AFD - Both Special Editions (Piece-By-Piece Unboxing)

Sounds like the remaster is living up to expectations. That much is good, and I’m excited to have all the old demo tracks in great quality as well.

I know to most people the album was perfection as it was but I truly do believe the album was due for a remaster. I have what I’d consider a fairly high end stereo setup (for 1994 :lol:) and Appetite was always noticeably thin to me. Usually I’d fine tune my equalizer and get it sounding kickass but now I probably won’t have to do that.

I’m also excited for the 5.1 mix. Some of those crazy overdubs that get lost in the standard stereo mix will probably be clear as day now. It’ll be like listening to the album for the first time all over again. I look forward to discovering new things.

Still overpriced and not what it could have been as far as vault material but who am I kidding - I’ll be cranking it all weekend.

• GNFNR 2

16 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Sounds like the remaster is living up to expectations. That much is good, and I’m excited to have all the old demo tracks in great quality as well.

I know to most people the album was perfection as it was but I truly do believe the album was due for a remaster. I have what I’d consider a fairly high end stereo setup (for 1994 :lol:) and Appetite was always noticeably thin to me. Usually I’d fine tune my equalizer and get it sounding kickass but now I probably won’t have to do that.

I’m also excited for the 5.1 mix. Some of those crazy overdubs that get lost in the standard stereo mix will probably be clear as day now. It’ll be like listening to the album for the first time all over again. I look forward to discovering new things.

Still overpriced and not what it could have been as far as vault material but who am I kidding - I’ll be cranking it all weekend.

I look forward to discovering new things too

I have been a huge fan since 1987 and I have most of these recordings on vinyl/cassette and I honestly can say that these new masters are not much different in quality to the original bootlegs.  I was expecting a huge change in sound quality (crisper, more clear, etc.) but it simply isn't a huge difference in sound quality, period. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kevinb said:

I have been a huge fan since 1987 and I have most of these recordings on vinyl/cassette and I honestly can say that these new masters are not much different in quality to the original bootlegs.  I was expecting a huge change in sound quality (crisper, more clear, etc.) but it simply isn't a huge difference in sound quality, period. 

Are you talking about the original album tracks or the demos?  I agree if you are talking about the album tracks - to me they might have a little more detail in terms of low-end and a little crisper in terms of EQ choices however to my ears they do not sound drastically different at all.  Not bad though, although I want to compare more

In terms of the Sound City demos, they are sooo much better than the bootlegged demos.  A combination of original generation tapes properly transferred and properly mastered, to me there is just no comparison between the great quality of the demos - they blow away any unofficial version of these recordings by far

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

Also, just for information's sake, at least on the download I "discovered" online, the fake-live tracks on GNR lies (Move to the City, Reckless Life, Nice Boys, and Mama Kin( - the channels are versed, presumably (just a guess) so that Slash's guitar is panned right and Izzy panned left to match their normal layout

And Mama Kin is missing the spoken word intro for Mama Kin, it just goes straight into the song

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tourettes2400 said:

I'm not sure if this has been posted or not but you can now make monthly installments on the locked n' loaded box, if you are interested:lol: I can see why people would need the option, but if they weren't charging so much, people wouldn't need to do this.

https://gnrmerch.com/products/appetite-for-destruction-locked-n-loaded-box-set

Screenshot_20180628-073557_Chrome.thumb.jpg.780300d0b5f310d2437f8f2b78ff2b5b.jpg

Only available for Americans 

14 hours ago, kevinb said:

Then you must've had fantastic quality bootlegs because these are night and day better than the numerous boots I have.

• GNFNR 1

Super Deluxe box set from Amazon for $138.  Fucking dig it!  Sure most of the stuff I've seen and heard before, but not all of it and not this quality.  If you love Guns then no reason not to dish out less than an $150 for it.  Getting it on day of release is great also.

- Love pages 32-34 reading about Appetite songs for each track with comments from whole band.

- Really digging 'You're Crazy (Acoustic Version)' on CD 4.  Like the distortion on Axl's mic.  Just feels like a countryish 70's song this way.  No cursing, but I can get over that.

- Liked the groove of 'New Work Tune'.  Wished they would have done something with it.

- Overall quality of recordings on CD's.  Remastered 'Heartbreak Hotel' my favorite of all the songs I've heard shittier versions of before.

- Thinking of getting some of the 2 page pictures professionally copied for lesser seen and much cooler posters for my jam room (definitely the 1st one at begining of book).  Uzi Sucide Logo, Welcome to Jungle pic I assume was drawn by Slash and seen on Axl's T-shirt would be cool to get Lithos made or T-shirt made from.

Seriously I actually like it.  And not because I'm trying to make myself feel better for spending over a $100 for it.  Would have had to do that for the 1K box set, but for Super Deluxe version I'm more than satisfied.

• Like 2