NeonKinight

Mi Amor & Ballad Of Death Studio Versions **NO LINKS**

4 minutes ago, Torb said:

I'd add a couple of things:

Axl burnt out his creativity but performance-wise was still prepared and on point until 2010 (AXL/DC and NA 2016 being the exception).

Same for Slash, until World On Fire he was playing very good and kinda improved technically.
Duff never did anything remarkable tbh, Loaded and Walking Papers are cool though.

Duff is only a part of this reunion because he knows how to make a good deal (unlike Izzy). 

• Like 1

Shacklers was written in or around 2000 by Buckethead and Brain and produced by Rob Beaton and longtime Bucket collaborator Pete Scatturo.

We naturally need the Buckethead version, for divine poultry justice. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Lio said:

But music isn't objective to me. A large part is about how it makes you feel. I don't have to be a musician to decide who is the better one for me. And many people seem to agree, hence the positive reviews and people being overwhelmed by him.

To my knowledge, Slash hasn't butchered anything as badly as that SCOM intro, technical issue or not (he should've stopped instead of making them all look like fools), and his Patience solo is outright atrocious. Even other band members were mocking him on stage.

On topic: I don't hate Mi Amor or Ballad of Death, but without vocals, I don't really care.

It starts to be objective when someone points out at live mistakes (or remarkable wins). I'm not comparing Slash and DJ, I only said that it's incoherent to highlight someone's mistakes when praising a guy who does basically the same stuff.

Last year Slash failed on SCOM not playing the entire intro and cutting it even before the drums entrance. It'll be hard to find that video again but I'll do my best if you're interested.

1 minute ago, Torb said:

It starts to be objective when someone points out at live mistakes (or remarkable wins). I'm not comparing Slash and DJ, I only said that it's incoherent to highlight someone's mistakes when praising a guy who does basically the same stuff.

Last year Slash failed on SCOM not playing the entire intro and cutting it even before the drums entrance. It'll be hard to find that video again but I'll do my best if you're interested.

No, it's okay, you don't have to. I believe you :)

• Like 1

Slash certainly isn't perfect or going full tilt these days but to bring him down to anywhere near the depth that Ashba is, is frankly ludicrous.  Ashba's tone, technical skills and "persona" are all completely laughable.  He never even hid it when he was in GnR… He'd play solos until they got too fast or technical then he'd hold a note whilst Ron would come in and do the hard work.  Check Sweet Child or Rocket Queen as examples of this.  He may aswell have had a nap when they played shackler's, he did literally nothing during the song and if I remember used to hit a drum or some shit during Maddy.  They should have just gave him a board to wear hocking his overpriced, shitty merch and music and a triangle..  That would be about his level.

16 hours ago, Gackt said:

Most of the hate comes from either the AshbaSwag bullshit, or butchering some iconic solos with his unique interpretations that made Axl & Ron Thal's eyes roll into their heads during shows.  :awesomeface:

There's also the case of him being a 45 year old man thinking he's part of gen z.

Yes, I  can see why to do not like the persona he creats and performs, but I just don't hate his version of any solo, I guess. Robin's NR bothers so much more, ofr instance 

35 minutes ago, T-Minus said:

Slash certainly isn't perfect or going full tilt these days but to bring him down to anywhere near the depth that Ashba is, is frankly ludicrous.  Ashba's tone, technical skills and "persona" are all completely laughable.  He never even hid it when he was in GnR… He'd play solos until they got too fast or technical then he'd hold a note whilst Ron would come in and do the hard work.  Check Sweet Child or Rocket Queen as examples of this.  He may aswell have had a nap when they played shackler's, he did literally nothing during the song and if I remember used to hit a drum or some shit during Maddy.  They should have just gave him a board to wear hocking his overpriced, shitty merch and music and a triangle..  That would be about his level.

I recommend you to listen to his solo work, he has DEFINITELY technical skills. Letting Ron play those parts was a band choice imho. Tone is a matter of personal taste, for example I hate how Slash' classic LP sounds nowadays. The Goldtop instead is freakin' awesome.

Robin tone was disgusting tbh :P 

For the persona matter...well, he came to greet us fans twice at the 2012 Gn'R show in Milan and seemed humble indeed. On stage he may look cocky, I agree with that, but as long he's cool in real life I'm ok.

1 hour ago, Sosso said:

Better than the old one :headbang:

I see some hate on Ashba from some of the previous comments...but I'll be honest....I wish I had the ability to play on or at his level...I'm musically challenged for sure.

