Appetite for Destruction 5.1 Surround Sound Mix by Elliot Scheiner

On 6/29/2018 at 11:11 AM, action said:

ok, here is an account of my experience, based on the notes I made as I went, starting from switching on the blu ray system.

*inserts blu ray*

ok I'm going to just lay aside this cardboard box that came with my copy of appetite super deluxe....what the???? :blink: *killer version of welcome to the jungle starts playing*

OMG!! that is this?? :headbang: oh, it's the menu . ok, let's see. what's this... audio options. wait what, DTS HD, true HD... my system can't run this. fuuuuuck. ok let's pick 5.1 true HD and see where this goes. Ok, "play album". let's see.

1. welcome to the jungle

shocked! what is all of this? what is going on? everything is happening all at once and I can't keep up. guitars everywhere! and, hahahaha yeeaaaaah Axl sounds fucking BADASS.

2. it's so easy

oh, nice, they play visuals with each song. Seem like those leaflets they put in the L&L box depicting each song. But now, it's animated. things are moving. cool. a great mood setter. 

ok what do we have. Axl sounds neatly in the middle, right we have slash. Alright. it's fucking happening. I wonder though, what was that true HD shit, which my player can't decode. I wonder if this impacts the performance? Well, I wouldn't know. it sounds great as it is!

the vocals are spectacular. everything sounds like it's played "live", not studio.

3. nightrain

great slash sound. bass & drums awesome. this sounds nothing like the 1987 master, what the hell is this?? So much new discoveries! man, these pictures are nice. and all those guitars! guitar heaven! this is like... you know that picture of pluto we had for decades? and you couldnt make shit up? and recently they released that ultra HD picture of pluto and you saw all these canyones and dunes and colours that were always there, but you didnt notice? this is the same! fascinating!

4. out to get me

lol @ that picture of Axl showing the finger.

man, this sounds badass. Axl's voice! this song is a highlight!

and fuuuuuuck, that groove! slowhand steven. awesome! crystal clear guitars. what a triumph!

5. mr brownstone

another highlight! those guitars! that drumming! what the fuck are all these licks I never noticed? wow, Axl's vocals are killer! those greasy Slash licks.... eye opening! I'm starting to feel exhausted

6. paradise city

smooth harmony singing. this sounds like a remix? I'm smiling at the bad - assness. everything is more "audible" but I guess with a 1000 watt speaker set, it better lol.

what a masterpiece is appetite. everything sounds new and exciting.

7. my michelle

it sounds moody as fuck. Again, is this song being played slower? this sounds so damn good.... wait , are those new backing vocals?

8. think about you

sounds siiiiiiick

9. sweet child of mine

dreaming away...

ok I need to stop. I'm exhausted. there is too much going on. I need a break. Gonna play the next couple of songs later

what kind of system are you listening on?  I'm in the market for a new one, would love to know what you have and if you recommend it. 

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

The only thing I find suspect about that Paradise City YouTube clip is the complete and total lack of reverb on the drums. That's very odd but I'm not sure what to make of it.

Could just be a byproduct of an unconventional split between channels. I listened to the 5.1 mix of STP’s Core for the first time yesterday, and there’s some goofy stuff in that with the drums too. Especially listening to just an isolated channel, it’s hard to get a grasp of the full mix. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Could just be a byproduct of an unconventional split between channels. I listened to the 5.1 mix of STP’s Core for the first time yesterday, and there’s some goofy stuff in that with the drums too. Especially listening to just an isolated channel, it’s hard to get a grasp of the full mix. 

I'd not say "unconventional split between channels" - this is a 5.1 MIX, not really supposed to have isolated instruments in each channel (as opposed to for example Chinese Democracy Rock Band version), it rather has multiple instruments mixed in each channels, so in some channel one instrument dominates, in other channel some other instrument dominates, but still there are other instruments in each channel.

• Like 1

Honestly I don't think I'll spring for the box just for the 5.1. I'll just download the set in 192/24 on Qobuz and wait to get the 5.1 through other means.

Edited by EvH

wow... the "bonus" Lies tracks on the Blu-ray... THAT's the most intresting part of the Blu-ray, not the regular AFD tracks (altough I admit, Rocket Queen sounds MIGHTY).

but the Lies tracks (Patience, Used To Love Her, You're Crazy) are DIFFERENT. not only the mix is GREAT, but also the songs include, at least in my opinion, some "restored" content from the original sessions, which has been added to this, because I can't really explain this differently. these are GEMS!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zombux said:

wow... the "bonus" Lies tracks on the Blu-ray... THAT's the most intresting part of the Blu-ray, not the regular AFD tracks (altough I admit, Rocket Queen sounds MIGHTY).

but the Lies tracks (Patience, Used To Love Her, You're Crazy) are DIFFERENT. not only the mix is GREAT, but also the songs include, at least in my opinion, some "restored" content from the original sessions, which has been added to this, because I can't really explain this differently. these are GEMS!

I'm not that far yet. Still recovering from my first experience with the 5.1 mixes. Had to quit somewhere around sweet child of mine. by that point, I was hearing more things than I could handle, could grasp. I felt I was doing dishonor to this brilliant music by going through them so fast.

So for now, I'm still trying to get my head around what I have already heard, the implications, the impact, the brilliance. When I'm ready, I'll play the next couple of tracks.

I'm feeling like some lovecraft character who gets hold of the necronomicon or something and who goes crazy after reading one paragraph, due to the sheer depths of knowledge and insanity it contains. Somehow, in a weird way, hearing appetite in 5.1 blasting from 6 different speakers evokes the same emotions...

Edited by action