Which GNR songs can you play perfectly on the guitar?

For me, I'm pretty good at:

Rocket Queen (except the slide part)

Jungle

SCOM

It's So Easy

Nightrain

Mr Brownstone

Currently working on You're Crazy acoustic version and my own acoustic rendition of Civil War.

Used to play the TWAT and TIL solo, but haven't for a few years now. Also, Chinese is a pretty fun one to play, but I mostly enjoy playing the older stuff.

• GNFNR 1

Been meaning to try and learn some stuff on electric, currently I've only learned Civil War, Patience and UTLH. 

Really want to learn I.R.S., watched a video of some kid doing it on YouTube, I kept thinking to myself "I'll never be able to do that" :lol:

Edited by Dean

4 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Catcher in the Rye

Nightrain

ISE

TWAT (I can nail Robin's solo but have to improvise Bucket's)

Estranged

TIL

OTGM

Patience

LALD

Can you play Ron's Catcher lead work note for note? If so, very impressed..

• GNFNR 1

I havent played any in a while. But Guns songs were always ones I had to be extra careful to play in the correct ways. I dont know how to explain, but this video explains how sometimes we play what we think we hear, even if using tab, and we inject our own habits and style without realizing it, at the expense of the style elements of the actual player.

I was very guilty of playing my version rather then the actual nuances of things like the turn arounds in RQ or the rhythmic patterns in Locomotives main riff. Or the Izzy part in DDM main riff - I always failed to get outta my zone and into that riffs headspace.

Kinda inspired to dust em off now!

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

Whole of Appetite, but haven't played Anything Goes and Think About You in a long time, so I'm sure I'm rusty as fuck on them.

There Was A Time, Coma, Locomotive, Don't Damn Me, Dead Horse, Used To Love Her, Better, Chinese Democracy, Bad Apples, Dust N' Bones, Right Next Door To Hell, Don't Cry, Shadow Of Your Love, Silkworms, Perfect Crime...

There are a bunch of other Illusion and other GNR songs I can play but I need a list to pick them out

• GNFNR 1

A few more I left out

Yesterdays

Civil War

CD

Better (rhythm)

The Blues

My Michelle

Don't Cry

13 hours ago, AslatIE said:

Whole of Appetite, but haven't played Anything Goes and Think About You in a long time, so I'm sure I'm rusty as fuck on them.

I've been trying for quite a while to learn Think About You. The verse riff is tricky as fuck for me despite being a basic blues pattern

• Like 2

the power chord tracks (fun and easy to play):

right next door to hell

i don't care about you

reckless life

I can also play the solo at the beginning of paradise city, and a part of the long november rain solo.

I find GNR tracks to be a pain in the ass sometimes. there is that little insane run in that last november rain solo that will probably forever be out of my reach.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I can play Better on rhythm perfectly.

I can play Prostitute nearly perfect. The verse guitar work isnt really complicated, but I can play both Robins and Buckets verses parts. I also know the overdubs during the "chorus". I cant solo for shit though lol.

I can play Izzy's WTTJ part farily accurate

Edited by Mendez

On 04/07/2018 at 9:45 PM, soon said:

I havent played any in a while. But Guns songs were always ones I had to be extra careful to play in the correct ways. I dont know how to explain, but this video explains how sometimes we play what we think we hear, even if using tab, and we inject our own habits and style without realizing it, at the expense of the style elements of the actual player.

I was very guilty of playing my version rather then the actual nuances of things like the turn arounds in RQ or the rhythmic patterns in Locomotives main riff. Or the Izzy part in DDM main riff - I always failed to get outta my zone and into that riffs headspace.

Kinda inspired to dust em off now!

I've always thought the idea is to add your own style to your playing. It's a lot of fun to play slash solos using the main hooks and improvising in between. I don't necessarily want to learn every solo note for note because then you're not really actually creating anything.

Isn't that why Slash got pissed off at Paul Huge - for just copying his guitar leads on SFTD?