1 hour ago, Torb said:

I recommend you to listen to his solo work, he has DEFINITELY technical skills. Letting Ron play those parts was a band choice imho. Tone is a matter of personal taste, for example I hate how Slash' classic LP sounds nowadays. The Goldtop instead is freakin' awesome.

Robin tone was disgusting tbh :P 

For the persona matter...well, he came to greet us fans twice at the 2012 Gn'R show in Milan and seemed humble indeed. On stage he may look cocky, I agree with that, but as long he's cool in real life I'm ok.

We'll agree to disagree.

I could have sworn Ballad Of Death was released years ago 

12 minutes ago, Stro said:

I could've sworn the 12 minute version's of Rocket Queen & KOHD were the ballad's of death.. :question:

1 hour ago, Gunner55 said:

Better than the old one :headbang:

Ashba plays like a 15 year old bedroom guitarist that has played for about 4 years.  His woeful vibrato terribly pitched string bends and awful tone are absolutely unforgiveable for a pro.

No hate on Ashba as a guy, or as a musician - but also no interest in Ashba instrumentals, tbh. 

26 minutes ago, T-Minus said:

Ashba plays like a 15 year old bedroom guitarist that has played for about 4 years.  His woeful vibrato terribly pitched string bends and awful tone are absolutely unforgiveable for a pro.

He did a lot of the material more justice than Finck. Finck's November Rain solos were just unforgivable. It's night and day comparing any of these guys to Slash, not that it really needs to be said. 

Ashba was a cool dude. He and Ron were always good with the fans - but it's great that the material is played the right way in this Mickey Mouse fronted GNR. 

1 hour ago, Stro said:

It was...this one just sounds better.

I always liked My love, but honestly it's ridiculous to pay for this 😂, I would have preferred to pay for the endless instrumentals of finck in 1997

I wonder if Ashba himself paid for these leaks. I can’t fathom any other sane human being wanting to listen to these.

I never minded these songs to be honest. Ashba is a joke but these were decent enough to listen to live in those days. Can’t say I have much interest in these leaks though.

At least Bucket was nice enough to perform songs for his solo that were already long available on his solo albums for people who were interested :P on a free download album (Giant Robot NTT) except for Big Sur Moon, no less

On 27/06/2018 at 6:00 AM, Creed said:

All new leaks are god damn awful. Even me, who is a pure amateur, can do better remixes or demos.

Compared to these 'My World' is top notch hit material.

You should hear my Shackler’s If the World remix ft 50 cent and Eminem. It rocks the ballistics. 

On 27.6.2018 at 7:45 PM, zombux said:

true. Slash is butchering Robin's and Bucket's solo as well. 

You’re a funny guy.

On 28-6-2018 at 3:04 AM, Gackt said:

At least Bucket was nice enough to perform songs for his solo that were already long available on his solo albums for people who were interested :P on a free download album (Giant Robot NTT) except for Big Sur Moon, no less

On the downside Buckethead incorporated rubber chickens and nunchuck dances into his solo's. Now, I'm a bigger fan of herpes than I am of DJ Ashba, but that stuff that Buckethead did should never be part of a GnR gig either. ;) 

• Like 1

I have always liked Ballad of Death and think it would be a great opener to an album.

BOD death then it drops into OMG, Silkworms, Going Down, The General, Soul Monster, Atlas Shrugged

Posted (edited)
Just now, wasted said:

I have always liked Ballad of Death and think it would be a great opener to an album.

BOD death then it drops into OMG, Silkworms, Going Down, The General, Soul Monster, Atlas Shrugged

not a fan of dj's guitar playing in general, but i could see how he could have written a lot of stuff for axl to take and make into a mixture of what axl had from cd2 and half an album of dj ballad of death is actually pretty good imo. better fit than bumble in the writing department. a style that would have probably worked.

Edited by Rovim

32 minutes ago, Rovim said:

not a fan of dj's guitar playing in general, but i could see how he could have written a lot of stuff for axl to take and make into a mixture of what axl had from cd2 and half an album of dj ballad of death is actually pretty good imo. better fit than bumble in the writing department. a style that would have probably worked.

I think Axl could have got a few pop metal songs out of him and maybe a consistent sound across a record. But it would have that glam pop metal feel. Ron would be used on Axl’s more epic material. And Fortus would hold it all together. I’d be interested in Axl singing on Dj’s solo album. That just seems like it would work in a fun way.