AFD - Both Special Editions (Piece-By-Piece Unboxing)

2 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I can't believe there isn't a Vinyl version of this. I'd totally have bought this if those were records and not CDs. Refuse to pay a grand for that locked n loaded box just to get vinyls. 

Seems like a wasted opportunity to me. Does anybody even buy CDs any more? 

This. If I want to listen to AFD at home, I'm using my record player. If I want to listen to it while driving or at work or something, it's on my ipod. I can only think of 1 CD I've bought in the last few years, and that's only because the album wasn't pressed on vinyl.

I did get the remastered 2LP AFD for $30, but over $100 for temp tattoos, folded posters and a few CDs? Fuck right off! :lol: I'll be downloading all the music once it's on torrent sites anyway, I've given this band enough money over the last couple years.

• Like 1

I wouldn't expect the remaster to sound any better than the original CD. It'll be louder and more compressed, although if you wanted it louder you could just turn the original CD up and have a better overall listening experience. 

16 minutes ago, Carburetta said:

Potentially a Luddite question here but how are you supposed to listen to a Blu-ray audio, via your tv? (And what ever audio equipment you have hooked up to it I suppose)

your surround home system and stereo and just use tv a GUI or those popular surround sound bars now days

5 minutes ago, 31illusions said:

Izzy

Didn’t know he had a tattoo that had ‘Guns N’ Roses’ on it, genuinely interested and surprised by that. Makes it sadder in a way that he’s not part of the reunion, the band clearly meant a lot to him at one point.

1 minute ago, 80309561 said:

your surround home system and stereo and just use tv a GUI or those popular surround sound bars now days

Thanks for that, makes sense.

One of the things I love about Guns N’ Roses is how much the band meant to their original members. I guess most bands are like that in a way, but I feel it more from those guys. I think Axl would have given his left foot over this band at one point.

Axl: “it’s like a dream band”

It’s like their it’s biggest fans.

Edited by Carburetta
  • Like 1

I might be the only one who paid attention to these things but.. the way that guy turned the books pages was annoying and how much his hands were shaking. 

More on topic: It’s a neat set. Worth $180 to me? No. I’d been more inclined to get if it included the 12 song lithographs as well. But a big factor is the fact they built the CD holders into the book. I honestly thought we’d come far enough in this day and age to know that’s a no no. Especially considering it mangles blu-rays since it’s easy for dust to get in and every time you slide in and out it scratches. Those CDs are fucked.

• Like 1

I liked the poster, and the blue ray, but to be honest, I'm not gonna be using the poster. That's good for teenagers. I'm 33, I'm not gonna have posters of bands on my walls.

So if I wanna be truly honest, The remaster itself with the second disc would be enough for me. The only thing is that the 2nd cd is only a compilation of the rest of the songs, so it doesn't have them all, and I wanna have the songs on CD, so I'm kinda undecided which version to buy.

If I should buy the 2 disc or the deluxe edition. Both versions have OK prices I guess.

I couldn't care less about the tickets copies, the poster or even the book itself, but I wanna have all the cds with all the songs.

The other thing is, I don't think collectibles like this should be announced that early (2 months earlier to the release, 1 month and a half). The long wait will make the fans uninterested and not act during that hype moment. 

I think they should have only announced it like 15 days earlier to the release date, or even 20 days earlier. That way people would be hyped up about it when it got released. I think that's one of the biggest problems in the music business. It happens with other bands too, when singles get released like 2 or 3 months before the album is supposed to come out. It wears out the fanbase and takes all the hype away, and in my view a lot of people give up on buying the product during the process.

Edited by Propaganda
  • Like 2

The original master is so good that I do not understand why anyone would be eager to buy this. I'd understand it if Appetite was one of those duff (no pun intended) old compact disc masters like the earliest classic Sabbath compact discs , which sounded absolutely horrendous, but, whether you currently own Appetite on vinyl or compact disc, you know you have a premium sounding version of this album already in your collection!

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The original master is so good that I do not understand why anyone would be eager to buy this. I'd understand it if Appetite was one of those duff (no pun intended) old compact disc masters like the earliest classic Sabbath compact discs , which sounded absolutely horrendous, but, whether you currently own Appetite on vinyl or compact disc, you know you have a premium sounding version of this album already in your collection!

Yeah, I feel remastering isn't about sound quality anymore. It's very much just the cool thing to do and most albums sound worse after a modern remaster. 

• Like 1

The first video promo for the box had given the impression that all the pictures in the book are from Axl's archive. It turns out that only some (5 maybe? LOL) of them are from Axl's archive and the rest are known pictures that have been around for years.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

This. There are many reasons AFD is still widely regarded as one of the best albums of all time after all these years - the production/sound /mastering is one of them and it's all about dynamics. A brickwalled AFD is like the Mona Lisa curated in neon colors.

Edited by adamsapple

For me the book is interesting. But if I were to get it it’d be a while from now. I’m thinking <$90 then after I did that I’d pull the 4CDs and blu from the set and make new cases. More than likely get a 5 disc Blu-ray cass and maybe slap together art for it. The art prints are neat since I collect lithos. Temp tattoos, tickets to shows I didn’t go to and a replica flyer mean nothing to me. That being said I will add I believe they went about this all wrong. I think most would agree this is how it should have been released.

1. AFD Remaster 1 disc + Digital Download of SOYL and MTTC acoustic

2. AFD Remaster + All Disc Demos/Outtakes 

3. AFD Deluxe with Book, 4CDs, Blu, and Vinyl 

4. AFD Locked N’ Loaded Edition 

To me I believe this would have made mostly everyone happy more or less. But who knows I could be wrong. But had they done it this way I would have easily paid $39.99-$49.99 for the second option.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Edward Nigma said:

Wonder if the label mentioned that term 'new music' during the brief discussions.

"New Music.. What Fans want is stuff that's already out there and some music in a box I tell ya"

• Like 1