How do you rate Skid Row?

Fashionista

The first album has a few good songs and sounds good when I crank up the record, but there's a lot of cheese and hairspray on that album too. Slave To The Grind is definitely a solid album, easily their best. Subhuman Race... I think I listened to it twice. Didn't care for it. (I listened to Bring Em Bach Alive quite a few times tho, thought it was generally a better album than Subhuman even tho it's mostly a solo Baz live album). B-Side Ourselves is a solid little covers EP, too... Baz opened with Little Wing when I saw him a couple years ago actually, their version of that is pretty good.

Edited by Gordon Comstock

First 2 albums kicked ass! They get lumped into hair metal because of how Bach looked, kinda pretty. But they were metal and their live shows were awesome. They opened for GnR at a time when that was a recipe for getting shit thrown at you and booed off stage, but they rocked and made a lot of new fans. Real good band from that era.

16 hours ago, Juventino said:

The Bach era is fantastic.

Thick Skin was pretty good but I don’t know who the singer was. 

Snake seems to be willing to cut his nose off to spite his face. He just can’t take that the success of Skid was because Bach was a great frontman. 

12 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I enjoy Slave too, but this is pure horseshit and you know it.

Think about it are there better rockers on UYI than Slave to the Grind and Monkey Business? Maybe You Could Be Mine. 

There are high points on each UYI from Izzy, Axl and Slash. But then there’s a lot of okay ones that get by on the talents of individuals. They are also kind of all over the place. It’s hard to get through the whole album in one sitting. I just dip into various songs. Slave is a smooth machine. 

Slave is completely cohesive with great rockers and ballads. Wasted Time is easily as good as Don’t Cry. 

There’s definitely tracks like Civil War that I’d never trade but then there’s songs that are interesting but don’t really work unless you are a big fan who is going to take the time to understand Locomotive or Don’t Damn Me. 

First listen to Slave and I was like they just blew UYI away. UYI has more depth and longevity, but judge as just a rock record Slave is so assured and powerful. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

I’m with most everyone here, the albums with Baz are great, with them probably peaking on Slave to the Grind. I really enjoy their covers EP, and Subhuman Race has some cool moments, but is pretty hit and miss for the most part. 

Baz’s best album is Angel Down since leaving Skid Row, but Skid Row’s output without Baz is downright awful. 

Given that the last album they put out together was the patchy Subhuman, would a reunion really be that good? Even if they were to write new songs, they’d probably be more along the lines of Subhuman than Slave. 

Still, it’d be great to see them live together again. But I think that ship sailed missing the opportunity to reunite and open for Guns in 2016

On 27/06/2018 at 5:05 PM, wasted said:

Think about it are there better rockers on UYI than Slave to the Grind and Monkey Business? Maybe You Could Be Mine. 

There are high points on each UYI from Izzy, Axl and Slash. But then there’s a lot of okay ones that get by on the talents of individuals. They are also kind of all over the place. It’s hard to get through the whole album in one sitting. I just dip into various songs. Slave is a smooth machine. 

Slave is completely cohesive with great rockers and ballads. Wasted Time is easily as good as Don’t Cry. 

There’s definitely tracks like Civil War that I’d never trade but then there’s songs that are interesting but don’t really work unless you are a big fan who is going to take the time to understand Locomotive or Don’t Damn Me. 

First listen to Slave and I was like they just blew UYI away. UYI has more depth and longevity, but judge as just a rock record Slave is so assured and powerful. 

Slave to the Grind would be perfect if not for that shitty Creepshow song

17 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

I’m with most everyone here, the albums with Baz are great, with them probably peaking on Slave to the Grind. I really enjoy their covers EP, and Subhuman Race has some cool moments, but is pretty hit and miss for the most part. 

Baz’s best album is Angel Down since leaving Skid Row, but Skid Row’s output without Baz is downright awful. 

Given that the last album they put out together was the patchy Subhuman, would a reunion really be that good? Even if they were to write new songs, they’d probably be more along the lines of Subhuman than Slave. 

Still, it’d be great to see them live together again. But I think that ship sailed missing the opportunity to reunite and open for Guns in 2016

Slave to the Grind would be perfect if not for that shitty Creepshow song

It’s kind of total sludge rock. 

I think I love it. Slow and low with cow bell. 

Edited by wasted

I like them. I'm not as into that sound as I used to be but I can understand why people are drawn to their sound. They came to my town last year though and they kinda suck without Baz

Edited by Gibson_Guy87

I liked Skid Row and saw them in '91 when opening for GnR. Of course, I was there for GnR but I arrived early to also see Skid Row. Skid Row and Slave to the Grind were hugely popular and I agree the peak for Skid Row. Live, they didn't come close to GnR. Even with all the problems of the UYI tour and innerband battles, GnR blew Skid Row away.  

On 6/26/2018 at 8:54 AM, Juventino said:

The Bach era is fantastic.

I never realized anyone took the "non Bach" era seriously.  Sort of the same as Motley Crue without Vince Neil.

Edited by Kasanova King

Skid Row and GNR are my 2 favourite bands since I was a teenager.

I love Skid row and Slave to the grind. subhuman race was not my cup of tea but united world rebellion 1 and 2 have good songs on it as well.

I saw them twice in May this year with ZP and he is a great singer a super fit. I recommend everyone to go and see him 

Baz was great but he is a drama queen and Skid row don t want and need drama. they don t need baz cause Rachel and snake write the songs or do you think baz wrote the hits? No its rachel scotti and snake who ARE skid row. I love the guys still so much and hope to see them soon again

On 5/7/2018 at 4:08 AM, Kasanova King said:

I never realized anyone took the "non Bach" era seriously.  Sort of the same as Motley Crue without Vince Neil.

well if you are a fan of skid row then you have to consider and have a look at every era and every incarnation and THEN decide if you still like them or not.

I was very skeptical when I saw them 2013 first time live but they blew me away. It was a massive show even without Baz. and the current singer zp has currently a better voice than Baz. don t live in the past. baz doesn t sing anymore in 2018 like he did in 1991. zp is younger and he nails it. and their style: nothing like subhuman race. it s more like slave to the grind but not exactly. it a worth listening and a live show is fantastic. 

• 1 month later...
On 7.7.2018 at 8:54 AM, wasted said:

Thick Skin was a solid album. 

But live how do you not have Bach. 

Bach 2018  doesn t sound live like Bach in 91 and both Solinger and Zp theart are doing/have done a great job. ZP even better. I saw them live twice this year and if you liked Skid row back then go and see a show: it will be a positive surprise if you think they need Bach. they don t. 

1 hour ago, Natty said:

Bach 2018  doesn t sound live like Bach in 91 and both Solinger and Zp theart are doing/have done a great job. ZP even better. I saw them live twice this year and if you liked Skid row back then go and see a show: it will be a positive surprise if you think they need Bach. they don t. 

It’s not just the singing, it’s a show and Bach has a big presence for me. There’s a connection between Bach and the fans and those songs. The whole thing would be bigger with Bach. 

Edited by wasted

Skid Row was great back in the day.  Self-titled and Slave to the Grind are great.  Baz is a great singer, and without him they take a huge step down.

Saw 'em open for Aerosmith, and then again with Guns back in the early 90's.  They were a solid second tier 80's band, below the big dogs like the two bands I just mentioned.  But still very good.