Guns N' Roses & related STUDIO SESSIONS - a definitive collection of available info (?)

4 minutes ago, kevinb said:

Does anyone have a copy of any of the old GNR rehearsals from 1985?  Do we think these even exist?  And does anybody have ANY TRUE gnr rehearsal tapes at all?

I'm pretty sure that only the fourth rehearsal was recorded. 

7 minutes ago, 31illusions said:
October 26th 1990 (rough mix)      
Estranged (rough mix) "GN'R Rough Mixes" DAT "GN'R Rough Mixes" DAT  

October 30th 1990 (rough mix)      
Estranged (rough mix) "GN'R Estranged Rough Mix" DAT "GN'R Estranged Rough Mix" DAT  

November 2nd 1990 (rough mix)      
Coma (Instrumental with Axl's notes where which vocals will go) "GN'R Ruff with New Axl Vocal" DAT "GN'R Ruff with New Axl Vocal" DAT

@zombux Are these the official release without vocals or a different instrumental demo worth listening to? Is there a link to these, possibly YT?

Edited by 31illusions

6 hours ago, 31illusions said:

@zombux Are these the official release without vocals or a different instrumental demo worth listening to? Is there a link to these, possibly YT?

these are known to exist, but not circulating publicly. only photos of the DAT tapes with those are circulating somehow. I asked the guy who has them, if he can share them, but he never reacted, he doesn't seem to be bothered.

10 hours ago, Sergeanur said:

All of the Niven tracks seem to be the same session. I even tend to think Move To The City is the same session too (instrumental wise at least).

It was pointed out to me, rather embarassingly :facepalm: , that the (and my) general belief that there was only one GNR Lies session (in Jan 1988), was completely wrong.

All the 'evidence' ( boxset liner notes + the FACT that the Niven tracks are from ONE session) points to this conclusion :

July 29 1987, Take One Studio, Burbank, CA

- Patience [officially released]

- You're Crazy [alt. take - officially released]

- One In A Million [officially released] -> ??? UNCERTAIN/UNCONFIRMED - EDUCATED GUESS

- Used To Love Her [alt. take - circulating unofficially]

- Cornchucker [circulating unofficially]

- One In A Million [alt. take - circulating unofficially]

April 19 1988, Image Studio, Hollywood, CA

- Used To Love Her [officially released]

- You're Crazy [officially released]

April 20 1988, Image Studio, Hollywood, CA

- Move To The City [officially released]

This all just goes to show that we CANNOT blindly trust band member quotes in interviews (of which I am guilty as well), because they can be proven to be wrong time and time again.  Even Marc Canter gets some details wrong.  Who can blame them, it's been 30+ years.

nice. but now, how does that Rumbo Studios info from Lies Booklet fit into this? still the only option there is, is OIAM album version for this session...

edit: + I also think the Take One studios track order should be as follows:

01 Patience
02 One In A Million (alt. take)
03 You're Crazy (alt. take)
04 Used To Love Her (alt. take)
05 Cornshucker

Image Studios track oirder seems OK, at least we can't guess if UTLH and YC were recorded in this order or not.

with OIAM album version probably remaining for Rumbo 88 (?)

Edited by zombux

6 minutes ago, zombux said:

nice. but now, how does that Rumbo Studios info from Lies Booklet fit into this? still the only option there is, is OIAM album version for this session...

Yeah. Another thing that maybe hints to the two OIAM versions having been recorded in different sessions is that Axl had said that when they came up with the new arrangement for OIAM (with Izzy's electric guitar) he changed his vocal approach because the low vocals he had used in the acoustic version didn't come off well.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, zombux said:

edit: + I also think the Take One studios track order should be as follows:

01 Patience
02 One In A Million (alt. take)
03 You're Crazy (alt. take)
04 Used To Love Her (alt. take)
05 Cornshucker

Image Studios track oirder seems OK, at least we can't guess if UTLH and YC were recorded in this order or not.

with OIAM album version probably remaining for Rumbo 88 (?)

This list is exactly my thought. The '87 session was all acoustic for those songs and the '88 session had a electric guitar added in.

