AFD - Both Special Editions (Piece-By-Piece Unboxing)

12 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I don't usually quote posts pages upon pages later, but the answer for me is simple: 5.1 audio. AFD in 5.1 is basically a wet dream for me. That said...I can't be assed to buy it now really. Too much money tied up in the Maiden tour this year to justify it right now. I'll wait until my local record store does their annual 40% off sale in October, thank you very much. 

Holy crap! There's still record stores out there? Man I miss the days of them. I think my cell phone bill is higher every month than what I would spend in 6 months at the music store.

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Off topic: Over here in Detroit there are a ton of great record store options:

On topic: I was just in the one I shop the most yesterday. The owner was telling me that their Universal rep came by recently to ask why they haven't had any pre-orders for the Locked & Loaded set. The record store owner said "I told him 'because it's a thousand fucking dollars!'" :lol:

I've seen most of those pictures from the book already.  The Ross Halfin photo shoot was already published in the rock mags so I don't think it is accurate to market the book from the boxset as "full of unreleased photos".  I'm just speaking the truth.

i ordered it from a shop where I'm a timed gold member, so that got me 5% off (145 - 7 euro = 138 euro). I also had 10 euro worth of bonus points on my membership card (138 - 10 euro = 128 euro).

So I got this box for 128 euro.

I think that's a pretty good deal. The box itself looks killer with that appetite cross. the poster is very nice, and so are the band lithos. Add in 4 cd's worth of appetite material, and a Blu ray with a 5.1. mix of the album, and I'd say there are worse ways to spend 128 euro 

https://www.nl.fnac.be/a12135592/Guns-N-Roses-APPETITE-FOR-DESTRUCTION-SUPER-DEL-Cd-album?omnsearchpos=1

Edited by action
  • Like 2

Yeah, I won't buy any of this stuff. I consider myself a hardcore fan, but the content of those boxsets is absolutely not what I'm looking for. 

Granted, they look cool, but I see nothing useful in there. Am I going to use the washable tattoos? Nope. The rings? You got to be kidding. What's the use of ticket replicas exactly? Am I supposed to wipe off my ass with those? Do I care if the book is made out of leather? No, I just want to read something interesting, like say, Axl's autobiography. What's the next step, release a boxset made of gold for $1.000.000? 

I can't justify spending either $180 or $1000 in those boxes if I'm not going to use anything, or not hear anything really new. Also, I kind of hate the "we made this out of real leather" and throw in cheap tattoos. It's really disguising shit in gold. If you want to make a luxury item, then don't include garbage, it's simple.

I remember when Chinese Democracy came out, there were loads of deluxe boxsets everywhere in Paris music shops, and they barely sold. They had to lower the price several times and even when it was sold for $50, I didn't even buy it. They are making the same mistake. Even if Appetite is much more popular. Unless they lower the price a lot.

I would consider spending $180 in a boxset if what we had was something really exclusive and never seen/heard before, or hard to find. I'm sure they have loads of live shows in great quality they could put on blu-rays and make a huge boxset with that. Imagine a boxset with the first shows of 2001 in amazing quality, some unreleased songs... Songs that were supposed to make it on Chinese Democracy 2, the CD remixes... Why didn't they remix Crash Diet like they did with Shadow of your love? Why only Move to the city and SOYL?

I don't understand why they went for something so uninteresting. I'd like to hear new music first and foremost, and Axl's thoughts. That's it really. 

Or even, you know, a nice exclusive t-shirt. Something I could actually use. If anyone's gonna use those dumb looking rings, please send me a picture :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

Holy crap! There's still record stores out there? Man I miss the days of them. I think my cell phone bill is higher every month than what I would spend in 6 months at the music store.

We have a great place near me called "Bull Moose".. I actually bought a Guns Pasadena boot there a couple weeks ago... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Propaganda said:

I was going through my "Appetite for Outtakes" (It's called "Hell Revisited" as well) Bootleg cd, and I just noticed I might have "The Plague" and "New Work Tune" here, and it's just two instrumental.

