Appetite for Destruction 5.1 Surround Sound Mix by Elliot Scheiner

"Elliot Scheiner's magic in 5.1 comes from: a) his great experience in the studio, b) his love for the format, c) his respect for the original music from which he is doing the mix, d) because he is hell bent on detail and that's what he strives for in his 5.1 mixes..."

"He remains faithful to the original intent and mix, yet he has a way of "opening it up" and spreading it out to give the mix more room to be heard. To hear instruments or backing vocals that were buried in the 2 channel mix come alive it a treat, and they don't necessarily have to come from the rears to come alive."

Thoughts on his work on AFD?

Its probably the only reason I went for the CD box set. Aint in any way paying for the wooden box. Yes would be nice to have the sessions on vinyl, but wont probably get as much play as tne standard vinyl, which I have ordered as well.

actually looking forward to getting in from work to play the 5.1 mix

10 minutes ago, lpgnr said:

The blu ray is fuckin’ awesome! I’m loving the surround sound mixes. They did a great job with them!

3 minutes ago, lpgnr said:

No, the vocals are not isolated completely to the center speaker. They are on the front 3 speakers, with some backups (at times) in the back. Guitars are isolated, except for the solos. Sounds killer!

5 minutes ago, History2010 said:

It would be possible to make partial stems from them. 

In utero 5.1 for instance gave some nice stems, 6 channels with decent separation.

I'm so looking forward to downloading this Blu-ray 

Edited by uruguns
grammar
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, nevergotochurch said:

Would it be possible to somehow rip the blu ray audio to create stems and use them to mix your own version of the album with the buried parts highlighted, that way you could mix them down to wav, mp3, or whatever for a portable copy of the “surround sound mix”? 

Yes.

21 hours ago, action said:

OMG!! that is this?? :headbang: oh, it's the menu . ok, let's see. what's this... audio options. wait what, DTS HD, true HD... my system can't run this. fuuuuuck. ok let's pick 5.1 true HD and see where this goes.

You do have a 5.1 surround sound speaker system and receiver right?

Hi you all. Have a question about this for those who knows about audio.

"1 Blu-ray Audio Disc: New 96kHz 24-bit 5.1 Surround Sound Mixes from Original Analog Multi-tracks", does it mean that if you rip Blu-ray audio and then you open the .wav file in, let's say, Audacity, you will have vocals, bass, guitars and drum tracks separately?

12 minutes ago, Ulises said:

Hi you all. Have a question about this for those who knows about audio.

"1 Blu-ray Audio Disc: New 96kHz 24-bit 5.1 Surround Sound Mixes from Original Analog Multi-tracks", does it mean that if you rip Blu-ray audio and then you open the .wav file in, let's say, Audacity, you will have vocals, bass, guitars and drum tracks separately?

5.1 = 6 tracks. Afd =24 tracks.

Obviously there's no total separation of any instrument, but there's some degree of separation. Center speaker often has more vocals than other instrument.

You can look up on YouTube many 5.1 songs where only center channel is uploaded with vocals pretty isolated

5 hours ago, Setzer said:

You can't play DTS or Dolby encoded stuff if you can't decode it.

I know, but the appetite blu ray has the latest kind of DTS: true HD or DTSHD

older DTS decoders can't decode the HD stuff. I'm no expert in this though