Front row and moving around during the concert

I'll be attending three shows this summer - Chorzow, Tallinn and Oslo. Any of you who have been in the Golden Circle (and front rows), I have some questions :lol:

• How early ahead do you go to get in the front row?
  • When do you buy merch?  :wow:
  • Is it even possible to move away from the front row? I imagine not.. but lets say the gates open around 4.30pm, you're in the front row and need to get a drink/ go to the toilets. How? :wow: Not at all? 
  • How do people get signs in? My Tallinn ticket instructions say that they're all forbidden. Any tips? :P
  • Any other tips/tricks to know? 

Thanks! :slash:

15 minutes ago, carola said:

How early ahead do you go to get in the front row?

Depends how picky you are. If you just want to be somewhere on the barrier, probably not super early, maybe an hour or two before gates. If you want to be center, very early. Like, well before noon probably. 

16 minutes ago, carola said:

When do you buy merch?  :wow:

GN'R usually has a merch booth outside the venue, so you can grab it before you go in. 

17 minutes ago, carola said:

Is it even possible to move away from the front row? I imagine not.. but lets say the gates open around 4.30pm, you're in the front row and need to get a drink/ go to the toilets. How? :wow: Not at all? 

Somebody might be nice enough to hold your spot if you do it right when you get into the venue. But I wouldn't count on that. The simple answer is "you don't".

18 minutes ago, carola said:

How do people get signs in? My Tallinn ticket instructions say that they're all forbidden. Any tips? :P

That varies by venue, and every venue has a different level of security and different policies. If you try to take one in where there's a restriction, be prepared for security to take it away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

That's a Download special :P a tradition if you like :lol:

Oh, I didnt realize it was a Download-specific thing. Makes slightly more sense! :lol: I like your traditions, with ferret down the pants competition being a personal fave :lol:

• Haha 2

It’s miserable getting front row. You wait 5 plus hours in a line just to get to another line, then you get through to that line, then a couple hours later you get into the venue but typically have to sprint with people pushing you down stairs as you get to the floor, then you get a wristband, then you touch a rail, then you check your watch and realize gnr won’t be on stage for 2 more hours so you literally stand for 6-9 hours straight just to have a front row spot in which you stand for another 3 hours to watch the show and by the end you can barely move, your legs don’t work and you realize you had zero fun. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

It’s miserable getting front row. You wait 5 plus hours in a line just to get to another line, then you get through to that line, then a couple hours later you get into the venue but typically have to sprint with people pushing you down stairs as you get to the floor, then you get a wristband, then you touch a rail, then you check your watch and realize gnr won’t be on stage for 2 more hours so you literally stand for 6-9 hours straight just to have a front row spot in which you stand for another 3 hours to watch the show and by the end you can barely move, your legs don’t work and you realize you had zero fun. 

Damn! Zero fun though? :( Sounds tough! 

Also.. If you know, then what about the early entry guys? Don't they block the front row? Or is there only a rather small amount of EEs? 

8 minutes ago, carola said:

Damn! Zero fun though? :( Sounds tough! 

Also.. If you know, then what about the early entry guys? Don't they block the front row? Or is there only a rather small amount of EEs? 

Early entries are odd. Like in Vegas I was early entry for the first night and thought it wouldn’t be terrible getting up front but ended up four rows back. But I’ve seen early entries have no issue getting on the rail 

I've been front row for 4 out of the 5 NITL shows I've seen (and the one where I wasn't front row, I was in one of the last rows of the upper bowl, quite the contrast!). I would recommend arriving a couple hours early, and unless you're very tall, don't go front row/dead center. They usually move the monitors after the opening band(s), so if you're off to the side a bit you can still see around the monitors, but if you're facing the end of the runway, the monitors might obscure some of the view.

And there's usually a merch booth outside, I've had time to get a litho or shirt and run it back to the car or hotel, but there was also someone holding my spot in line at the venue.

As for leaving the rail, I've only had positive experiences at GNR shows, usually people are nice enough to hold your spot if you need a bathroom break - and if not, just offer to buy them a beer for holding your spot. :P

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Pretty much this. The waiting, the worrying about being in front and rushing to the stage can be stressful. Is it worth it? Yes, but It's probably better to enjoy yourself and have a good time wherever you are inside.

3 hours ago, carola said:

I'll be attending three shows this summer - Chorzow, Tallinn and Oslo. Any of you who have been in the Golden Circle (and front rows), I have some questions :lol:

• Is it even possible to move away from the front row? I imagine not.. but lets say the gates open around 4.30pm, you're in the front row and need to get a drink/ go to the toilets. How? :wow: Not at all? 
  • How do people get signs in? My Tallinn ticket instructions say that they're all forbidden. Any tips? :P

- Here in Southamerica fans are capable of camping 2 or 3 days before  the show :wow: so there's no way to beat them to the rail if you are a bit lazy like me :P

I didn't make it to the rail in my shows but I got pretty close, like 2 or 3 rows from the stage, but since I am lazy I made sure I invited as many people as I could and that's how I arrived to my shows like 1 or 2 hours before, relying on friends who would keep me a spot.

If you are going alone, this is kind of hard to do, almost impossible. Let alone going to the restroom is hell..... unless you are very friendly and make friends quickly.

- In all my shows I bought the merch AFTER it was over. No way was I willing to be holding stuff in my hands during the show. The good thing was that there were about 10 stores inside the stadiums so not all of them ran out of merch that quickly. But if you dont want to risk the chance of buying something specific, then you have to get it before you go in or once you are inside.

