Guns N' Roses & related STUDIO SESSIONS - a definitive collection of available info (?)

But hey, weren't live era recordings to be placed in 97/99?

I heard once that in the canadian version of Live Era is written that axl re-recorded his vocals in '97. 
Also, I might be the only one, but i can CLEARLY hear Finck's voice in "Mr.Browstone".

I guess it's missin' maddy in the 2001 list. 

PS : I'm not tryin' to be the ass here, just wanting to fullfil this list even more.

Edited by NeonKinight

I'll make a list of what i think it's missin 

1 - Live Era Studio Sessions (Axl clearly re-recorded his voice, and there''s a lot of new guitar parts n' solos. Also, @troccoli has a '96 live era promo. I don't know if it has the same vocals or not) 
2. Maddy 2001 in the 2001 List. Also, Roy Thomas Baker started to work with GN'R in the fall of 2000. 
3. AFD '99 - Rumbo Recorders Studio, San Francisco, CA 1998. Also, it has been reported that the instrumental version of patience 98/99 has leaked a couple years ago, wich i think is a complete bullshit, but worth the info, anyway.
4. Shadow Of Your Love - The 1st Released one was recorded 'round 2-4 june '87 in mystic studios.
5. 1998 New Songs - Ides Of March, Oklahoma/Berlin, Oh My God, This I Love (What Dreams May Come Version)

Thanks for this!

I posted my opinion on the Civil War recording timeline in the KOHD-Days of Thunder thread before I saw this one.

I think it was recorded before June 1990, probably in April-May:

-------

The Spaghetti Incident sessions:

1. Down On The Farm and Ain't It Fun were also part of the UYI recordings (unknown sessions - uncirculated)

Sources about Down On The Farm:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/slash-the-rolling-stone-interview-189160/

http://www.a-4-d.com/t2885-1991-05-26-interview-with-duff-on-detroit-free-press

The recording of Ain't It Fun (with vocals) was mentioned in Axl's 1991 MTV interview with Kurt Loder (and of course there is the hint on the UYI booklet)

2. You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory (Duff) was recorded some time during the tour in 1991 (I have to look for the source, but I've read it in one of the interviews of the time)

3. Gilby says here

http://www.a-4-d.com/t607-1994-05-24-interview-with-gilby

that there were seven songs recorded with Izzy. If he didn't count You Can't Put Your Arms... in those, it's possible that there was one more recording during the UYI sessions, probably Human Being (instrumental at least)

4. Hair Of The Dog, Raw Power and possibly Human Being were recorded in various sessions during the UYI tour between 1992-93 (sources: the Gilby interview and other interviews). Buick Makane was recorded either during the tour too or a little after that (source: Axl and Slash Rockline interview, Jan. 1994).

5. They recorded more songs during the tour: "a couple of Hanoi Rocks songs that never made it, and a bunch of Iggy Pop songs that never made it, though one did make it. We recorded a bunch of stuff over a year, every now and then" (Gilby). Slash also mentions here that they recorded another Stooges song but Axl liked the Raw Power vocal better.

So there is definitely uncirculated stuff related to TSI sessions that could be included in a UYI box set.

------------

The TIL demo sessions: possibly Paris 1992, London 1992 and Sydney 1993 (source: Chinese Whispers)

CD eras:

- Beavan said on the GNR Central podcast that he wasn't involved in the AFD re-recording.

- He also said that the songs he has a credit for on CD have the same vocals he had recorded. So there must be unleaked demos with vocals from the Beavan era for CD the song, The Blues, Madagascar, Riad and Prostitute. CD and The Blues are also mentioned (besides TWAT, IRS and Catcher) in the RS interview from Jan. 2000 as songs that were played for the interviewer; Oklahoma is also mentioned as played as an instrumental (from this it must be presumed that the other mentioned songs had vocals).

EDIT: Also Youth produced demos from 1998-99: Prostitute (mentioned by Youth on the GNR Central podcast), Madagascar. Most likely instrumentals only.

Edited by Blackstar

Not sure if this counts? The title said "& related" which I guess this is. From a french interview in 2001...

Izzy: In April, 1995, Duff calls me again: "I'm trying to compose new songs for the guys in GN'R. Come and give me a hand." [...] I'd left Guns but I said to myself: 'Well shit, after all, why not?' Duff and I wrote ten pieces in the space of a week. We even recorded them as demos.

Popular Magazine 2001 wrote:

Izzy: In '95, Duff and me recorded songs for the band [GN'R]. We made a tape that went nowhere. Then, a couple of months ago I have a message on my answering machine: 'Yo! It's Axl, I need a copy of the songs that you did.' There was one called 'Down by the Ocean' or 'Down by the Sea', they may have used it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Agreed, I'm just not sure where. 

@zombux are you cool with this being pinned in The Jungle perhaps? 

Cool.

What about the Downloads section?

Should be somewhere easily accessible for people who have an interest in collecting, tracking down this material.

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Agreed, I'm just not sure where. 

@zombux are you cool with this being pinned in The Jungle perhaps? 

I'm really not sure where this belongs, it doesn't fit very much into any forum. I guess it would get lost in The Jungle. maybe Downloads would be the best?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

So there is definitely uncirculated stuff related to TSI sessions that could be included in a UYI box set.

thanks for info. UYI section in the sheet is very sketchy yet, I only put some of the info there. I really hope some UYI box set will come and clear the confusion.

I went through all booklets of every single album and single and tried to get some info, but no luck there. 

AFD was recorded in 3 studios, possibly some instruments here, others there, then it was mixed together, but that's all we know (my source: AFD Engineer Micajah Ryan https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7873768/guns-n-roses-appetite-for-destruction-oral-history)

UYI is a complete mess, and they seem to be VERY unwilling to give studio details. even every single song released as single has the exact same info about studios attached - 6 of them. and that's probably bullshit, even though anything is possible.

I only found some recording info for GITR and SIDHY, not sure if this was only listed at HTGTH or also elsewhere.

what a damn mess...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, donny said:

"2001 demos"

only 3 songs ? madagascar, the blues and TWAT

i have a chinese democracy(the song) demo from 2001

I heard that one, I think it's fanmade/fake. definitely NOT leaked with the 2001 wave of leaks and it sounds suspiciously too close to RIR2001 and 2002 live versions

3 minutes ago, zombux said:

I heard that one, I think it's fanmade/fake. definitely NOT leaked with the 2001 wave of leaks and it sounds suspiciously too close to RIR2001 and 2002 live versions

oh ok. it was posted a few years ago on the youtube channel belonging to the person that gave you 2001 madagascar so thought it must be genuine

5 minutes ago, donny said:

oh ok. it was posted a few years ago on the youtube channel belonging to the person that gave you 2001 madagascar so thought it must be genuine

the person is full of shit :) I'm not saying it's 100% fake, anything is possible. but I think that it's unlikely. might be similar situation to "Going Down 2002" which was pretended to be a real thing, and in the end it was just an edit.

9 hours ago, NeonKinight said:

4. Shadow Of Your Love - The 1st Released one was recorded 'round 2-4 june '87 in mystic studios.

do you have some more info for this? because I think you are wrong here and in fact it was 2-4 June 1986 in Sound City.