so what is this song exactly? it's known that during the sessions they recorded some unreleased tracks, including "Untitled song in progress" and "Cornshucker Stomp". now obviously a song was released, but we don't know which one it is. 

what do you guys think, is this Cornshucker Stomp, or is it the untitled song?

it was known that You're Crazy acoustic and The Plague were existing, and indeed they have been now released. but what about "New York Tune"?

thanks for your opinions ;) 

15 hours ago, zombux said:

so what is this song exactly? it's known that during the sessions they recorded some unreleased tracks, including "Untitled song in progress" and "Cornshucker Stomp". now obviously a song was released, but we don't know which one it is. 

what do you guys think, is this Cornshucker Stomp, or is it the untitled song?

it was known that You're Crazy acoustic and The Plague were existing, and indeed they have been now released. but what about "New York Tune"?

thanks for your opinions ;) 

do you have the full list of songs recorded?

:headbang:

24 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

do you have the full list of songs recorded?

yes, the list is still not finalized, but a provisional version as follows (note that the missing takes are usually grouped together with the other take, so the likely chronological order is not always perfectly honored; the original list credit goes to JimBeam, later edits thanks to @Nikki_Sixx and others):

Manny Charlton produced Sound City Sessions -> June 5 1986, Sound City Studios, Van Nuys, CA (other sources say June 2-4 1986) Best bootleg version Officially released
01 Out Ta Get Me (Take #1) The Story Vol. I + .44 Horticulture (Intro patch) Appetite For Destruction SDE
*MISSING* Out Ta Get Me (Any Additional Takes) *MISSING* [DOES NOT CIRCULATE] (might not exist, but above track is named “Take #1”) N/A N/A
02 Rocket Queen (Take #1) The Story Vol. I + Hell Revisited (Intro patch) Appetite For Destruction SDE
03 Rocket Queen (Take #2) The Hell Revisited N/A
04 Nightrain The Story Vol. I Appetite For Destruction SDE
05 My Michelle The Story Vol. I Appetite For Destruction SDE
06 You're Crazy The Story Vol. I Appetite For Destruction SDE
07 Paradise City The Story Vol. I Appetite For Destruction SDE
08 Move To The City (Take #1) November Rain + .44 Horticulture (Outro patch) Appetite For Destruction SDE
*MISSING* Move To The City (Take #2) 3:25 *MISSING* [DOES NOT CIRCULATE] N/A N/A
09 November Rain (Acoustic) Sessions Appetite For Destruction SDE
10 November Rain (Piano) Sessions Appetite For Destruction SDE
11 Shadow Of Your Love (Take #1 - "wake up, it’s time to play" version) The Hell Revisited Live And Let Die CDS, Appetite For Destruction SDE
*MISSING* Shadow Of Your Love (Take #2) *MISSING* [DOES NOT CIRCULATE] (different take from "wake up, it's time to play") N/A N/A
12 Reckless Life Sessions Appetite For Destruction SDE
13 Think About You The Story Vol. I Appetite For Destruction SDE
14 Welcome To The Jungle ("you guys ready?" false start) The Hell Revisited Appetite For Destruction SDE, The Very Best Of Guns N' Roses (unreleased)
15 Don't Cry The Story Vol. I N/A
*MISSING* Nice Boys (Take #1) *MISSING* [DOES NOT CIRCULATE] N/A N/A
16 Nice Boys (Take #2) (“no we’re not” version) The Story Vol. I Appetite For Destruction SDE
17 Back Off Bitch The Alan Niven 1986 Master Tapes Appetite For Destruction SDE
18 Anything Goes The Story Vol. I Appetite For Destruction SDE
19 Mama Kin Sessions Appetite For Destruction SDE
20 Heartbreak Hotel (Take #1) Sessions Appetite For Destruction SDE
*MISSING* Heartbreak Hotel (Take #2) *MISSING* [DOES NOT CIRCULATE] N/A N/A
21 Ain't Goin' Down (Instrumental) Sessions Appetite For Destruction SDE
*MISSING* Jumpin’ Jack Flash (Electric Take #1) *MISSING* [DOES NOT CIRCULATE] N/A N/A
22 Jumpin' Jack Flash (Electric Take #2) Sessions Appetite For Destruction SDE
23 Jumpin' Jack Flash (acoustic) Sessions Appetite For Destruction SDE
24 Move To The City (acoustic - "west coast junkie" intro) Rumbo Tapes Appetite For Destruction SDE
*MISSING* Untitled Song In Progress *MISSING* (possibly New York Tune, see below) N/A N/A
25 You're Crazy (acoustic) (uncirculated before AFD SDE) Appetite For Destruction SDE
26 The Plague (uncirculated before AFD SDE) Appetite For Destruction SDE
*MISSING* Cornshucker Stomp *MISSING* (possibly New York Tune, see below) N/A N/A
New York Tune (previously either Untitled Song In Progress, or Cornshucker Stomp - see above) (uncirculated before AFD SDE) Appetite For Destruction SDE