Yep, that’s them. They were on youtube for a while I don’t know if they’re still there though 

15 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

We have a great place near me called "Bull Moose".. I actually bought a Guns Pasadena boot there a couple weeks ago... 

I love Bull Moose.  I'm in NH a few times a year for business and always try to sneak down to Salem, NH to their store there before I leave.

Their website is good too, although their price is a little above Amazon's: http://www.bullmoose.com/p/27324376/guns-n-roses-appetite-for-destruction--super-deluxe-edition (you might prefer to support them instead of Amazon, of course).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Propaganda said:

I was going through my "Appetite for Outtakes" (It's called "Hell Revisited" as well) Bootleg cd, and I just noticed I might have "The Plague" and "New Work Tune" here, and it's just two instrumental.

There are instrumentals on there but they aren't GN'R. It's some songs worked up by West Arkeen, or Del James back in the hell house days. They have a drum machine? It's not the same songs.

Edited by 31illusions

1 hour ago, 31illusions said:

There are instrumentals on there but they aren't GN'R. It's some songs worked up by West Arkeen, or Del James back in the hell house days. They have a drum machine? It's not the same songs.

What about Nightcrawler demo?  Anybody know what that might be?

7 hours ago, D.. said:

Yeah, I won't buy any of this stuff. I consider myself a hardcore fan, but the content of those boxsets is absolutely not what I'm looking for. 

Granted, they look cool, but I see nothing useful in there. Am I going to use the washable tattoos? Nope. The rings? You got to be kidding. What's the use of ticket replicas exactly? Am I supposed to wipe off my ass with those? Do I care if the book is made out of leather? No, I just want to read something interesting, like say, Axl's autobiography. What's the next step, release a boxset made of gold for $1.000.000? 

I can't justify spending either $180 or $1000 in those boxes if I'm not going to use anything, or not hear anything really new. Also, I kind of hate the "we made this out of real leather" and throw in cheap tattoos. It's really disguising shit in gold. If you want to make a luxury item, then don't include garbage, it's simple.

I remember when Chinese Democracy came out, there were loads of deluxe boxsets everywhere in Paris music shops, and they barely sold. They had to lower the price several times and even when it was sold for $50, I didn't even buy it. They are making the same mistake. Even if Appetite is much more popular. Unless they lower the price a lot.

I would consider spending $180 in a boxset if what we had was something really exclusive and never seen/heard before, or hard to find. I'm sure they have loads of live shows in great quality they could put on blu-rays and make a huge boxset with that. Imagine a boxset with the first shows of 2001 in amazing quality, some unreleased songs... Songs that were supposed to make it on Chinese Democracy 2, the CD remixes... Why didn't they remix Crash Diet like they did with Shadow of your love? Why only Move to the city and SOYL?

I don't understand why they went for something so uninteresting. I'd like to hear new music first and foremost, and Axl's thoughts. That's it really. 

Or even, you know, a nice exclusive t-shirt. Something I could actually use. If anyone's gonna use those dumb looking rings, please send me a picture :P

I agree.  Why no Crash Diet?  And maybe add an exclusive interview with Axl talking about the recording sessions of Appetite,  his memories and recollections,  etc.  And add some recordings like Marquee and Perkins Palace, CBGB, all the great soundboard from 1987.  And  release some rehearsal tapes of the guys practicing.  That would be cool.  I love the new releases but everything is too refined and polished... it's not too late to put out a DVD too....

• Like 1

To me this whole box thing just seems like they're testing the market, and trying to get one thing out of the way (AFD). They could have done it when the album was 20, but they weren't together and there was no agreement or interest. They could have done when it was 10 years old, but they weren't on good terms either. They could have done it when the album turned 30, but they couldn't make in time... but before they had to wait for 40. They decided to release it anyways and get that boxset out of the way.

Let's be honest... It's not a bad box, it has good enough content for people to wanna buy it, and don't even say that the demos are all available on youtube, because you know as much as I do that the quality of most of these demos that are out there on youtube is not good. What is exaggerated is the price, in my opinion.

But on the other hand, you have Gene Simmons knocking at your door, asking you for 25K for his solo career demos and a handshake...