3 hours ago, DK6 said:

I've always thought the idea is to add your own style to your playing. It's a lot of fun to play slash solos using the main hooks and improvising in between. I don't necessarily want to learn every solo note for note because then you're not really actually creating anything.

Isn't that why Slash got pissed off at Paul Huge - for just copying his guitar leads on SFTD?

For me I like to study the way the greats play and try to completely immerse myself in their approach. I dont see this exercise as being creative necessarily, but more that it makes me a better player and gives me more freedom when I am creating my own music and being expressive.

And if Im playing Dont Cry live, I know the audience would love to hear the iconic solo. But other songs definitely lend themselves to some improve, like the outro solo of NR.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, soon said:

For me I like to study the way the greats play and try to completely immerse myself in their approach. I dont see this exercise as being creative necessarily, but more that it makes me a better player and gives me more freedom when I am creating my own music and being expressive.

And if Im playing Dont Cry live, I know the audience would love to hear the iconic solo. But other songs definitely lend themselves to some improve, like the outro solo of NR.

Yeah that sounds fair enough. I know what you mean about the iconic solos. You can't be improvising over SCOM, Don't cry or november rain (1+2) that's for sure! When you copy a solo you're always learning new licks which will help out your own playing of course. I guess the improvising is fun to do at home when your messing around more so than on stage when people are expecting a certain thing.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DK6 said:

Yeah that sounds fair enough. I know what you mean about the iconic solos. You can't be improvising over SCOM, Don't cry or november rain (1+2) that's for sure! When you copy a solo you're always learning new licks which will help out your own playing of course. I guess the improvising is fun to do at home when your messing around more so than on stage when people are expecting a certain thing.

Yeah, learning the licks is a huge pay off, in my experience. I was actually in a band with a guy who could name who first played certain blues licks. And then if the lick became a mainstay in blues he could also play the lick in all the subtly different ways that different players played it! I called bullshit on him a few times and each time he could bring out the recordings and prove it! I dont know licks nearly like that, but I respect him for it.

There was a period of time when Id go to watch some gnr live footage and I could never get more then a few songs in without turning it off and just ripping on my guitar, inspired by Slash. Id just go off in his style, and no doubt his licks. Got a lot outta that too - just jamming and improvising off his style and inspiration. Its probably all good for us, no matter what way we connect to the craft and improve as players? And it was super fun too!

30 minutes ago, soon said:

Yeah, learning the licks is a huge pay off, in my experience. I was actually in a band with a guy who could name who first played certain blues licks. And then if the lick became a mainstay in blues he could also play the lick in all the subtly different ways that different players played it! I called bullshit on him a few times and each time he could bring out the recordings and prove it! I dont know licks nearly like that, but I respect him for it.

There was a period of time when Id go to watch some gnr live footage and I could never get more then a few songs in without turning it off and just ripping on my guitar, inspired by Slash. Id just go off in his style, and no doubt his licks. Got a lot outta that too - just jamming and improvising off his style and inspiration. Its probably all good for us, no matter what way we connect to the craft and improve as players? And it was super fun too!

My guitar playing definitely begins to sound like the guitar player I'm into at a particular time! I agree mate - as long as your playing your guitar you're getting something out of it. The most important thing is that you're doing what you love to do because otherwise it's not going to stick.

• GNFNR 1

It's not a GnR song, but that new "Driving Rain'' song has a cool and typical Slash riff. Everyone on youtube seems to play it a little bit differently, but I've slowed it down to hear every note, and I think I'm playing it exactly like Slash now.

Edited by EvanG

playing through whole Appetite (excl YC) and lots of the illusion stuff works quite well, I would never call it perfectly played though. especially some of Izzy's rhythm work I find hard to copy perfectly. not sure if Izzy ever repeated the way he plays a song. Slash's solos are generally challenging but I rarely tried to do them note by note.

recently I found ain't it fun, get in the ring and new rose fun to play. next I'll try garden of eden. don't know why I never did that, the bridge riff is killer IMO