3 hours ago, zombux said:

yes, the list is still not finalized, but a provisional version as follows (note that the missing takes are usually grouped together with the other take, so the likely chronological order is not always perfectly honored; the original list credit goes to JimBeam, later edits thanks to @Nikki_Sixx and others):

Manny Charlton produced Sound City Sessions -> June 5 1986, Sound City Studios, Van Nuys, CA (other sources say June 2-4 1986) Best bootleg version Officially released
01 Out Ta Get Me (Take #1) The Story Vol. I + .44 Horticulture (Intro patch) Appetite For Destruction SDE
*MISSING* Out Ta Get Me (Any Additional Takes) *MISSING* [DOES NOT CIRCULATE] (might not exist, but above track is named “Take #1”) N/A N/A
02 Rocket Queen (Take #1) The Story Vol. I + Hell Revisited (Intro patch) Appetite For Destruction SDE
08 Move To The City (Take #1) November Rain + .44 Horticulture (Outro patch) Appetite For Destruction SDE
*MISSING* Move To The City (Take #2) 3:25 *MISSING* [DOES NOT CIRCULATE] N/A N/A
11 Shadow Of Your Love (Take #1 - "wake up, it’s time to play" version) The Hell Revisited Live And Let Die CDS, Appetite For Destruction SDE
*MISSING* Shadow Of Your Love (Take #2) *MISSING* [DOES NOT CIRCULATE] (different take from "wake up, it's time to play") N/A N/A
14 Welcome To The Jungle ("you guys ready?" false start) The Hell Revisited Appetite For Destruction SDE, The Very Best Of Guns N' Roses (unreleased)
16 Nice Boys (Take #2) (“no we’re not” version) The Story Vol. I Appetite For Destruction SDE
*MISSING* Jumpin’ Jack Flash (Electric Take #1) *MISSING* [DOES NOT CIRCULATE] N/A N/A
24 Move To The City (acoustic - "west coast junkie" intro) Rumbo Tapes Appetite For Destruction SDE
*MISSING* Untitled Song In Progress *MISSING* (possibly New York Tune, see below) N/A N/A
25 You're Crazy (acoustic) (uncirculated before AFD SDE) Appetite For Destruction SDE
*MISSING* Cornshucker Stomp *MISSING* (possibly New York Tune, see below) N/A N/A
New York Tune (previously either Untitled Song In Progress, or Cornshucker Stomp - see above) (uncirculated before AFD SDE) Appetite For Destruction SDE

wow this is amazing

where does that list comes from?

how do you guys know that these uncirculated versions actually exist?

is it possible that there are more songs that were recorded and are not on this list?

3 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

wow this is amazing

where does that list comes from?

how do you guys know that these uncirculated versions actually exist?

is it possible that there are more songs that were recorded and are not on this list?

it's always possible that some more recordings or even other sessions happened - for example, I've found out that they were doing some sessions at Sunset Sound Studios, but all I know is that those sessions happened between 1985 and January 1987 - that's all.

the list is part of my table of all GNR (including Hollywood Rose and Rapidfire) studio sessions and takes - it's not yet complete so I only copy&paste parts of it here and there.

it was based on huge amount of time of other people, trying to compile all available information from bootleggers, official booklets, studio engineers interviews etc. 