A quote from Axl published in June 1988 also suggests that material expected to be included in their forthcoming EP was recorded at the end of an Appetite session, but also that they had "just" been recording:

That's what we're doing next week (at press time -- Ed.). We've just been recording, and we might even leave it intact, as it is, or use it as a B-side. When we went into the studio initially, to do some test tracks and lay down some songs and see what we had together, we had about 27 songs together when Geffen first signed us. So we went in, laid that down, and we were in there for like two days, and at the end of the second day we just got into an acoustic jam [Rock Scene, June 1988].

So this supports two separate acoustic sessions, one about when they recorded Appetite and one in the first half of 1988.

From other contemporary quotes, it does seem like one session was more important than the other and that it was all done fairly quickly:

Duff: The acoustic stuff we did in like, a day, right. So, I mean, we didn't... It wasn't a huge project or anything like that. It's just, I think, to show another side of the band, sort of. And also, you know, our next album is not gonna be out for a while. So, there's a huge void space then we'd like to fill in a bit [MTV, October 1988]. 

Steven: No, we did all of this in just an hour. We sit around when we get we're at home together, we drink and you know we have bongos and tambourines and all kinds of percussion stuff, acoustic guitars, we sit around at home, you know, get drunk and write stuff, so we say, "Hey, let's record some of this stuff, maybe the kids might like it" [Audio interview, December 1988].

Duff: Yeah, so we just did it in like two days. We recorded that. This is not our next album, you know, I must clarify that, it's just an in-between. The next album we'll start recording in January. That's when we're gonna to take a lot of time, months, okay? So this is just...how do I word this, I don't wanna say it's filler because it's not, but it's just in between the two records, it's a different side of us [Audio interview, December 1988].

Finally, in Musician from December 1988, it is said that as late as September 1988 the magazine had problems doing an interview with Axl because he was so busy with other things, including laying down vocals for the forthcoming EP. If true, this would indicate that some of the vocals on Lies are not from the earlier sessions.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

A quote from Axl published in June 1988 also suggests that material expected to be included in their forthcoming EP was recorded at the end of an Appetite session, but also that they had "just" been recording:

That's what we're doing next week (at press time -- Ed.). We've just been recording, and we might even leave it intact, as it is, or use it as a B-side. When we went into the studio initially, to do some test tracks and lay down some songs and see what we had together, we had about 27 songs together when Geffen first signed us. So we went in, laid that down, and we were in there for like two days, and at the end of the second day we just got into an acoustic jam [Rock Scene, June 1988].

So this supports two separate acoustic sessions, one about when they recorded Appetite and one in the first half of 1988.

Axl is talking about the Sound City sessions where they recorded acoustic versions of 'Jumping Jack Flash' and 'Move To The City' for example.  I read it like he's referring to 'an earlier time when they first started recording these acoustics things'.   The only thing in this quote that refers to the actual GNR Lies sessions are the first sentences, in bold, I assume he's talking about the April 19/20 1988 GNR Lies session there.

What do you guys think ?

44 minutes ago, StefanF said:

What about the '88 Under My Wheels recording with Alice Cooper (The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years)?

that one was a guest appearance, I didn't include that one because there were numerous others like that one! ;) 

7 hours ago, Evan442 said:

Where did these Bumblefoot guitar overlays originate from?  Anyone know?  And is it a fact that Atlas was included in that batch?

BBF once said in an interview that when he joined the band, he was given a couple of older tracks to lay guitar over them. it was supposed to be very soon after he joined the band.

39 minutes ago, zombux said:

BBF once said in an interview that when he joined the band, he was given a couple of older tracks to lay guitar over them. it was supposed to be very soon after he joined the band.

Yeah but how did they get in the hands of the hoarders?

11 minutes ago, NeonKinight said:

This thread cannot die.

Sometimes I wonder...BBF layered his guitar in Silk, OMG n' Going Down, and in the same email he received atlas....Well, Silk, OMG and Going Down are on circulation, so y not atlas?

Maybe because it's not true that Atlas was included in the same email?

Edited by Propaganda

1 minute ago, Propaganda said:

Maybe because it's not true that Atlas was included in the same email?

yes, maybe. I got the info that he layed the guitar track on those songs, but the info didn't include specific details about if it was one bunch or more, or any other details.

I wonder if Brain and Melissa ever recorded her version of Sorry? When they did the NBA halftime shows, she sang a version of it, they also performed Better Gone & If the World.