*Possibly* The General, terrible quality cell phone recording *NO LINKS*

5 minutes ago, default_ said:

The video seems to align with what Goldstein wrotte to Axl on that letter, a video completely made with stock footage where they wouldnt spend a penny, so I assume it is legit. 

Got it. The video is meaningfully better than all of the backing videos for NITL. 

I always thought the 2002 concert backing videos were pretty good. NITL is a bit cheesy

Edited by nycgunner

6 minutes ago, charliehoodger said:

So this is me not really asking for it for myself but how have people heard the legit version? Was it on YouTube for a hot second?

That's a good question.  If it gets removed from youtube or is not being posted there, doesn't that add to the validity that this is a real leak and not fan made?

43 minutes ago, evader said:

Manufactured "studio" version, yes. I haven't heard the cellphone version that's out there, but I suspect it is from the original source. I spent a lot of time cleaning it up, but I don't think I ever sent a full version of my cleanup to anyone. I don't think.

Have you ever made a version of This I Love that had drums, rhythm guitars, and bass through out the whole song.

I dont think its musically like Estranged. Its slow, but heavy, not ballad like. It has that soaring guitar solo though which I think can be taken as a similarity to Estranged. Its very much NuGNR (in a good way) sounding

Edited by ZoSoRose

10 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I dont think its musically like Estranged. Its slow, but heavy, not ballad like. It has that soaring guitar solo though which I think can be taken as a similarity to Estranged. Its very much NuGNR (in a good way) sounding

It really reminds me of Bucket's solo on Madagascar, but it could also be Finck.  Either way, it's great.

5 minutes ago, Gackt said:

It really reminds me of Bucket's solo on Madagascar, but it could also be Finck.  Either way, it's great.

Yeah. I think its Bucket but it could be Finck. Also, I can make out some really saturated power chords at the end. Pretty cool 

Thanks for all the background info @Mindray11; I remember I was tossing up between going to Geneva vs. Vienna back in 2010, and remember regretting it a bit when I saw how wild the Vienna crowd was compared to the nearly-comatose Geneva one :lol: Not that I would have ended up at the after-party or anything, never been to one of those. Happy I got electric Catcher in Geneva, though, after getting acoustic Catcher at L'Arc :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if this leads any more credence to the rumours that Axl wanted to release CDII in 2010 and nearly cancelled the tour via that August tweet when the label said no.

After L'Arc a fan asked him what the deal with new music was and he said something along the lines of "Just have to figure out what our deal with the label is...".

Edited by Amir
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, downliner said:

This is such BS lol. Are we supposed to go hunting for a "possibly The General terrible quality cell phone recording"?

It's ridiculous that fans have to put up with this bullshit just to hear new GNR material. It's been like this since the day I discovered GNR back in like 1998. All I want is the opportunity to hand over £10 for a CD that has Axl Rose singing shit I've not heard before, why is it this complicated? :lol:

This band makes me so mad at times lol. I try so hard to remain positive, but in the last month alone we've had $1000 for a boxset of shit we've all heard, fkn Fly GNRAir whatever that is, Fernando calling us idiots, the same old stale setlist, and now this nonsense about 7 second cellphone recordings. Are we being trolled, or am I the troll for expecting the band to release music like a normal band?

Someone on staff please ban me and put me out of my misery, please lol :facepalm:

T h i s.

The following is my opinion if you don't agree with it get in the ring:

I know artists jam. I also know skilled musicians can improvise, work on jams while touring you get my drift.

I think this had potential to be a song or could have been something possibly being worked on.

Why?

If this had some heavier guitars, more bass and an 07 Axl singing it would have been a perfect more suited fit to CD.

To add to this guns have previewed new music/unreleased music during concerts. The General, TIL back in the 90's and Prostitute come to mind.

What say you?

Yes

or

Nah Bro

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Mindray11 said:

normal concert after show party, where they meet fans and stuff

So... that's your recording we're hearing. That you sent to MSL in 2010. Makes sense, actually, since he helped his friend who sold all those leaks, and probably got some of the money as well.
Fuck. This means MSL doesn't have the real deal. Otherwise why would he & his pal have kept a crappy recording for 8 years if they had the studio version?

I'm happy we got all this, especially HOB, but it's not like we got the songs from CDII in proper studio quality. And from what I understand now, none of the hoarders have them. Which explains why they have negociated the 2K price (and maybe it's even more than that) for these remixes & demos & bits of garbage + HOB. 

Well, let's hope for a CD fully loaded box in 2028. Guess we got most of what we could get for now. Maybe we'll hear clips and bits of some stuff but I don't expect a single full leak of a CDII song now.

I thought there were stuff of much greater importance hoarded for so long... I'm a bit disappointed.

18 minutes ago, D.. said:

So... that's your recording we're hearing. That you sent to MSL in 2010. Makes sense, actually, since he helped his friend who sold all those leaks, and probably got some of the money as well.
Fuck. This means MSL doesn't have the real deal. Otherwise why would he & his pal have kept a crappy recording for 8 years if they had the studio version?

I'm happy we got all this, especially HOB, but it's not like we got the songs from CDII in proper studio quality. And from what I understand now, none of the hoarders have them. Which explains why they have negociated the 2K price (and maybe it's even more than that) for these remixes & demos & bits of garbage + HOB. 

Well, let's hope for a CD fully loaded box in 2028. Guess we got most of what we could get for now. Maybe we'll hear clips and bits of some stuff but I don't expect a single full leak of a CDII song now.

I thought there were stuff of much greater importance hoarded for so long... I'm a bit disappointed.

Well in defense he had never claimed to have anything other than a phone recording of The General for “new material”. But the hoarder community is larger than him and his group. We can also take into consideration Goin Down, Silkworms and Oh My God come from the same source. If that’s the case there’s a guitar mix version of Atlas, somewhere. Then IF you’re trying to sell and trade unreleased stuff you’ll keep anything that potentially can hold value. A 2 min cellphone clip of a unreleased song tossed with remixes and proshots holds value. Allowing you to sell that without worry and if you have the actual studio version you’re able to maintain it on the downlow. I’m not saying he has the actual studio version of The General or any other tracks but if you’re able to sell a shit clip then sell a studio version to the same person you’re going to do it. Just like if you’re going to trade a clip and get something else you’ll try to keep the best until you have no other options. Hypothetically if he has more what we got was the bottom of the barrel.

Edited by Grayfox

Obviously you can't make out many details at all really, but holy shit, it sounds like it could be absolutely epic. It's got a monster beat, cool guitar, and that part towards the end when it kicks in an it sounds like Axl going into rage mode or something. Based purely on this shit quality leak, the song very well could live up to the years of hype.