- I have no experience with signs... I don't like my hands busy while Im in the middle of a crowd that pushes and shoves :shrugs: and also, that depends on the policy of the stadium.

I guess it is easier to sneak a banner made of cloth than a cardboard sign. You could wrap it around your neck or your waist.

- Other tips: as soon as you find your spot, try to sit down and rest, because when more people get in and the supporting act begin, you might be forced to stand up and never be able to rest again until GN'R show is over.

Stay hydrated and eat well, but not heavy. You dont want to be surprised by nature in the middle of the show :facepalm:

Take care of your personal things like cellphone, keys, money... Every time my shows were over, people spent a long time looking for things they lost in the mess... I've seen glasses and shoes on the floor!! :lol:

Edited by killuridols
  • Thanks 1

not trying to dissuade anyone from going up front. but I got up front for VR during their first tour and it was miserable.  it was all dudes and it felt like I had wrestled each one of them but the end of the show.  every time slash would come to our side of the stage, the whole crowd would move with him.  meaning that I was left to fight for my front row spot.  

so if u are gonna do this, make sure you are in shape, well hydrated and wearing a diaper!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Chester 524 said:

it was all dudes and it felt like I had wrestled each one of them but the end of the show.  every time slash would come to our side of the stage, the whole crowd would move with him.  meaning that I was left to fight for my front row spot.  

:lol:

This is totally my experience when I picked the Slash side :facepalm:

People just go nuts for him!! Being in Duff's side was nicer, except for when Axl pays him a visit :lol:

And yeah, keeping your spot is really hard, you can lose it but you can also gain a better spot if you know how to take advantage of the "waves".

What sucks is that you spend most of the show paying attention to what people around you are doing and not so much to what's going on onstage :max:

Edited by killuridols
  • GNFNR 2

honestly dont see it being worth the hastle being front row unless youre under 5 feet tall... ive been 3rd or 4th row like 3 times and honestly got there about 15 mins before they went on stage... just enough time to get a beer... went back to get beer and piss during the shitty parts and got my spot back... just wiggle through and make sure people see you

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, carola said:

I got front row in the two NITL shows I attended. You have to queue early, about 9 or 10am. Don't worry if you're going alone, you're gonna make 'friends' while waiting, you're all there for the same thing so the convos will be nice and mostly about GNR and where you're from, cause you'll have people from other countries in the line. Make sure you take a lot of water, food (sandwiches and snacks mostly) and sunscreen with you. Sit as soon as you arrive to the line, your back is gonna thank you later!

STAY HYDRATED!!

Go to the toilet before the doors open. Don't worry, if you ask the people you've been talking while waiting, they're gonna save your spot for you while you use the toilet. 

Before the doors open, make sure you take everything you can't take into the venue out of your backpack - that way it's faster to pass by security. No jackets around your waist and the backpack already open and organized to show it to security. Once you pass by security just run and run, even out of breath...it feels like you're running the 100 metres, you're gonna feel like dying, but it's really worth it :P 

When you get to the rail you usually can sit down too. Enjoy it, cause it's gonna be only for some minutes, but -again- your back is gonna thank you later :P If you're lucky you can go to the bathroom or buy merch or drinks when you're already at the rail, but this depends on how cool people around you are. I wouldn't count on it :shrugs:

Then it's just enjoy. Adrenaline will play an important role ;) When the show is over you will forget how to walk, but you will leave so happy that you won't care about the pain or anything.

Again:

STAY HYDRATED!!

Edited by dgnr
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, dgnr said:

Before the doors open, make sure you take everything you can't take into the venue out of your backpack 

Here we were not allowed to wear backpacks.

I think it is rude to go front row wearing those big things. They hit the person behind and when there is pogo, you better throw it somewhere or stay away from the pogo :max:

7 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Here we were not allowed to wear backpacks.

I think it is rude to go front row wearing those big things. They hit the person behind and when there is pogo, you better throw it somewhere or stay away from the pogo :max:

Yeah ,but South American crowds are way crazier than European crowds. No pogos here :P I would never made it to frontrow if I went to a South America show, I'm sure :awesomeface: I took a small backpack to both shows and it stayed on the floor at my feet all the time. And it only had my wallet, phone, powerbank and cigarette packet, the less is inside the easier is to pass by security.

Edited by dgnr

36 minutes ago, dgnr said:

Yeah ,but South American crowds are way crazier than European crowds. No pogos here :P I would never made it to frontrow if I went to a South America show, I'm sure :awesomeface: I took a small backpack to both shows and it stayed on the floor at my feet all the time. And it only had my wallet, phone, powerbank and cigarette packet, the less is inside the easier is to pass by security.

Yeah, we are crazy.... only fanny packs were allowed for GN'R shows :ph34r: 

Lol no wallet! I took some $$ for the merch, ID, bus card, keys, ticket and phone. 

5 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Only time I've ever been in or near front row was during an assigned seating situation. I admire the fuck out of those who have the dedication to make it happen for GA shows though. 

Yeah I did it in 2011 and just couldn't. Enjoyed the hell out of it but after standing for so damn long (late starts were still the norm) and after spending the day driving 8 hours to the venue city my back was like, dude get the fuck outta here.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

my favourite  sport Indeed.

Once a year I love doing this. It's so much fun! :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1