Why was Tokyo 1992 Chosen for the DVD?

33 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

The show could have been much better if the audio mix was better. Bad bass mix, compressed as all hell, not just the dynamic range, but also the bitrate. Even the laserdisc audio is just terrible. I wish it would have had the mix that the LALD Wembley ‘91 single audio had, or maybe how Oklahoma ‘92 is, even if you can’t always hear the rhythm guitar

Well, rhythm guitar is also muted in some songs from Tokyo like Welcome to the Jungle or Civil War

4 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

The show could have been much better if the audio mix was better. Bad bass mix, compressed as all hell, not just the dynamic range, but also the bitrate. Even the laserdisc audio is just terrible. I wish it would have had the mix that the LALD Wembley ‘91 single audio had, or maybe how Oklahoma ‘92 is, even if you can’t always hear the rhythm guitar

Thankfully the Live Era tracks are far superior

48 minutes ago, Setzer said:

Thankfully the Live Era tracks are far superior

Although Live Era suffers unfortunately from sooo much compression in the mastering stage, there is a ton of clipping throughout the album

12 hours ago, zigzagbigbag said:

I cannot understand why everybody is screaming for an official Ritz release?! We already got that show for years. 

By far more I want something which hasnt never been seen by anyone of us instead of something which everyone has seen a million times, even if the quality would be a little bit better. 

I don't want Paris 92, Ritz 88 or any other of the shows of which pro shots are circulating for years. Give me Ritz 91, Wembley 91 or whatever. Otherwise it would be the same as with the AFD demo songs everybody complains about. 

Don't get me wrong, I would rather have something we all haven't seen before as well. I was just stating that all these years later, Tokyo 1992 is the only release we have, when there is so much material.

On 6/21/2018 at 2:57 AM, Nikki_Sixx said:

All three Tokyo '92 shows were filmed by a Japanese film crew, for a possible vhs release in Japan.  There were problems (of a practical nature, staging etc.) during the first two nights, so the third night was chosen.  Eventually, it was released world wide.

In my opinion, all three shows count as some of the best of the whole UYI Tour.   Pretty long shows (3+ hours), great cross-section of all the material featured on the UYI tour, in line with the high standard of the late '91, early '92 North American shows.  In fact, these were some of the last of the really epic UYI Tour shows.  Pretty soon, a lot of these songs would fall by the wayside, in some cases never to return : 'Pretty Tied Up', 'Move To The City', 'Rocket Queen', 'Estranged', 'Locomotive', 'Coma', ...  Pretty soon, and for (basically) the rest of the '92 run, they would revert to a boring, standard, static setlist :

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/guns-n-roses/1992/stadio-delle-alpi-turin-italy-1bd61924.html

By June '93, they were playing sets under 2 hours ... :shrugs:

are the other 2 Japan pro-shots out there?

3 hours ago, 80309561 said:

really????  where is paris 1992 oh wait its not here

All you need to find and download the Paris 92 bootleg is a browser and the rudimentary knowledge of how to use it. Given that you're here, you fulfill both criterias. Congratulations! 

Edited by Waemoth

14 minutes ago, Waemoth said:

All you need to find and download the Paris 92 bootleg is a browser and the rudimentary knowledge of how to use it. Given that you're here, you fulfill both criterias. Congratulations! 

no its blocked by GNR and can't be download it so its not here not interested some blurry 240p youtube video

Edited by 80309561

15 minutes ago, 80309561 said:

no its blocked by label and can't be download it so its not here not interested some blurry 240p youtube video

Never mind on the "know how to use a browser" part then. It's up there for a fact. Given the fact that I prefer that to remain the case, no link. 

Your loss on the "not here,  not interested philosophy". 

Cheers. 

Edited by Waemoth

31 minutes ago, stanleyjp said:

I like the Tokyo concert. In my opinion we get the best versions of Don't Cry and Pretty Tied Up there. 

Though I'd have preferred to have '91 concert to go along with it, Tokyo is probably one of the most all-round concerts they did. Killer YCBM (on par with Saskatoon?), RQ and DC, good setlist and there were no weak performances save for Jungle, to me. Selecting virtually any other concert would have resulted in getting way less good performances in exchange for one or two brilliant ones. 

On 6/21/2018 at 10:59 AM, smiley said:

Wasn't it the show that was broadcast live on PPV? Hence it was already pretty well recorded /edited... easy to release... 

Being GNR, I'm still surprised it actually got released. 

The Paris '92 show was the big live Pay Per View event. It was a much better show and it was the one I was most familiar with because it used to get shown on Much Music all the time. Until the DVD release, the Tokyo shows on VHS were pretty rare as far as I can remember (but I was pretty young...)

I think Tokyo was just a cheap release for the band. I believe it was filmed in Japan by a Japanese crew for Japanese TV, so the band just released it worldwide without much fuss to make an easy buck. Why else would it be released as two separate releases?? Even when it was updated to a DVD release, it's basically just a straight transfer from the VHS.

On 6/24/2018 at 10:44 PM, johnnybebad said:

The Paris '92 show was the big live Pay Per View event. It was a much better show and it was the one I was most familiar with because it used to get shown on Much Music all the time. Until the DVD release, the Tokyo shows on VHS were pretty rare as far as I can remember (but I was pretty young...)

I think Tokyo was just a cheap release for the band. I believe it was filmed in Japan by a Japanese crew for Japanese TV, so the band just released it worldwide without much fuss to make an easy buck. Why else would it be released as two separate releases?? Even when it was updated to a DVD release, it's basically just a straight transfer from the VHS.

sorry i couldn't remember ;)

On 25-6-2018 at 4:44 AM, johnnybebad said:

It was released as 2 seperate tapes/releases for 2 reasons :

- vhs can only offer about 90 minutes before there's a drop in quality/longevity of the tape

- it ties in with the 2 seperate releases of UYI I & II