AFD - Both Special Editions (Piece-By-Piece Unboxing)

8 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I am buying it because I want to support the band. AFD is one of my favorite records, maybe the one that has had the most impact on me. I don't know how much I have spent on that record in my life, not much, one vinyl, a CD or two, but the amount of pleasure I have received is impossible to quantify. So I am giving back. And I do that while agreeing that it is a flawed product. But the record isn't.

Then just treasure your current copy of Appetite then! You paid for it so the band were reimbursed adequately at the time you purchased it. It will still sound terrific. 

Your post makes no sense. Why would anyone feel the need to throw money at these trillionaires?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Then just treasure your current copy of Appetite then! You paid for it so the band were reimbursed adequately at the time you purchased it. It will still sound terrific. 

Your post makes no sense. Why would anyone feel the need to throw money at these trillionaires?

At some level I feel good for giving back after having received so much. I know I don't have to because I don't owe the band anything and they certainly have enough money, this has nothing to do with that.

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Still makes no sense.

Upon originally buying Appetite, the band received a percentage of your purchase and you received your copy of their record to play whenever you want. Is that not fair enough? 

Plus by buying this boxset you are directly funding/supporting Fernando which I simply refuse to do as he's a complete wank stain. 

He quite explicitly said that it isn't about feeling that he owes them money, but that he would like to give something back as, kind of, a token of appreciation? Nothing wrong with that, and it makes complete sense to me. 

1 minute ago, Waemoth said:

He quite explicitly said that it isn't about feeling that he owes them money, but that he would like to give something back as, kind of, a token of appreciation? Nothing wrong with that, and it makes complete sense to me. 

They have squillions. For crying out loud, donate the money to charity in Guns N' Roses's name if you feel you need to chuck more at them. 

Still makes no sense.

Upon originally buying Appetite, the band received a percentage of your purchase and you received your copy of their record to play whenever you want. Is that not fair enough? 

I feel it is more fair that I pay something that is closer to the value it has to me, or at least I feel good for honoring the record by giving back. And in this case I also get something in return that I look forward to (the demo tracks and the book - the rest will likely be thrown away immediately). 

You don't have to understand it - we are all wired differently.

They have squillions. For crying out loud, donate the money to charity in Guns N' Roses's name if you feel you need to chuck more at them. 

This isn't so much about the band as it is about the record. 

33 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I am buying it because I want to support the band. AFD is one of my favorite records, maybe the one that has had the most impact on me. I don't know how much I have spent on that record in my life, not much, one vinyl, a CD or two, but the amount of pleasure I have received is impossible to quantify. So I am giving back. And I do that while agreeing that it is a flawed product. But the record isn't.

AFD if my 4th favorite GN'R album and I've already purchased it plenty of times, so that's where my head is at on it lol.

I've bought Appetite thrice (cassette, compact disc, vinyl) and feel it was a fair exchange on each occasion. I do not feel that I short-changed the band in any way by buying it at the market value (or vice versa). 

Which do you think AFD sounds better on or what release of it do you think sounds the best?

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I feel it is more fair that I pay something that is closer to the value it has to me, or at least I feel good for honoring the record by giving back. And in this case I also get something in return that I look forward to (the demo tracks and the book - the rest will likely be thrown away immediately). 

You don't have to understand it - we are all wired differently.

This isn't so much about the band as it is about the record. 

Donate the money to one of Guns's favourite charities or something presumably they'd favour (Rose likes cats? Something to do with sheltered cats? A snake sanctuary for Slash?) then contact Guns with evidence of your donation with a note saying, ''for all the time loving Appetite'' (or something similar). 

By buying this your are endorsing the way this band are going which is pure Kiss and quite frankly disgusting. 

2 minutes ago, MrMojo said:

Which do you think AFD sounds better on or what release of it do you think sounds the best?

Vinyl will always going to be the best format but the compact disc is an excellent master. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Donate the money to one of Guns's favourite charities or something presumably they'd favour (Rose likes cats? Something to do with sheltered cats? A snake sanctuary for Slash?) then contact Guns with evidence of your donation with a note saying, ''for all the time loving Appetite'' (or something similar). 

By buying this your are endorsing the way this band are going which is pure Kiss and quite frankly disgusting. 

I also support the way the band does thing when I buy concert tickets. I don't care. This is not about how they feel, but how I feel. I feel better for giving back.

17 hours ago, WhazUp said:

How come they couldn't come up with just a 4 CD deluxe version for like $25 bucks or so?  That is exactly what the Prince estate did with the deluxe 3-CD, 1 DVD version of Purple Rain last year - and I would totally purchase that.

But the 2 CD AFD is of no interest because it is intentionally excluding 2 full disks of audio, and all the options that include all 4 CDs are way too expensive.  

The Deluxe of PR is pretty shocking too...The DVD is one of the worst looking live gigs you could ever watch and not JUST for 2017...they didn't clean it up at all...
The only half decent thing about it, was the bonus tracks...Remaster did nothing.

I bought one AFD copy in 1993 and that's all they are getting from me. I won't spend a dime on future releases unless it's new music.

I paid 100 euro for a concert ticket to go see them in two weeks, and I already feel kinda bad about that. But I guess it's worth it just to see Slash for three hours.

In no way that feels like giving back to the band, they better give me back my money's worth during the show in two weeks, or else I will riot.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2018 at 1:34 AM, Tourettes2400 said:

It really shows that someone is very pissed off at Marc. We already know Fernando doesn't like him, from when he came here a few weeks back, but you would think that they would still use some of his photos.