Edited by zombux
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, zombux said:

so they recorded over 25 songs in one day or have i read that wrong ? 

4 minutes ago, donny said:

so they recorded over 25 songs in one day or have i read that wrong ? 

I don't think so. it was more likely 3-4 days (2-5th June 1986) - we only know snippets of exact information, based on AFD 2LP/Deluxe Edition credits (which says 5th, at least for some songs), and the original reels (which say 4th for the same songs - so I guess it was more days).

I don't have the SDE/L&L credits handy yet, so I can't tell about the other tracks that are on CD3-CD4.

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

R-12198501-1530306073-8490.jpeg.jpg

thanks. going off topic a bit more but how many versions of jumping jack flash do you know of ? i have 3, electric, acoustic and hell house. looking at your list more than 3 where recorded 

6 minutes ago, donny said:

thanks. going off topic a bit more but how many versions of jumping jack flash do you know of ? i have 3, electric, acoustic and hell house. looking at your list more than 3 where recorded 

there's no "Hell House" JJF - 3 takes from Sound City (2 circulating and included at AFD SDE/L&L, 3rd take is not circulating), and the remaining one is from Pasha. check your "Hell House" version against Alan Niven 1986 bootleg ;) 

2 minutes ago, zombux said:

there's no "Hell House" JJF - 3 takes from Sound City (2 circulating and included at AFD SDE/L&L, 3rd take is not circulating), and the remaining one is from Pasha. check your "Hell House" version against Alan Niven 1986 bootleg ;) 

will do. i have 2 versions of heartbreak hotel and 1 of those is labelled "hell house rehearsals" i guess the same applies to that ?  

Just now, donny said:

will do. i have 2 versions of heartbreak hotel and 1 of those is labelled "hell house rehearsals" i guess the same applies to that ?  

yes, definitely. no HH from Hell House known.

1 take was done at Mystic Studio (but never circulated)

2 takes were done at Sound City (one has been bootlegged and subsequently released officially at AFD SDE, the other take is not circulating).

2 takes were done at Pasha (one is at Alan Niven 1986 master tapes again, the other one has been "released semi-officially" at a compilation called Hollywood Rocks! Vinyl Edition and it seems that one is the only source where it appeared)

that makes 3 circulating versions altogether.

9 hours ago, zombux said:

it's always possible that some more recordings or even other sessions happened - for example, I've found out that they were doing some sessions at Sunset Sound Studios, but all I know is that those sessions happened between 1985 and January 1987 - that's all.

the list is part of my table of all GNR (including Hollywood Rose and Rapidfire) studio sessions and takes - it's not yet complete so I only copy&paste parts of it here and there.

it was based on huge amount of time of other people, trying to compile all available information from bootleggers, official booklets, studio engineers interviews etc. 

thats fantastic info thanks a lot for sharing!

one info that has always intrigued me is that Izzy mentioned in some interviews that the band tried to record the illusion albuns (or something to that effect) two or three times before the actual sessions

i know very little about that, i suppose they may have booked studio time and recorded quite a lot of stuff on these sessions

8 hours ago, ludurigan said:

thats fantastic info thanks a lot for sharing!

one info that has always intrigued me is that Izzy mentioned in some interviews that the band tried to record the illusion albuns (or something to that effect) two or three times before the actual sessions

i know very little about that, i suppose they may have booked studio time and recorded quite a lot of stuff on these sessions

I decided to share the whole thing here - will update it with new info whevere available.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Marjos1 said:

Don't know why, but i hear locomotive everywhere in this song.. 😅

Same. The chorus especially.

To my ears its almost like Locomotive is this jam elevated to Axls UYI standards. Or without that finesse it would be right at home of It's Five O' Clock Somewhere.

• Like 1