Move To The City (Acoustic) 1986

The 1986 acoustic version is the same as the one on the Rumbo Tapes. If I'm not mistaken, this means one of two things; 1) The Rumbo Tapes consist of multiple sources, 2) The Rumbo Tapes were actually recorded 1986, in Sound City. I'm leaning heavily towards the former since MTTC both sound and feel more like the acoustic Jumpin' Jack of Sound City than the, otherwise electric, Rumbo Tapes. This could obviously also explain why WTTJ, AG, Heartbreak Hotel and BOB from the Rumbo Tapes were omitted, since they would stem from a different source, of which Guns might not have access to the master tapes. 

Lastly, anyone know the story behind the Rumbo Tapes? I think it sounds like it's definitely from 1985 or early 1986.

Edited by Waemoth
I'm blind, misread the title.

2 minutes ago, 31illusions said:

MTTC acoustic 1988 is entirely new. It was never heard before this release.

Never mind, my bad. I'm blind. Still though, the one from the 1986 acoustic version claimed to be Sound City is the one on the Rumbo Tapes. 

I found the same version on a bootleg a year ago. The song was called “Booze Party”, but I could easily recognize it as an acoustic “Move to the City”. I was very surprised to learn that they put that on the remaster, with the whole “elephant dick under my arm” still there.

8 hours ago, Waemoth said:

The 1986 acoustic version is the same as the one on the Rumbo Tapes. If I'm not mistaken, this means one of two things; 1) The Rumbo Tapes consist of multiple sources, 2) The Rumbo Tapes were actually recorded 1986, in Sound City. I'm leaning heavily towards the former since MTTC both sound and feel more like the acoustic Jumpin' Jack of Sound City than the, otherwise electric, Rumbo Tapes. This could obviously also explain why WTTJ, AG, Heartbreak Hotel and BOB from the Rumbo Tapes were omitted, since they would stem from a different source, of which Guns might not have access to the master tapes. 

Lastly, anyone know the story behind the Rumbo Tapes? I think it sounds like it's definitely from 1985 or early 1986.

Rumbo Tapes and the whole "Lies sessions" is a mess. before, it was thought that Lies have been recorded in Rumbo studios in 1988, but it's more complicated as that.

Officially released tracks:

AFD SDE reveals that 3 of 4 Lies songs have been actually recorded in Take One July 1987 (Patience) and Image Studios April 1988 (UTLH, YC and the "new" MTTC). the Lies booklet has always mentioned 3 studios, not one, but no detailed info was included.

that makes the fourth track (One In A Million) only possible to have been recorded in Rumbo 1988, while all hints suggest January 1988 (others suggest August, but it doesn't seem likely). so that's for the official lies tracks.

then there's the You're Crazy alt take, which was first released at WTTJ single in October 88. according to AFD SDE it was also recorded in Take One in 1987, together with Patience.

Unreleased tracks:

unreleased Lies sessions then are alternate take of OIAM and alternate take of UTLH, which ends abruptly and Cornshucker follows. it's not known if these were recorded in Take One, Image or Rumbo Studios, it might have been one studio or two studios (UTLH alt + Cornshucker are a pair recorded together, but it's not certain if OIAM alt take was recorded together with them or not). 

besides these Lies sessions, there were some more songs included at "Rumbo Tapes", for example MTTC acoustic ("west coast junkie" intro) recorded in Sound City June 1986 or some West Arkeen Hell House demos recorded in September 1985 to early 1986.

Edited by zombux
  • Thanks 1

my PROVISIONAL sheet of Lies sessions:

LIES Sessions: Bootleg Official release

July 29 1987, Take One Studio, Burbank, CA    
01 Patience The Alan Niven Lies Sessions GNR Lies, Appetite For Destruction SDE
You’re Crazy (alt. take)(date and studio unsure - AFD SDE liner notes say Take One 87, but it usually is between "Rumbo" OIAM alt and UTLH alt) The Alan Niven Lies Sessions Welcome To The Jungle CDS, Appetite For Destruction SDE

April 19/20 1988, Image Studio, Hollywood, CA    
02 Used To Love Her   GNR Lies, Appetite For Destruction SDE
03 You're Crazy   GNR Lies, Appetite For Destruction SDE
Move To The City (Acoustic) (uncirculated before AFD SDE) Appetite For Destruction SDE

Rumbo Studios, Canoga Park, CA - January 1988 (some sources say August, but it doesn't seem likely due to many shows around the world)    
04 One In A Million   GNR Lies

Uncertain Lies Sessions (Take One July 87, Image Studio April 88, or Rumbo Studio in January or August 88):    
One In A Million (alt. take) The Alan Niven Lies Sessions  
Used To Love Her (alt. take) The Alan Niven Lies Sessions  
Cornshucker (certainly from the same session as Used To Love Her alt. take) The Alan Niven Lies Sessions  
  • Thanks 2