On 6/23/2018 at 1:37 AM, Lio said:

Maybe they tried to work out something and it failed? I'm just guessing, of course, but we know this box got delayed for about a year. It could also explain why Fernando seemed so bitter about Marc.

Did Fernando explain why he dislikes Marc? They should atleast let Slash talk to Canter.

Edited by ChristmasFnatic

On 22.6.2018 at 8:42 PM, DieselDaisy said:

The book is just something you'd flick through in seconds, put away and never reopen again! In contrast Canter's book has a wealth of information.

I have Canter's book, it's fantastic. Thick as f***** :D

• Like 1

23 hours ago, saint_seiya said:

The stuff that Marc has on the reckless road book is priceless. Im sure Axl and co were pissed off that they couldn't make money off of the stuff he has. The dude even has footage of the band working on sweet child o mine as it was being made.

Can someone tell me the source of what this poster claims? (existence of footage of SCOM being made).

Is it stated on the book?

Edited by uruguns

6 minutes ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

Did Fernando explain why he dislikes Marc? They should atleast let Slash talk to Canter.

Might be completely wrong but on chinese whispers or a q and a done here was it not said axl initially backed reckless road but the book got delayed then he didn't back it anymore and marc released it anyway? I'm sure bits are missing, just from what I recall.

15 hours ago, downliner said:

Is the 5.1 version of Appetite only available in this boxset and the L&L boxset? I'm curious to experience that. I've never owned a 5.1 surround system, but years ago a buddy played me The Downward Spiral in 5.1 and I was blown away by how different the experience was compared to just listening to the normal CD :blink: Will be expensive if I need to buy a surround sound system and the Super Deluxe boxset :(

I too am interested in hearing the 5.1 mix. If you ever get chance listen to Dark Side of the Moon in 5.1 - truly epic.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MrMojo said:

Might be completely wrong but on chinese whispers or a q and a done here was it not said axl initially backed reckless road but the book got delayed then he didn't back it anymore and marc released it anyway? I'm sure bits are missing, just from what I recall.

Yes, I think Marc has addressed this. Axl initially backed the book, but had told Marc to release it after the release of CD. Marc said that he couldn't postpone the release of his book any longer and Axl was angry about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, I think Marc has addressed this. Axl initially backed the book, but had told Marc to release it after the release of CD. Marc said that he couldn't postpone the release of his book any longer and Axl was angry about it.

As far as I know isn't that what caused the drift given they were friends? Maybe more happened behind the scenes. I wouldn't know.

2 minutes ago, MrMojo said:

As far as I know isn't that what caused the drift given they were friends? Maybe more happened behind the scenes. I wouldn't know.

Yes, that was the cause of the fallout then. Marc said that Axl saw it as "betrayal".

But I wouldn't know either if it's still about that, considering that Axl has made amends with other people from the past, mainly Slash, of course. Maybe it's because Marc doesn't like TB and has talked about their role, so it's kind of mutual as far as Fernando goes.

Also Doug Goldstein said on @sidman69's podcast that Slash doesn't talk to Marc and the guys on the podcast said that Marc talked to them off the record about that. Who knows what's going on.

47 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

The Deluxe of PR is pretty shocking too...The DVD is one of the worst looking live gigs you could ever watch and not JUST for 2017...they didn't clean it up at all...
The only half decent thing about it, was the bonus tracks...Remaster did nothing.

In fairness to that DVD, the original was only video taped. I don't think there's a ton that could've been done to clean it up. I agree that there wasn't much of a change in sound for the album itself though. 

45 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

An anti rape artwork is still banned, yet those images of tanks aiming at the audience are totally cool or what? Welcome to 2018. Where's that puke emoticon when you need it?

Art should never be censored, but today artists censor themselves. To still not use the cover they really wanted and to omit OIAM from all versions of the re-release as if it never happened speaks volumes about artistic integrity going down the drain for a little more money.

While I agree that art shouldn't be censored, I think they put the cross on the cover of these sets because that's the image most people are familiar with. 

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, that was the cause of the fallout then. Marc said that Axl saw it as "betrayal".

But I wouldn't know either if it's still about that, considering that Axl has made amends with other people from the past, mainly Slash, of course. Maybe it's because Marc doesn't like TB and has talked about their role, so it's kind of mutual as far as Fernando goes.

Also Doug Goldstein said on @sidman69's podcast that Slash doesn't talk to Marc and the guys on the podcast said that Marc talked to them off the record about that. Who knows what's going on.

Hopefully they all reconcile in this lifetime.

• Like 1

I'm genuinely undecided as to whether to buy this or not. I don't like streaming and I enjoy owning physical copies of my favourite artists/bands music. It is a little more expensive than I think it's worth, but GNR so seldom release physical products and the completest in me wants to own it. I purchased the Greatest Hits for the same reasons (and also to own Sympathy For The Devil).

I don't really get the fans who are acting as if they're taking some kind of moral stance against this release, as if AFD LNL underperforming will somehow equate to the band finally deciding to release new music. It won't. The two aren't connected at all. The reality is, they probably make far more off the sale of band T-shirts in a year than they ever will releasing new music, so if you're against the idea of Guns N Roses being this mass corporate brand only concerned with the bottom line then you ought to never wear a GNR band t-shirt again.

Edited by Towelie