"Crash Diet" and "Bring It Back Home"

2 minutes ago, darkside259 said:

when i first listen those songs i was really surprised that weren t played live or includen in any album, why was that? 

the songs even have a note in the rollings stone https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/10-insanely-great-guns-n-roses-songs-only-hardcore-fans-know-75437/bring-it-back-home-37503/

Not sure about Bring It Back Home, but Axl said that Crash Diet was just a demo he did with West Arkeen

I'm not exactly sure what the Wildside version is, but, the longer of the two Crash Diet takes that I have could have really been something, given a little shaping.

I could easily see that as being something cleaned up, re-mixed, & re-mastered for an Illusions set, much like SoYL was for Appetite.

As an aside, what's the story behind "Too Fast to Live"?  

EDIT: About "Too Fast to Live, sorry about that....just decided to listen to it again for the first time in a very long time and it was a live jam at Donington or something, wasn't it?

Edited by oneway23

all these come from West Arkeen sessions. that's why they didn't include them - they weren't really considered "AFD sessions" or even "GNR sessions". it was more like... uhh... Axl's "Shadow company" 10 years later, a parallel thing ;) 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, zombux said:

all these come from West Arkeen sessions. that's why they didn't include them - they weren't really considered "AFD sessions" or even "GNR sessions". it was more like... uhh... Axl's "Shadow company" 10 years later, a parallel thing ;) 

Someone's been brushing up on their "Chinese Whispers" reading! :lol:

All those years that I had bootlegs from flea markets when I was in middle school & high school, I always assumed all of those songs were Illusions takes, especially because it fit with the narrative that G n' R were between drummers, so, OK, of course, they had to use a drum machine on the demos, right?  LOL  Only later did I find out most of them were from 1987 at West's house.

3 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

Someone's been brushing up on their "Chinese Whispers" reading! :lol:

All those years that I had bootlegs from flea markets when I was in middle school & high school, I always assumed all of those songs were Illusions takes, especially because it fit with the narrative that G n' R were between drummers, so, OK, of course, they had to use a drum machine on the demos, right?  LOL  Only later did I find out most of them were from 1987 at West's house.

older, the stuff was probably recorded during September 85 to early 86 :) right between Mystic and Sound City sessions.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tony adler said:

Are there any topics that describe the new sound quality of ‘crash diet’ and the other songs?

what do you mean by "new sound quality"? it is unreleased, that's it.

(OK, Crash diet actually WAS eventually released, by a band called Asphalt Ballet, on their 1993 album called Pigs - but we can safely consider that a 100% cover version, altough Danny Clarke - Asphalt Ballet's guitarist - was involved in writing Crash Diet)

Edited by zombux

there's more.

West Arkeen Hell House Demos — Sept. 1985-Early 1986  
01 Just Another Sunday (not from West Arkeen Tape, but presumably from same session because it’s in the intro for Bring It Down Home) The Story Vol. I
02 Crash Diet The Story Vol. I
03 The Garden The Story Vol. I
04 Too Much Too Fast (correct title according to West Arkeen Tape) The Story Vol. I
05 Bad Obsession The Story Vol. I
06 Bring It Down Home (correct title according to West Arkeen Tape liner) The Story Vol. I
07 Sentimental Movie The Story Vol. I
08 Yesterdays The Story Vol. I
09 Crash Diet (Alternate Mix) (not from West Arkeen Tape, but presumably remixed from the same track) The Hell Revisited
10 Drum Machine Instrumental #1 (not from West Arkeen Tape, but presumably from same drum machine sessions) The Hell Revisited
11 Drum Machine Instrumental #2 (‘The Garden’ Song Sketch) (not from West Arkeen Tape, but presumably from same drum machine sessions) The Hell Revisited

(uncirculating tracks not included in the list)
(silent credits for originally compiling this and THANK YOU goes to "you know who you are" ;) )

1 hour ago, donny said:

neither are worth listening to 

Not so, in my opinion.  Too Much Too Soon sounds like Axl going for a little bit of a Billy Joel feel, so, that's subjective whether you enjoy it or not.  I personally don't mind it.

Too Fast To Live was basically a live improv, right?  I'd love to be able to rip something like that off at the drop of a (top)hat!

Edited by oneway23

11 hours ago, oneway23 said:

All those years that I had bootlegs from flea markets when I was in middle school & high school, I always assumed all of those songs were Illusions takes, especially because it fit with the narrative that G n' R were between drummers, so, OK, of course, they had to use a drum machine on the demos, right?

same happened to me :lol:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, oneway23 said:

Not so, in my opinion.  Too Much Too Soon sounds like Axl going for a little bit of a Billy Joel feel, so, that's subjective whether you enjoy it or not.  I personally don't mind it.

Too Fast To Live was basically a live improv, right?  I'd love to be able to rip something like that off at the drop of a (top)hat!

correct, TFTL was not a studio demo.

4 hours ago, oneway23 said:

Too Much Too Fast is the actual title of Too Much Too Soon?  Huh....And then there's Too Fast To Live...It's all too much! :wow:

keep in mind that some of these "titles" (like "Too Fast To Live" for example) were probably created by whoever pressed and sold those bootleg discs

I remember other titles like

"Meat and Beer Jam" -- which was Aint Going Down instrumental if I am not mistaken

"Sweet Lorraine" -- which was actually "November Rain" if i remember correctly

"Axl's Blues" (a.k.a. "Cop Rap") -- for the Blues Jam they did in Madison 1987

"The Avengers" for another live jam

and a few more

love those bootleggers!

:headbang:

Edited by ludurigan
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, ludurigan said:

keep in mind that some of these "titles" (like "Too Fast To Live" for example) were probably created by whoever pressed and sold those bootleg discs

I remember other titles like

"Meat and Beer Jam" -- which was Aint Going Down instrumental if I am not mistaken

"Sweet Lorraine" -- which was actually "November Rain" if i remember correctly

"Axl's Blues" (a.k.a. "Cop Rap") -- for the Blues Jam they did in Madison 1987

"The Avengers" for another live jam

and a few more

love those bootleggers!

:headbang:

A lot of those names reminded me of bootlegs I no longer have, which reminded me of the trips I used to take to go look for them, which THEN got me thinking about the people I was with when I got them, one or two of whom are no longer with us, so, thank you very much for that nice trip down memory lane...I appreciate it!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tony adler said:

I was just curious as to how crash diet sounds on the new afd remaster release( every axl bootleg always sounded scratchy , yes it’s an old demo, was it touched up at all or just put in there as is?

Box set

Sorry, Tony, Crash Diet didn't make it onto this one!  Good song, though! 

Zombux is currently teaching a refresher course for those of us old-timers who maybe smoked too much pot or drank too much beer while listening to GN'R in our younger days and possibly forgot some of the things we used to know when it comes to these old songs:lol: Why not pull up a chair?!? 

Edited by oneway23
  • Haha 2