27 years of "Hollywood Vampires" from L.A. Guns

Sosso

Laguns-hollywoodvampires.jpg

The L.A. Guns album "Hollywood Vampires" was released 27 years ago today. The album included songs like "Over the Edge", "Crystal Eyes" and "It's Over Now" and featured Tracii Guns and Mick Cripps on guitar, Phil Lewis on vocals, Kelly Nickels on bass guitar and Steve Riley on drums.

Edited by Sosso

7 minutes ago, soon said:

Huh, no way: Duff and Matt were in a band that shares a name with an LA Guns album!

Yea, that's funny, isn't it? :lol:

7 minutes ago, soon said:

Post some vids for us neophytes?

Here you are.

Edited by Sosso

3 minutes ago, soon said:

Thanks @Sosso this track is pretty baller! I like the synth and guitar solo a lot

Totally fun about the name! The circle of life I guess :lol:

Agreed! I love that guitar solo.

I love the production of that album. It's like a mixture of classical and experimental elements. Just like a certain double album that was released in the same year.

5 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Agreed! I love that guitar solo.

I love the production of that album. It's like a mixture of classical and experimental elements. Just like a certain double album that was released in the same year.

Yeah! Id only heard rockers from them before now. Never knew they got in to those elements. Its cool! Wish that era of rock had been able to develop further

• Like 1

I must say I never cared about L.A. Guns, considered it pretty much unsuccessful hair metal band that was blown out of the music radar in early 90's.

but I gave that Youtube link above a chance and I was quite surprised by that, I liked it :)

thanks for making me discover another "new" band, albeit after 27 years :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zombux said:

I must say I never cared about L.A. Guns, considered it pretty much unsuccessful hair metal band that was blown out of the music radar in early 90's.

but I gave that Youtube link above a chance and I was quite surprised by that, I liked it :)

thanks for making me discover another "new" band, albeit after 27 years :D

This band always stood in the shadow of Tracii's former band Guns N' Roses, but they definitely deserved a lot more of attention. Albums like "Hollywood Vampires" are a proof for that. 

Edited by Sosso

2 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Tracii's former band Guns N' Roses

this looks quite weirdly written, as L.A. Guns are older than GNR :) funny how it was formed in 1983 by two later founding members of GNR Tracii Guns and Rob Gardner, and their first bassist was Ole Beich of the same later fame :) and even more funny is that the debut EP "Collector's Edition No. 1" was recorded with a band that was 3/4 of later GNR (only the singer was different, and even he was briefly replaced by Axl Rose at some point after the EP was recorded - so during Axl's brief stint in L.A. Guns, he effectively was together with the whole founding lineup of future GNR, only without Izzy)

1 minute ago, zombux said:

this looks quite weirdly written, as L.A. Guns are older than GNR :) funny how it was formed in 1983 by two later founding members of GNR Tracii Guns and Rob Gardner, and their first bassist was Ole Beich of the same later fame :) and even more funny is that the debut EP "Collector's Edition No. 1" was recorded with a band that was 3/4 of later GNR (only the singer was different, and even he was briefly replaced by Axl Rose at some point after the EP was recorded - so during Axl's brief stint in L.A. Guns, he effectively was together with the whole founding lineup of future GNR, only without Izzy)

Did you know that Duff's first live experience of Axl was at a L.A. Guns show?

• Haha 1

LOL, fuck me. this album is really good. nothing really groundbreaking, even in 1991 it's absolutely 1980-ish. but I really like it. of course AFD was miles ahead of this, not even talking about UYI, Nevermind, Core and other 90's stuff, but still this is so atmospheric. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zombux said:

LOL, fuck me. this album is really good. nothing really groundbreaking, even in 1991 it's absolutely 1980-ish. but I really like it. of course AFD was miles ahead of this, not even talking about UYI, Nevermind, Core and other 90's stuff, but still this is so atmospheric. 

What are your favourite songs from the album? 

21 hours ago, Sosso said:

What are your favourite songs from the album? 

hard to say really. there are some stronger and some weaker points. I take it as one piece. good that there's no track that would make me skip it. I'm thinking about watching some 80's movie, LOL

3 minutes ago, zombux said:

hard to say really. there are some stronger and some weaker points. I take it as one piece. good that there's no track that would make me skip it. I'm thinking about watching some 80's movie, LOL

I'm really digging the songs Over the Edge, Crystal Eyes and Dirty Luv. Some Lie 4 Love sounds like a song from AC/DC. 

Edited by Sosso

1 minute ago, Sosso said:

I'm really digging the songs Over the Edge and Dirty Luv. Some Lie 4 Love sounds like a songs from AC/DC. 

yeah. I also like My Koo Ka Choo or It's Over Now. absolutely the stuff that always played in 80's movies background :)