung her out to dry when it was released. 

I agree with Kingdom of the Crystal Skull... it was a bit silly sometimes, but it was fine.

Also Jaws 2 tends to get lumped in with the two abominations that came after it, but it was probably about as respectable a sequel as they could have made.

Eyes Wide Shut is a good call. Kubrick was a fantastic film maker.

I like Alien 3 as well. It's different and not supposed to be either Alien or Aliens. The entire franshise after that? Nah.

Once Upon A time In America my favorite ever film too. Barry Lyndon was a similar situation, but from what I read it was only American critics that slated it at the time. Think the original theatrical US release of Once Upon A time In America was 130 minutes or something shorther than the original European version.

Edited by AtariLegend

Two of my favorite action movies of all time, The Last Boy Scout and Striking Distance. The former has a dim view as just being a Lethal Weapon clone, and the latter is totally overlooked but imo make for very enjoyable films and both star Bruce Willis.

Edited by Fashionista

On ‎26‎.‎06‎.‎2018 at 6:13 PM, Wagszilla said:

Zodiac

Jackie Brown

The Insider

I'm not trying to go full hipster but Kubrick's best movies are underrated while his worst are way, way overrated.

I'll take Paths of Glory, The Killing, and Full Metal Jacket over the rest.

I have a buddy who hates Eyes Wide Shut. I noticed his taste in films couldn't be trusted after such a comment. 

That's actually my favourite film from Quentin Tarantino :headbang: